Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 04:40:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who will be first major player to accept bitcoins in UK?  (Read 1859 times)
gsingh (OP)

Activity: 146
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 09:00:13 PM

Can't wait to see some major player start accepting bitcoin to start the trend here in UK?

Will it be ASDA, Tesco, Currys... ?? Any guesses and why?

FlappySocks

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 09:25:43 PM

An online store would be my guess.  Amazon maybe.
Dodgers

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 09:31:37 PM

Can't wait to see some major player start accepting bitcoin to start the trend here in UK?

HMRC....Inland Revenue??.....
remotemass
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1017

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 09:35:50 PM

"Sainsbury's", "Just Eat", "Hungry House", "CeX" and "Cash Converters". Just a feeling!

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".
stimpi

Activity: 7

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 10:42:57 PM

Surely takeaway.com counts as the first then?
Thom

Activity: 112

Be kind man, don't be mankind

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 10:59:08 PM

"CeX"

lol. I tried to hock my local CeX some block erupters way overprice and nearly managed to convince them to fill the PCs that run their displays with miners.

Plus bitcoinland already has a cex that makes way more money than selling your old tech

It's short for Thomassina ⚥ • BTC veteran, Bitcointalk neophyte • BTC1THoM4cn8hHTyE637DEPMCLcerZe1mL1X • Cex.IO Cloud Mining - don't risk preorders, mine & trade now!
༺ ☤ Curecoin - Fold Proteins, Earn Coins! ☤   CURE: B8cjEuGKH3qofsxGGEVYdTwUrpfCTxQP7u ༻
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 11:06:57 PM

Lol it wont be any of them. Those places will be the last to accept Bitcoin.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:44:47 AM

Until there's a GBP exchange that exists and actually works there won't be any big players. They're not going to wait for Bitstamp to carry out two currency conversions until they get GBP back.

It'll be down to the little people who stay in Bitcoin to make any retail progress here until it changes. The UK is a backwater for Bitcoin which is pathetic considering its standing as a financial hub.
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 08:43:42 AM

I just don't think any high street retailer is ready to accept bitcoin yet. Computer Exchange should be perfect to be a pioneer, but they don't seem to be considering it. I believe the next big company accepting bitcoins will just do it for the marketing effect.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 09:39:21 AM

Until there's a GBP exchange that exists and actually works there won't be any big players. They're not going to wait for Bitstamp to carry out two currency conversions until they get GBP back.

It'll be down to the little people who stay in Bitcoin to make any retail progress here until it changes. The UK is a backwater for Bitcoin which is pathetic considering its standing as a financial hub.

Well you can buy sell coins in the UK on Bittylicious but I don't know whether you'd call them an exchange or just a place to buy sell BTC, but I don't think doing two currency conversations is such a big deal any way.
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:39:36 PM

The volume on Bittylicious is low and it's effectively peer to peer, not an exchange.

I don't think any retailer doing thousands of transactions a day is going to risk waiting for Bitstamp to do a BTC - USD - EUR - GBP conversion when their entire profit margin might only be 1-5% and that could vapourise into a loss instantly. Overstock and anyone else in the US goes straight into dollars.

guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:42:36 PM

The volume on Bittylicious is low and it's effectively peer to peer, not an exchange.

I don't think any retailer doing thousands of transactions a day is going to risk waiting for Bitstamp to do a BTC - USD - EUR - GBP conversion when their entire profit margin might only be 1-5% and that could vapourise into a loss instantly. Overstock and anyone else in the US goes straight into dollars.

They will also use a similar payment processor like Bitpay or something else.
calmindifference

Activity: 91

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:59:00 PM

I would guess at Scan, maybe Ebuyer, as smaller companies with less red tape and catering to a tech aware demographic
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 01:03:03 PM

But Bitpay is dependent on a USD exchange. We need a GBP one before any large scale adoption can take place.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 01:14:43 PM

But Bitpay is dependent on a USD exchange. We need a GBP one before any large scale adoption can take place.

That's why I said or something else. Trust me, many people will be working on this as we type.
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 01:15:17 PM

Here's hoping.
piggybank

Activity: 49

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 01:32:58 PM

Yup, without a real exchange, and a real payment processor, there really can't be a big player accepting bitcoins in the UK.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 01:46:58 PM

Yup, without a real exchange, and a real payment processor, there really can't be a big player accepting bitcoins in the UK.

Maybe, but it's fine for smaller retailers. They can just hold the Bitcoin themselves. Maybe they'll see it as an investment.
gsingh (OP)

Activity: 146

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 01:49:31 PM

Even lots of smaller retailer will work for now. I'm desperately trying to live on bitcoins as much as possible. Thanks to takeaway, gaining some weight  Smiley.

jonanon

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 01:53:48 PM

PC World  Smiley Would be nice anyway  Wink
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: