Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 06:03:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Solo mining in 2014  (Read 2341 times)
HammerHedd (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 01:13:55 PM

So, I'm mining in three different pools. And I've been scurrying around the net reading about the death of solo mining, and reading about people bemoaning the loss of decentralization because the pools are essentially centralizing the currency because of the difficulty level, etc.

So my question is this: If I want to run a solo mining box to simply add a decentralized node out there, how much hash power would I need to even provide value to the network? Should I devote a single chili (25-38 Gh/s) to this, or would that even make a difference?

I realize that I may >never< actually hit a block with it, but that isn't the point behind what I'm asking. I realize that solo hashing will probably never pay for the equipment unless I was EXTREMELY lucky. What I want to do is just contribute to the network.

DRK: XepkHLT2MYTXSFDc2muiGeA9eRzG6ytpSy       P2Pool: stratum+tcp://darkcoin.kicks-ass.net:7903
BTC: 1LVE3pFpAhSrHbiK5hAUWDeVrB5UrPXRkJ                    http://darkcoin.kicks-ass.net
torusJKL

Activity: 619
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 01:45:24 PM

You add the same value to the network in either case because your chances of finding a block are the same in solo mining and pool mining.
The big advantage of pool mining is that even though you might never find a block you will earn some bitcoins.

With 20Gh/s the everage time to find a Block is 9 years and 273 days.
You can calculate it here: http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/

You could join a small pool in order to still get some bitcoins but not help the biggest players to centralize the hashing power even more.

If you find my post useful send some Bitcoin: 167XM1Za8aG9CdbYuHFMpL2kvPsw6uC8da
Bitrated || bitcoin-otc || Moon Bitcoin Faucet
joae1975

Activity: 752

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 01:33:22 AM

I just figured out how to solo mine today.  Well, I never really tried before today.  I have ~105Gh of BFL's.  I figure between now and May, I'll pool mine ~1.5 btc with them.  That's ~$1200, or ~$12 a day.  I'm selling them on ebay in April/May to the next sucker.  I'm going to buy 0.25 btc/week between now and then hedging a rise in btc price.  But if I'm really really really really lucky, I'll get a block.  25 BTC in my pocket, BOOM!  If that happens, I'm done.
I have a couple KNC's hashing away on a pool anyway.

Question:   Has anyone ever got lucky and found a block solo mining with minimal hashing power?  I've been mining with these KNC's since Oct and I've found 4 on BTCguild.  I found one mining on a PPC pool.  Was only on there for a couple days too.

1PewuG8KZJUPK3CtvAkAs1Uw42rQgUv5Jk
HammerHedd (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 01:45:02 PM

I just figured out how to solo mine today.  Well, I never really tried before today.  I have ~105Gh of BFL's.  I figure between now and May, I'll pool mine ~1.5 btc with them.  That's ~$1200, or ~$12 a day.  I'm selling them on ebay in April/May to the next sucker.  I'm going to buy 0.25 btc/week between now and then hedging a rise in btc price.  But if I'm really really really really lucky, I'll get a block.  25 BTC in my pocket, BOOM!  If that happens, I'm done.

Question:   Has anyone ever got lucky and found a block solo mining with minimal hashing power?  I've been mining with these KNC's since Oct and I've found 4 on BTCguild.  I found one mining on a PPC pool.  Was only on there for a couple days too.

Granted, I"m a newbie, but my understanding is that with the current difficulty, a single miner couldn't complete the calculation in the time it would take for the block being calculated to become stale. I'm sure that someone with more math skills than me could explain it in terms of the hashing power breakpoint, but I have the impression that it wouldn't even be possible anymore because of the calculation time.

Anyone?

DRK: XepkHLT2MYTXSFDc2muiGeA9eRzG6ytpSy       P2Pool: stratum+tcp://darkcoin.kicks-ass.net:7903
BTC: 1LVE3pFpAhSrHbiK5hAUWDeVrB5UrPXRkJ                    http://darkcoin.kicks-ass.net
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 01:54:43 PM

Granted, I"m a newbie, but my understanding is that with the current difficulty, a single miner couldn't complete the calculation in the time it would take for the block being calculated to become stale. I'm sure that someone with more math skills than me could explain it in terms of the hashing power breakpoint, but I have the impression that it wouldn't even be possible anymore because of the calculation time.

Anyone?

Even with little hashrate, it is "possible" to find a block, but that possibility is extremely small that you are expected to get nothing in many many years.  Wink
joae1975

Activity: 752

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:18:00 PM

Well, I quit the solo BTC mining days ago, shortly after my post.  I'm mining altcoins.  Finding lots of blocks.  I'll check out coinwarz.com and mine what's on top for a bit.  It's working!!

1PewuG8KZJUPK3CtvAkAs1Uw42rQgUv5Jk
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 07:14:23 PM

Solo mining is pretty much pointless and every one stopped to this many months ago.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: