Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 08:43:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can we trust Butterfly Labs to deliver?  (Read 3441 times)
seisatsu (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 08:34:49 AM
Last edit: January 14, 2014, 08:46:30 AM by seisatsu

Back when I ordered my BFL 25gh/s miner, the ASIC landscape was bumpy and uncertain, with stories of scams and indefinite pre-orders keeping the community on edge about the whole business. My hardware took 6 months to arrive, by which time its potential value had decreased significantly.

Today, Butterfly Labs made this press release:
Butterfly Labs (BF Labs Inc.), the Kansas-based leader in Bitcoin mining technology has announced the mid-December 2013 completion of nearly 45,000 ASIC product order shipments - eliminating what had been a multi-month backlog. Butterfly's 65nm product line is now available on their website for immediate sale and delivery.

Full Release

Is Butterfly Labs a safe investment at this point? Will they deliver what they're advertizing on time and in an acceptable fashion?
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 09:09:08 AM

Back when I ordered my BFL 25gh/s miner, the ASIC landscape was bumpy and uncertain, with stories of scams and indefinite pre-orders keeping the community on edge about the whole business. My hardware took 6 months to arrive, by which time its potential value had decreased significantly.

Butterfly Labs (BF Labs Inc.), the Kansas-based leader in Bitcoin mining technology has announced the mid-December 2013 completion of nearly 45,000 ASIC product order shipments - eliminating what had been a multi-month backlog. Butterfly's 65nm product line is now available on their website for immediate sale and delivery.

Full Release

Is Butterfly Labs a safe investment at this point? Will they deliver what they're advertizing on time and in an acceptable fashion?
No not at all.

HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 09:13:56 AM

Their equipment isn't competitive any more.  The power/hash ratio is too high.  For the same money you can get much more power efficient miners that are faster.
seisatsu (OP)

Activity: 8

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 09:21:02 AM

No not at all.

Not too useful buddy. I'm trying to collect realistic concerns and opinions from the community to decide whether or not to make an investment, and hopefully the discussion will be useful to other posters as well. Despite the long wait time, the BFL hardware runs fine and makes me a good $250/month. It panned out. I want to hear some perspectives on whether it might pan out again.

For the same money you can get much more power efficient miners that are faster.

I'm aware of Butterfly Labs and Avalon as ASIC providers and I've been looking into some of the Black Arrow line more recently. Any advice on what's good right now?
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 09:27:06 AM

I'm aware of Butterfly Labs and Avalon as ASIC providers and I've been looking into some of the Black Arrow line more recently. Any advice on what's good right now?

Well, there's the Avalon clones coming out of China - they're cheap,  200GH using about 1000W of power.  There's the Antminer S1 which is about 180GH and uses about 360W of power.  Those are the only ones I can think of that are reliably shipping, if you ignore the ASICMiner Cube which is 38GH at about 300W.

I'm not sure that there's much faster that's shipping at the moment.

BFL stuff is slow, and expensive, but it Just Works.  I've a pair of Jalapenos, and they just mine.  I've never any trouble with them.  Can't say the same about any of the other mining equipment I have, which has all given trouble at some point in the past.
vpasic

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 10:03:46 AM

not worth at all.
miners are overpriced and can't earn you anything unless you believe that value of btc will be $2000-$3000 in the next couple of months.
also they are still slow with shipping.
guy I know has ordered one 50GH unit in December 5 and miner arrived at custom at 10 of January.
I have 3x60GH from BFL and they earn mi nice amount of btc and money.
but will I buy from them again???  hell no!!!

Tips: 1Ejj8eANy2PLZVwrWUczkbQ8kQY2JhKqp6
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:10:07 PM

Like other ... buy only if it's in stock (like me = 13 days to received).
Bitcoin order, european delivery (full tax on custom ... butterflylab write all the price on custom paper).
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 12:18:28 PM

No not at all.

