Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 01:29:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When is this going to stop? A warning about OpenEx, and new services/exchanges  (Read 1114 times)
CatCoin (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:15:38 PM
Last edit: January 15, 2014, 07:22:33 AM by CatCoin

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=414777.0

If any of you have ever considered putting money in an exchange that just popped up overnight, you owe it to yourself to read through that entire thread.  This needs to stop, and fast.  Crypto already has a public image issue, and that will only get worse if people keep losing their money to operations like the one in the thread linked above.  

The owner of the exchange from the link appears to be ready to "get right back to it".  Be careful out there, everyone.
Bitbuy

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:53:39 PM

Sad story actually  Sad
Thanks for the warning...
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:51:26 PM

I'd take it one step further and say be weary of ANY bitcoin related site that is new and or tries to keep a certain level of anonymity .

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
CatCoin (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 05:11:59 PM

I'd take it one step further and say be weary of ANY bitcoin related site that is new and or tries to keep a certain level of anonymity .
Good advice.  Lots of scammers and morons out there ready to take your money, unfortunately.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4501

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 06:28:12 PM

100% agreement

individuals that want their own funds kept secret, fine, be anonymous. but a business, group, or people handling other peoples funds, need to be very very transparent. as transparent as being able to visit them and slap them with a wet fish if they do anything wrong

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
joschua011

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 07:05:05 PM

Wow this is insane.

And i was concerned about about SQL Injection attacks,
but the attacker was able to just ssh in.

This is probably the most epic security fail ever.

r3wt stop whatever you are planning, just stop.
CatCoin (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 10:44:46 PM

It's terrifying to me that people are actually standing up for this kid and trying to encourage him to "keep trying", despite his obvious lack of technical ability to safely run an exchange.  It's like people want their coins to go missing.

Either that, or people really like the idea of having easy targets out there, and can't resist encouraging this one to continue giving them somewhere to steal from.
SirBitsalot

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:03:55 PM

Like I said in another post; because Bitcoin is so new, it's going to be a prime breeding-ground for hackers and scammers. Virtually, anything that starts up "new" needs to be approached with LOTS of caution.
CatCoin (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 07:37:34 AM

Bump.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 07:53:06 AM
Last edit: January 16, 2014, 08:21:50 AM by Lethn

To be honest, I'm not sure I agree with the whole if you're a business you shouldn't be anonymous attitude because I see a lot of individuals here who take advantage of their anonymity in exactly the same way which makes it a bit hypocritical to say those kind of things. What matter is just being honest the problem with a lot of these exchanges that fuck up isn't necessarily anonymity but the fact that they aren't being honest about their technical expertise or worse they're being ego-maniacs and they don't prepare themselves at all for the scale of what they've just gotten themselves into and because they don't have any government body or anything to help them out they end up failing miserably.

People are going to lose money in places like this but I don't necessarily consider it a horrifically bad thing because if exchanges are going to go down this quickly that are useless then that's just the free market doing it's job.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: