Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 11:31:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Andreas M. Antonopoulos - Live Q&A  (Read 1197 times)
pmelt (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 08:29:55 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIy2Fw9xjuk

Today’s episode of the Coinsider This! podcast is a TWO HOUR in-depth question and answer session with Andreas M. Antonopoulos. Patrick sits down with one of the most passionate voices in the Bitcoin community to answer questions collected from Reddit, the live show chat room, and even live callers. Both new and seasoned Bitcoin enthusiasts will not want to miss this fun talk which covers topics such as double spending and 51% attacks, Bitcoin’s disruptive nature, anonymity and fungibility, scalability, the other six billion, governments and regulators, taxation, retail and so much more. Thanks to Andreas for making himself available for this. We will be doing another session with Andreas in about a month!

EVERYONE should watch this!

Audio version and more available at www.coinsiderthis.com. Thank you!
Junkey

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 08:42:56 PM

Thanks for posting this.  Going to watch now.
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:00:21 PM

It is a long video but really informative and very entertaining.  I was laughing at the beginning with the entire idea of using Bitcoin in our cars to pass other cars on the highway.  Maybe people would start driving on the highways slowly just so people would pay them to pass them? I think that concept needs some more thought. Wink

Andreas still thinks we are really early and it seems like he is glad about that because we still have some kinks to work out.  He said we have not had our "mainstream moments" yet.  It is hard to believe with the price at close to $900.  He does not talk about valuation much during this video but he did say half-way through that he thought this was about the last time we could get coins under $1000 and he was buying as much as possible.  He said we are "repeating history" with regards to all the merchants adopting BTC.  He compared it the early days of the internet when it was a big deal each time a new website came up at first. 

It kind of annoyed me that he seems somewhat nonchalant with the worry of a major bug bringing down Bitcoin and he says we would just start Bitcoin 2.0.  I am not sure it would be that simple.  An alt coin would probably take over if that happened.  I would be pretty concerned, as would most people that believe in BTC so I cannot see how he is so casual about that.  I guess he is more concerned about what cyrptocurrencies will do for the world in general, not just BTC.  He was positive about other alt coins in that they teach us some valuable things we can learn and use with BTC and he has some invested in a few "just for fun" as he put it.

His heart seems to be truly focused on the developing world and what it means for their freedom and growth.  I think it is great that he has a more global mindset.  We can get so stuck in our "first world" thinking and not realize what this really means for the bigger world. I am excited about that too.  It is hard to know what I can do here in the US to help with that.

The do spend some time discussing governments and taxation.  Andreas believes that BTC will be disruptive but he did not seem to give any clear position on what that looks like.  Basically he said they would have to adapt to a "less profitable" model.  He says that the adaption is necessary for banks as well but it won't be the "big 6" he said.

I only watched until 1:28 because I had to turn it off.  I will watch the rest later though.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 11:19:13 PM

thanks pmelt.

kaysersoze

Activity: 220

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:47:57 AM

Andreas still thinks we are really early and it seems like he is glad about that because we still have some kinks to work out.  He said we have not had our "mainstream moments" yet.  It is hard to believe with the price at close to $900. 

It's actually very easy to believe, there are 7B people on the planet, most of them will get connected via smartphones the coming 5-10y, today we are about 1b connected. Now there are today about 1 million wallets created, ( even if you don't discoint the fact that its not 1 unique consumer for each wallet) divide that number and see for yourself how many actually owns a bitcoin relative to world population..... even if it would remain a nich product and only 5-10% of the connected world would use it in 10y you realise how early we are.

BitChick
Legendary

Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:55:21 AM

Andreas still thinks we are really early and it seems like he is glad about that because we still have some kinks to work out.  He said we have not had our "mainstream moments" yet.  It is hard to believe with the price at close to $900. 

It's actually very easy to believe, there are 7B people on the planet, most of them will get connected via smartphones the coming 5-10y, today we are about 1b connected. Now there are today about 1 million wallets created, ( even if you don't discoint the fact that its not 1 unique consumer for each wallet) divide that number and see for yourself how many actually owns a bitcoin relative to world population..... even if it would remain a nich product and only 5-10% of the connected world would use it in 10y you realise how early we are.

My head knows it's true.  But with the price already at $900 it is a bit mind blowing to me.  I look at the charts and think "$100,000?  Really?"  I am totally bullish and pretty much 100% vested in BTC with all my extra disposable income too, not that I have that much of it though. Wink So I don't really doubt it, but it is still hard to believe even for me sometimes.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
kaysersoze

Activity: 220

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 01:10:42 AM

My head knows it's true.  But with the price already at $900 it is a bit mind blowing to me.  I look at the charts and think "$100,000?  Really?"  I am totally bullish and pretty much 100% vested in BTC with all my extra disposable income too, not that I have that much of it though. Wink So I don't really doubt it, but it is still hard to believe even for me sometimes.

Agree it's mentally very challenging and the brain pushes back when you start thinking of a btc being worth 100k or 1m - then you think about how the world looked 50-100-200y ago, the fact is we will some day have a trillionaire in this world throw enormous out of nowhere disruption, satushi is the legitimate candidate  and I think and hope Satushi will be first, we will have trillion dollar mkt companies very soon etc. Another thing, the internet has until recently only been about the western world basically europe and us, now another 5b will enter the party - most of which been underbanked - they will leapfrog to BTC - the landline example he made was perfect example of what will happen.

CornedBeefHash

Activity: 28

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 02:36:37 AM

Very cool, thanks for the effort.
CooterCoin

Activity: 18

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 03:37:57 PM

I just finished watching this video. It was 2 hours long, I wish it had been 5!!! I'd still be watching.....

Don't miss this video, Andreas is extremely insightful.... Wink

Thanks for posting!

CooterCoin

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 03:46:47 PM

nice, he also holds some Litecoins  Cool

BitChick