Not too useful buddy. I'm trying to collect realistic concerns and opinions from the community to decide whether or not to make an investment, and hopefully the discussion will be useful to other posters as well. Despite the long wait time, the BFL hardware runs fine and makes me a good $250/month. It panned out. I want to hear some perspectives on whether it might pan out again.

For the same money you can get much more power efficient miners that are faster.

No offense....you're lazy.  I just gave your lazy question a lazy answer.  Mining.thegenisisblock, the fact that this is the 3rd year of BS repeating itself from bfl, the whole petahashes of late Gen 2 hf and cterra hw, the whole deal with difficulty punching your so-called 250 revenue per month squarely in the crotch.  Look at my post history, you won't see lazy, "is this worth it?" Posts anywhere - the fact that you grasp for straws of credibility despite the NUMEROUS complaints here and on bfls own forum, yes you ARE LAZY!!!

If you want how right now there are are antminer s1s available on the USA reseller website for 3 btc those ship this week...not in 6-14 months. I found this from...wait for it...this forum!

Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:32:04 PM

No not at all.

No offense....you're lazy.  I just gave your lazy question a lazy answer.  Mining.thegenisisblock, the fact that this is the 3rd year of BS repeating itself from bfl, the whole petahashes of late Gen 2 hf and cterra hw, the whole deal with difficulty punching your so-called 250 revenue per month squarely in the crotch.  Look at my post history, you won't see lazy, "is this worth it?" Posts anywhere - the fact that you grasp for straws of credibility despite the NUMEROUS complaints here and on bfls own forum, yes you ARE LAZY!!!

If you want how right now there are are antminer s1s available on the USA reseller website for 3 btc those ship this week...not in 6-14 months. I found this from...wait for it...this forum!

Hate to pile on...

More than enough complaints right on BFL's own forum to beg the question are you really seriously considering BFL?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
NecroBones

Activity: 58

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 02:59:50 PM

Like other ... buy only if it's in stock (like me = 13 days to received).

I ordered in-stock, via bank transfer. Day #17, and it's still in "production" status. Despite claims of being caught up, they're still slow.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 03:16:32 PM

via bank transfer.

+7 days ...  Wink
That why i have paid with bitcoin.
rext

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 03:45:15 PM

I don't know about you man bro... but no more BFL for me...

First they take too long to deliver, 2nd when you finally got your stuff and went happy cgminer mode thinking oh yesss Cheesy, it dies after x days.
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 03:53:05 PM

Caveat Emptor. Cannot recommend purchasing from this vendor. I would suggest taking some time in reading through these forums to take in the anecdotes over the last two years, and draw your own conclusions.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 05:25:32 PM

Let's be completely naive and ignore the past and just look at the numbers.

BFL, 230 GH/s for $4255 = $18.5/ghps
MBP, 200 GH/s for $3200 = $16/ghps

Why would anyone ever choose BFL?????????????????

Buy & Hold
dropt
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 05:32:35 PM

Let's be completely naive and ignore the past and just look at the numbers.

BFL, 230 GH/s for $4255 = $18.5/ghps
MBP, 200 GH/s for $3200 = $16/ghps

BMT, 180GH/s for $2,200 = $12.2/ghps.

Why would anyone ever choose BFL?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?

I concur.
defcon23
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 10:30:18 AM

NO  Cheesy
rext

Activity: 378

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 11:12:11 AM

i rather get a knc lol
qosmio

Activity: 147

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 01:35:54 PM

No not at all.

.... Despite the long wait time, the BFL hardware runs fine and makes me a good $250/month. It panned out. I want to hear some perspectives on whether it might pan out again.

how a 25gh miner can make you 250/month Huh you lucky to make 0.2 btc in 30 days, what pool are you using?

testing Smiley
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:19:47 PM

Full Release

hahahahahahahaha ... are u serious ?
greenbtc

Activity: 210

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:13:37 PM

You can trust them to deliver nearly a year late. Sure.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: