Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 11:02:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Guy to Mining  (Read 551 times)
wolfgang959 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:43:18 PM

Hi all,

New here and new to the bitcoin/altcoin crypto-currency's, after alot of research it kinda seems ive come in a bit too late with these new ASIC's costing thousands and there hashing speed the difficulty is going to skyrocket, so started to look into litecoins but even there the hardware is still quite costly especially being a uni student.

However thought i would pick a newish altcoin that i could get some half decent results on considering i only have an intel i5 processor to work with because i cant seem to get my HD3870 working with cgminer, oh well im getting roughly 40kH/s on digibyte dunno if this can be improved or how maybe you have some tips?

Cheers, hope to learn more soon.

Wolf
lemfuture

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:47:49 PM

mine cpu only coins
i get 600k hash i think on my i5 when i started on dimecoin
welcome to community

1ADLcfwTofFXb95pKhebpeRkJ4WTWsvQXB
kylekartan

Activity: 34

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:55:08 PM

Your HD3870 isn't new enough to work with cgminer. I have a 3850 sitting around in my desk for the exact same reason.

As lemfuture said, your best bet is to look into a coin that is designed for CPU mining or perhaps invest in a slightly better GPU (though I wouldn't blow a ton of money on one).

Good luck!
wolfgang959 (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 05:29:22 PM

Cheers lemfuture had a look into cpu only coins tried dimecoin but wasnt workign so trying datacoin now but running into same problem, its saying 'no block source avalible', and i cant seem to kill the datacoin process now. bit strange! will have to do a reboot.

yes your right kylekartan something to do with it not having openCL same but nothing i can do n cant afford a new GPU atm unfortunatley.

Thanks for your replies.
lemfuture

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 02:46:57 AM

do you set your conf file right?

manojvarma123

Activity: 13

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:14:30 AM

Hey can anyone help me with solo-mining? I want to try solo-mining with some new cryptocurrency, but I can't figure out how to mine solo. I have been mining on pools for a long time, but I would really like to know how to mine solo. Any help would be great. Also, any suggestions on some good cryptos to mine on cpu?
lemfuture

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:04:29 AM

Hey can anyone help me with solo-mining? I want to try solo-mining with some new cryptocurrency, but I can't figure out how to mine solo. I have been mining on pools for a long time, but I would really like to know how to mine solo. Any help would be great. Also, any suggestions on some good cryptos to mine on cpu?
i find joining pool at start was much more challenging. in solo mining, once your wallet sync, just tick the debug window in help menu. type setgenerate true in the console

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: