Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 08:56:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you store your passwords?  (Read 2679 times)
michielnl (OP)

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 05:59:22 AM

Hi all,

How do you store your passwords?

This is how I store my password (and related recovery information):

1. First, use two factor authentication for your wallet.
2. Do not forget to store the keyphrase to re-enable this on another phone if needed (if you will loose your phone).
3. Use a long 'random' password, like: fLF)(kfkljf_(&F763kjhdlzpgfI46#_!eoslks9fPFODu38347dhls98f5vcte_BTC_RULES_O_YEAH
4. Store your password (and related info to recover) in a text file in an encrypted RAR file (which is encrypted by 128 AES, with a very long password with capitals and non standard characters)
5. Rename this RAR file to an innocent ZIP / DOC / JPG
6. Put this file on USB and to a well known online cloud service (if your house will burn down)

By the way, it seems people are able to recover passwords for bitcoin wallets if needed:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1v5o9c/dave_bitcoin_walletrecoveryservicesgmailcom_saved/
http://www.walletrecoveryservices.com/
I hope I will never have to use them.
miaviator
Donator

Activity: 686
Merit: 519

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 06:07:09 AM

Aegis secure key 16gb USB

Primary and backup

Paper wallets in a safe deposit box

One password needed

10 wrong attempts on that key scrubs the encryption key forever and destroys the data.

Hasn't been hacked at a convention yet. 

Oh  and the wallet key never touches an internet connected computer

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 3084

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 06:12:49 AM

I use LASTPASS.  (lastpass.com)

Cannot recommend it enough.  I have 15 character random unique passwords for every site I visit.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soonish!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
miaviator
Donator

Activity: 686
Merit: 519

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 06:14:56 AM

Cannot recommend it enough.  I have 15 character random unique passwords for every site I visit.

Great product for everything web based.  There are a few of them as well.  Roboform. Password box.  Etc.

cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 08:25:56 AM

I store them in my head, and they are 20 character passphrases not passwords.

I forgot one for a BTC wallet late last year. It wasnt fun but I remembered it after trying combinations for a few days. You have to be very careful.

Not backing up your wallet and losing or forgetting your passphrase are by far the easiest ways to lose your BTC. If your wallet is locked with a decent passphrase and backed up its 99.9999999999999% safe.

Also, consider the possibility, if you have a family, that something could happen to you. Plan for such a contingency (e.g., leave an envelope with passphrases for your wife in escrow with a 3rd party)
zeetubes

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 09:41:49 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. Lastpass looks perfect. And I have a couple of yubikeys sitting around gathering dust that i can try to use after I get familiar with it. I guess now I have something to play with for the next few hours. Cool.

As far as the cold storage wallet, last week I bought a couple of ultra cheap android 4.X phones in china (~$28 each) and they have no sims, wifi disabled, factory reset etc. And the only app installed is mycelium. When I'm happy with the setup, and i've transferred the coins, I'll send one to my brother and mail him instructions on how to unlock it and/or recreate the wallet.

Any thoughts on that strategy?   
clubminer

Activity: 392

Let's get rich together

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 09:48:19 AM

I forgot one for a BTC wallet late last year. It wasnt fun but I remembered it after trying combinations for a few days. You have to be very careful.

Not backing up your wallet and losing or forgetting your passphrase are by far the easiest ways to lose your BTC. If your wallet is locked with a decent passphrase and backed up its 99.9999999999999% safe.

Also, consider the possibility, if you have a family, that something could happen to you. Plan for such a contingency (e.g., leave an envelope with passphrases for your wife in escrow with a 3rd party)

I think not made backup it, but I forget wallet number not my password  Grin

Joohansson

Activity: 212
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 10:20:04 AM

Keepass 2 on PC and kypass 3 on iPhone with dropbox to sync between them. The only password software you will ever need. Only have to remember the master password.
EvilPanda

Activity: 658

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 10:38:16 AM

I just keep them on pendrive in an ordinary txt file. I don't use all this sneaky renaming, noone touches my stuff anyway  Cheesy

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 10:44:44 AM

I just keep them on pendrive in an ordinary txt file. I don't use all this sneaky renaming, noone touches my stuff anyway  Cheesy

And now anybody who wants to touch your stuff knows exactly where you hide your passwords.
spin

Activity: 362
Merit: 261

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 10:49:02 AM

Keepass2 running on PCs and on phone and tablet. All of these are kept in sync with btsync. I love btsync for this as it is p2p file sync. 

If you liked this post buy me a beer.  Beers are quite cheap where I live!
bc1q707guwp9pc73r08jw23lvecpywtazjjk399daa
EvilPanda

Activity: 658

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:41:38 AM

And now anybody who wants to touch your stuff knows exactly where you hide your passwords.
So now he has to get my address, come here, break in, spend hours turning my house up side down searching for that pendrive and get the reward. Any volunteers?  Grin

Bitbuy

Activity: 308

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:58:03 PM

Don't like having my passwords at some online service...
Why not use Keepass2 / Keepassx? Same functionality, only completely in your control?

Great product for everything web based.  There are a few of them as well.  Roboform. Password box.  Etc.

Bitware

Activity: 926
Merit: 1001

weaving spiders come not here

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 02:06:07 PM

KEEPASS database inside a truecrypt container.
jonanon

Activity: 154

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 02:42:49 PM

I keep my main password in my mind - I've memorised it over time and think it's the most secure - unless I die and no one can retrieve it  Wink
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 03:03:13 PM

I recommend keeping passwords in your head, but not massive 20 character pass-phrases lol.
jonanon

Activity: 154

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 03:08:11 PM

I recommend keeping passwords in your head, but not massive 20 character pass-phrases lol.

Haha yeah, anything past around 8 or 9 characters becomes had to remember if you don't think about it every day!
rext

Activity: 378

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 03:16:22 PM

Hmm hide it in a swiss bank hahahah, overkill
coinpr0n

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 03:18:03 PM

Similar here. With a little maths (algorithm) involved to get the actual passwords.

guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 03:21:01 PM

Similar here. With a little maths (algorithm) involved to get the actual passwords.

As long as you use the pen drive on a safe computer. I recommend using a linux boot CD. If your computer is infected when you look at the password text file you could be in trouble.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: