Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:40:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcloud, Distributed Application for sharing content, PROOF OF BANDWIDTH  (Read 10866 times)
bitcoinerik

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 02:07:11 PM

I think it's a good idea.
Is there a place where I can subscribe to a mailing list to be announced when the mining can begin?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MsCollec
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 05:00:31 AM

Interesting but any updates?
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 06:25:37 AM

Making bandwidth marketable would incent people to build their own networking infrastructure which could lead to a future of truly decentralized, grass roots, bottom up approach to world wide networking. If you guys can pull this off, this is the sort of thing that could potentially save the human race from extinction or worse. If this is serious, and you guys actually have a reasonable shot at pulling this off, i want to be part of this.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
peer2peer360

Activity: 561
Merit: 500

Institute of Advance Blockchain Research

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 07:05:30 AM

Making bandwidth marketable would incent people to build their own networking infrastructure which could lead to a future of truly decentralized, grass roots, bottom up approach to world wide networking. If you guys can pull this off, this is the sort of thing that could potentially save the human race from extinction or worse. If this is serious, and you guys actually have a reasonable shot at pulling this off, i want to be part of this.

I would like to be a part of this too.

Proof of Bandwidth, New concept

this is quite interesting jus thinking about it.
bitcoinpaul

Activity: 910

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 07:49:40 AM

I'm with you. IF they are serious, this could be huge. Very huge.
melnikalex

Activity: 60

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 12:43:22 PM

The same project already in china runing...
You can visit the website https://jiaoyi.yunfan.com/
We call the software name is LIULIANGKUANG
Software serives QVOD。

Is there a place to read about this software in English?
seems working =)
google translate can help

I see no option to cashout to BTC/fiat, only to pay some services.
gu7008

Activity: 69

We are all entering a new era.

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 06:43:25 AM
Last edit: January 22, 2014, 08:17:46 AM by gu7008

The same project already in china runing...
You can visit the website https://jiaoyi.yunfan.com/
We call the software name is LIULIANGKUANG
Software serives QVOD。

Is there a place to read about this software in English?
seems working =)
google translate can help

I see no option to cashout to BTC/fiat, only to pay some services.

I can read Chinese, and I can confidently say LIULIANGKUANG is very, very different from Bitcloud. There are only similar in the idea of "reward by bandwidth".

First, it's a project serves a COMMERCIAL company, namely 深圳市快播科技有限公司 or Shenzhen QVOD Technology Co.
Second, all bandwidth in the system are facilitated by QVOD and QVOD only. QVOD is also the name of the video player of the company,
and with the important feature of P2P video sharing. And the most famous adult-video-spreading software in China, it's simply known as the "Adult Video Player".
Third, the reward, 矿石(meaning ore), can only cashout in "kuai coin(快币)", a virtual currency issued by QVOD, and "kuai coin" in turn can only pay for certain services as the company chooses.

Apparently, there is absolutely no consideration of privacy taken in LIULIANGKUANG, and the reward not even near to incent infrastructure building, it could't even payout the cost of net charge and electricity. So it's only a preferable option if you don't have much to do anyway while the computer is open.

So, all people concerning bitcloud, the territory you have glimpsed is still a virgin land! And if it succeeds, can really change the world for better. Best regards.

Bitye West

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 07:51:54 AM

looks cool
panonym

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

Help and Love one another ♥

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 05:25:15 PM

I slightly edited my previous post.
Suggesting Proof of Upload.
aara

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 10:27:45 PM

What do you mean by PROOF OF BANDWIDTH?

Is it a proof of uploading something to a network, or a proof of routing something, from one network node to another?

I think tha a proof of bandwidth can only make sense in routing, and not in uploading.
aara

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 12:38:07 AM

I also think that the total amount of bandwidth coins should be a stable number, that it will be divided to the number of network nodes that praticipate in this bandwidth proof scheme.

But, in contrast to the bitcoin scheme where old miners hold most of the bitcoins and new miners hold none, in this bandwidth proof scheme, the new members, whenever they join the cloud and they offer bandwidth, they automatically get coins (given by the old members) as percentage of the total amount of coins that exist.
peer2peer360

Activity: 561
Merit: 500

Institute of Advance Blockchain Research

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 02:26:22 AM

bitcloud haven't even been heard of by the masses jus yet

& coindesk has managed to put out an article on their project

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcloud-decentralise-revolutionise-internet/
SyRenity

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 02:29:19 AM

bitcloud haven't even been heard of by the masses jus yet
& coindesk has managed to put out an article on their project
http://www.coindesk.com/bitcloud-decentralise-revolutionise-internet/

Why, they dilute investment opportunities too early on? Wink
SyRenity

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 02:31:51 AM

But seriously, it's very interesting.

Today, whoever controls the bandwidth, controls the Internet. Wikileaks with it's constant bandwidth problems at time due to DDOS attacks, is a good example for that.

Taking this power back from corporations hand, would be quite attractive endeavor.
td services

Activity: 448

black swan hunter

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 05:06:27 AM

Liked it until I read the moderation part. I expected a Tahoe-LAFS type system, https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs and Freenet, where no one knows what or what kind of content is actually on any of the computers, and the data is partially redundent and completely encrypted. Adding the moderation capability amounts to designing in vulnerability. The system is no longer 'net neutral'.
uxchallenge

Activity: 15

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 10:21:14 AM

At the moment the ideas behind BitCloud really need a lot more thought, but it is a great opportunity for Devs and Thinkers to get together and make something happen.

Proof of bandwidth

I would argue that you cannot make an analogy with Proof-of-Stake or Proof-of-work. Its more like "evidence" for Bandwidth. You as a node want to show the network that you really did provide 100mb worth of useful file transfers, and that you didn't lie and that you didn't just transfer to other nodes you also control.

I would like to see how you can achieve Network consensus about the level of contribution that a particular node made.

Moderation should be after-the fact

I might be a little confused with the concept. Each storage node can subscribe to a number of other nodes and choose to act as their mirrors?

So it seems like you are taking a 'Whitelisting' approach. A storage node will only store stuff that has been pre-approved by a moderator.

However, in the real world most people would want to encrypt their data and this should be encouraged. So this pre-approval process cannot work as the moderator will not have the decryption key.

So it would seem better to simply encourage the use of encryption for everything while allowing moderators to perform a best-effort bad-content-censorship-with-consent process.  Whenever the moderator sees a (file hash, crypto key) pair to be dodgy content, he can update a blacklist and push to his followers.

But it really would be extremely futile.

Risk of price fixing?

How does the network decide who gets paid what? How can the network encourage competition between nodes and establish a true market price for bandwidth?

If the network is always deciding the price, then this could be a problem and could be seen as price-fixing

Do the minimum

Don't try to solve the world's problems all in one go, just focus on the smallest possible core problem and solve it well.

Look at existing work and don't reinvent when not totally necessary

Try to build upon existing work instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. For example, do your nodes need network-level anonymity? Yes. Well this is out of the scope of your project, your nodes can operate over I2P or Tor, don't waste 10 months trying to do it yourselves.

Look at existing distributed data structures (Kademlia, Freenet / BitTorrent / Tahoe) and examine how one can incentivize participation. Don't try to design your own unless really necessary.

Read the literature

There is a lot of related work out there, build from it
bitcoinpaul

Activity: 910

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 11:42:41 AM

Liked it until I read the moderation part. I expected a Tahoe-LAFS type system, https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs and Freenet, where no one knows what or what kind of content is actually on any of the computers, and the data is partially redundent and completely encrypted. Adding the moderation capability amounts to designing in vulnerability. The system is no longer 'net neutral'.

It has to be neutral. Whats the point of this otherwise?
td services

black swan hunter

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 06:08:43 PM

It has to be neutral. Whats the point of this otherwise?

Right. The entire system and its content should be encrypted by default, with no unencrypted data, period. It should be impossible to know where any data is stored, and ideally, data is distributed in partially redundant encrypted pieces across servers.
freigeist

Activity: 1107
Merit: 534

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 07:35:23 PM

Right. The entire system and its content should be encrypted by default, with no unencrypted data, period. It should be impossible to know where any data is stored, and ideally, data is distributed in partially redundant encrypted pieces across servers.

Hello.
Similar systems already exists.

You can check this:
http://offsystem.sourceforge.net/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owner_free_filing_system
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/blocksnet/index.php?title=Main_Page

td services

black swan hunter

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 01:02:39 AM

Hello.
Similar systems already exists.

You can check this:
http://offsystem.sourceforge.net/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owner_free_filing_system
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/blocksnet/index.php?title=Main_Page

Thanks for the links. This should make development easier - just add the cryptocurrency to the distributed cloud system.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: