Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 02:15:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why bitcoin is very different from Ponzi/Pyramid/Bubble  (Read 3659 times)
thaaanos

Activity: 370
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 04:14:21 PM

Protocols MUST evolve, so who will take up the task? You are exchanging politicians/bankers to developers, that may sound nice but it is the same thing. Power corrupts.

You assume that code is crystal : Logical, Hard and Transparent, No code is Art: Emotional, Fragile and Ellusive.

If you have not already noticed, bitcoin is already under fire, there is a technical bubble with a burst waiting to happen, greed has been used as a virus, to expand the bitcoin network, but it is also its fatal flaw. Because there are others who understand Greed better and can weaponize it for fun if they choose so. And Who can destroy a thing, can control it. Isn't that right?
I'm in agreement. I see a future where we shall have governance via protocols. People will design the best protocols and all these protocols will compete until the best survive.

It is not a situation of no regulation. It is a situation where the free market will determine the regulation that it wants. I know you're not going to agree entirely.

I don't believe bitcoin is a bubble. The adoption rate is less than 2 million souls and real money hasn't even poured in yet. Bitcoin represents the ability to transact without relying on third parties. I see that people will want this technology. In fact, I see it being the dominant and pervasive means of wealth transfer.

Those that have a moral objection to the early adopters and their hoard of btcs are always welcome to design an alternative protocol. However, one must also abide with the judgement of the markets if that protocol is rejected by open markets. What we individually find just may not be what the market wants. Satoshi understood that and designed a system to encourage early adopters.  You can't fight hard money capitalism Thaaanos.

"Protocolizing" behaviour and modus vivendi and taking human decision making out of the loop raises some ethical and philosofical for me.
It is what i call Law as Force of Nature, for me One must always have the choice to break the law. I don't know if you agree or not  but think about it hard, because for the first time in history human societies will face that decision.
An ecosystem of protocols and an evolutionary process can avoid the above pitfall, but *not* at a personal level, only at a group level.

I insist that, for bitcoin to achieve currency status, people must be willing to part their bitcoins for goods and services, not for/to FIAT, otherwise it's just a Bet as you said, a speculation, and like all bets there is a possibility of loss, and panic.
IMHO For the above to happen people should be encouraged to spend bitcoins not hodl them, and here lies a design flaw.

And yes there are grave justice issues with early minning that I believe is interlocked with the above issue.

Satosi's plan propably was to demonstrate a proof of concept, that it CAN be done, he propably didnt even thought of the issues of what a wide adoption can mean. His only concern was adoption rate, and achieving critical mass. I could bet that he doesnt even have a single bitcoin, or at least he has some hundreds.

And of course I believe that the bitcoin community should seriously consider, a proper implementation after techincal issues have been dealt, and all financial issues have apriori discussed.  And relaunch the project

If not I will have to do make a proper one Tongue myself, remember my suggestions about a rolling blockchain? If only I had time and clear head...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
asfbhero

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 02:41:42 AM

Deflation isn't attractive because people seek to convert it to another currency for profit.  Deflation is attractive because as the world economy, propelled by innovation and a growing human race, that creates economic growth;  When measured against a fixed unit of measure, for example bitcoin with a finite number of coins, by law of simple mathematics, each unit of bitcoin is becoming inherently more valuable.  Any fixed unit of measure divided by an increasing amount of stuff increases the value, the amount of stuff that each unit of measure is worth (can buy).  This cannot collapse.  If it could collapse it would be a pyramid scheme, and not deflation.  Words and their definitions matter.  Especially in macroeconomics and international banking/finance.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 05:29:43 AM

I have been starting to think that Gox has been operating like a Ponzi, and they are not getting enough new deposits for the requested withdrawals
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: