Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 02:24:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: For my first post, I thought I'd ask you a question!  (Read 640 times)
Purple (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 08:15:18 PM

For my first post, I want to ask everyone here a question. What made you to start following Bitcoin, and what are your current uses of Bitcoin? For me, I stumbled on it about a year ago while on Reddit. I thought the idea of a digital currency that could be transferred ANYWHERE in the world was cool as hell! I thought of all the possibilities and how it could benefit the world. All I could do was talk about Bitcoin; my friends probably got tired of hearing about it! (As I am sure they still are). I tried mining a bit. People kept telling me I was wasting my time, and it was dumb since I wouldn't make any money. I tried telling them that I was not mining to make money (it was impossible with my spec) but I was mining to learn more about the bitcoin protocol and to support the systems.

Currently I still follow Bitcoin, but I have started to branch out to other currencies, such as Primecoin. I like the idea of helping to find Primenumbers while mining! I do have a small small amount of BTC currently, but it's in a small honeymoon fund for next year (hopefully the price will be higher then!)

jonanon

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 08:18:38 PM

I'm relatively new to the scene, got involved about 6 months ago, would have been earlier if I heard about it before  Smiley
practicaldreamer

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 08:31:03 PM

Hello purple - my experience is somewhat like your own - except I have never ventured into mining.
I first came across btc via a Guardian article talking about the Silk Road. I've known about TOR for quite a while but only started using it (on and off) since Snowden.

Also started looking at BitMessage recently (since Snowden)

I want Btc to succeed so I have put in to it what I can afford to lose (if it doesn't succeed that is - and lets be honest, the powers that be have a lot at stake here).
   When business/retailers start accepting Btc I will also start spending it - cos its only in the spending of it, ultimately, that I believe it will succeed - not just as the speculative bubble it is at present.

I don't know wether Bitcoin represents anarchism, mutualism/co-operativism, 21st century Marxism or a pure free market/perfect competition situation - but I do know that there is something here that could, and hopefully will, be beneficial to everday men and women throughout the world.

I don't believe there's too many people got their heads around the possible implications of btc as of yet - but due to the fact that it can't be controlled in the same manner as traditional fiat currencies by individual nation states means in itself that it must have a lot going for it.
Purple (OP)

Activity: 16

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 08:41:33 PM

Same! I tried to tip someone in Bitcoin the other week (I had a Groupon and  no cash on me) but he sadly didn't know what I was talking about. He said he heard of BTC, but didn't know anything about he. He did say he was going to look into it, and probably set up a wallet on his phone. Hopefully the loss of a tip (Well, I did end up charging extra so I could use my debit card to tip a bit) gave him incentive to learn about BTC.
bitcoingeo1

Activity: 19

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 10:37:37 PM

i came acroos it on reddit aaaages ago when it was about 50 US...totally forgot about it and then i was reminded of it via a friends blog bitcoinowl.com

i read about it properly and it it blew my mind..didnt do anything but eat sleep breathe bitcoin for about a month.

now i have as much as i can afford...but have wandering eyes towards the altcoins...

oh a bitmessage is great!

bitcoingeo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: