Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 10:46:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Please people, be more careful!  (Read 2167 times)
Captain Litecoin (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:28:16 AM

It hurts to see so many people get scammed for large amounts!

Fake miners' hardware sellers, runaway escrows, fishing websites and ordinary scammers in sell/buy threads with fake trust ratings and feedback. So many users are losing serious money even when taking necessary precautions. I'm not rich, and these sums would be substantial to me.

Some say that it's the price you have to pay for greediness, but not everyone is a hardcore speculator!
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 02:15:47 PM

Fake miners' hardware sellers, runaway escrows, fishing websites and ordinary scammers in sell/buy threads with fake trust ratings and feedback. So many users are losing serious money even when taking necessary precautions. I'm not rich, and these sums would be substantial to me.

Some say that it's the price you have to pay for greediness, but not everyone is a hardcore speculator!

Scamming has been going on since the dawn of humanity. As long as there's fools there will be people willing to take their money off of them.The only way to not get scammed is to evolve a little bit I think.
KWH
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1045

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 02:21:05 PM

Scamming has been going on since the dawn of humanity. As long as there's fools there will be people willing to take their money off of them.The only way to not get scammed is to evolve a little bit I think.

When the subject of buying BTC with Paypal comes up, I often remember this: 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
Captain Litecoin (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 06:41:05 PM

The scammer concentration here is the highest I've seen so far.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 06:44:41 PM

Some of them are obvious and some of them are presumably legitimate newbies etc. that people give a chance on, it can be pretty difficult to tell them all apart sometimes, I've fallen for a scam and I'm normally pretty careful about this sort of thing even before Bitcoin.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 06:47:43 PM

I speculate that for every person starting a thread about getting scammed there are hundreds of people not starting a thread about how they didn't get scammed.

Either that or I've lost my faith in humanity.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 08:16:23 PM

I speculate that for every person starting a thread about getting scammed there are hundreds of people not starting a thread about how they didn't get scammed.

I lost mine long ago. There are probably half as many scams or attempted scams as there are legitimate deals on here.
Holliday
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 08:21:51 PM

I lost mine long ago. There are probably half as many scams or attempted scams as there are legitimate deals on here.

Yes, but who falls for them? A few people who are then quite loud about it, while the majority who didn't remains silent.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 08:23:42 PM

I did a bunch of deals.  I was very careful.  I did not get scammed!!!

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 08:36:22 PM

Yes, but who falls for them? A few people who are then quite loud about it, while the majority who didn't remains silent.

Idiots and the naive fall for them. A few intelligent or careful/cautious people just get bad luck in rare cases. Nobody is safe, but there are ways to greatly minimise risk.
Holliday
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 08:36:57 PM

Hey! Me too! I did not get scammed! We should start a new thread about how we didn't get scammed!

KWH
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1045

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 08:46:48 PM

I've had great success with dealings on these very forums.

When the subject of buying BTC with Paypal comes up, I often remember this: 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
Entropy-uc

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 08:47:51 PM

LOL.  If only your counterparties could say the same.

(For those not in the know, good old Burt here invented the Pirate pass through scam.)
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 3082

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 08:48:58 PM

I've had great success with dealings on these very forums.

It's certainly possible to make money lending on these forums.

You just have to be careful, do your research and always take collateral.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soonish!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Entropy-uc

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:41:02 AM

LOL.  If only your counterparties could say the same.

(For those not in the know, good old Burt here invented the Pirate pass through scam.)
Yes, to be perfectly honest and accurate:  I did get scammed for a huge amount of BTC in the past by Trendon (fucking bastard) Shavers, learned from my mistakes, moved on, have not been scammed since.

I don't know what to call your role in the pirate ponzi, but victim definitely isn't it.  Co-conspirator, accomplice, errand boy...  something like that is more appropriate.

It's a shame you aren't in a jurisdiction where the courts could decide what to call you at the same time they send Trendon off to prison.
Captain Litecoin (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 11:09:19 AM

That's what I'm talking about. Not only small scams are in abundance (like, for example, scratch4bitcoins.com), but much greater ones!

Sheep Marketplace, GBL, Shavers etc. It seems like many here were scammed with vast amounts of money. And recently.... VisaCoin. Seriously?
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 11:14:13 AM

That's what I'm talking about. Not only small scams are in abundance (like, for example, scratch4bitcoins.com), but much greater ones!

Sheep Marketplace, GBL, Shavers etc. It seems like many here were scammed with vast amounts of money. And recently.... VisaCoin. Seriously?

What happened with Visacoin?
Captain Litecoin (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 11:20:01 AM

What happened with Visacoin?

That's what I know:

http://en.reddit.com/r/scamcoin/comments/1uy6iv/the_visacoins_fiasco/
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=394328.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=399143.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=402536.0

Still need more info for serious accusations, but whoever thinks it's a safe bet and not a scam...  Cry

P.S. You thought that's all? But here's more:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=406337.0
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 11:29:08 AM

I agree with the first comment on the first link:

This is why you should never ever IPO or pre-investment anything in crypto land. 140BTC stolen. https://blockchain.info/address/1PmsmFaNQraZVbBv3Q13jmyucXVJfUo4Hb

To the idiots who sent IPO BTC, yeah you kind of deserved it.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=409696.0
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:05:16 PM

Let me tell you a few things about being careful.

Firs.... oh wait, never mind, just click this and you'll know all you need to know:
https://www.google.de/#filter=0&q=site:dropbox.com+inurl:wallet.dat
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: