Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:47:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin for Birthdays Project  (Read 799 times)
btcusury (OP)

Activity: 433
Merit: 260

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:08:58 PM

Someone's birthday coming up and you have nothing specific for them?

If he/she is minimally computer-savvy, set up an account on an exchange, fund it with 1 BTC (0.x just doesn't look that good!), and hand them the URL, username and password as a gift (along with an explanation, of course).

Present it as a riddle, if you think that'll work best. For children this seems like the way to go.

Explain that the purpose, the real gift, is to get them to learn about the future of currency/money.

Some might read enough to decide not to cash out right away, thus becoming one of us! Cheesy

If anyone pulls this off, please post about it here!

FACT: There were hundreds of thousands of unnecessary deaths by December 2020 due to the censorship of all effective treatments (most notably ivermectin) in order to obtain EUA for experimental GT spike protein injections despite spike bioweaponization patents going back about a decade, and the manufacturers have 100% legal immunity despite long criminal histories.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SirBitsalot

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:10:50 PM

It's better than giving he/she a fish! Virtually the same amount of responsibility, but Bitcoins don't die if you don't take care of them!
btcusury (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:15:44 PM

And it's more original than the usual sweater... or even some alpaca socks!

FACT: There were hundreds of thousands of unnecessary deaths by December 2020 due to the censorship of all effective treatments (most notably ivermectin) in order to obtain EUA for experimental GT spike protein injections despite spike bioweaponization patents going back about a decade, and the manufacturers have 100% legal immunity despite long criminal histories.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:56:09 PM

When I gifted the kids for xmas, I saved a copy of the private keys as insurance. Not that I expect to rescind the gift. But I was unsure that they would take the paper wallet seriously. I didn't want to orphan several bitcoins due to them losing a wallet(s).

My fears seems so far to be misplaced - they seem to have taken a newfound interest in bitcoin.

But I might suggest you do the same - just in case.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
btcusury (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:13:24 AM

Great point! Paper wallets are another possibility, and can more easily be presented as a riddle. Using an exchange just makes it easier for them.

Forexperiments

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 12:20:48 AM

Giving 1 bitcoin as a gift is a great way to create disappointment. With $1000 you can get much better than a lousy paper wallet

Magliette ed adesivi Bitcoin e criptovalute, spedizione gratuita in Italia Grin
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:30:23 AM

Paper wallet. With 1 page explanation. And today's BTC / USD exchange rate (as well as historical value). Tell them it's like digital gold or something.

jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 07:27:26 AM

Giving 1 bitcoin as a gift is a great way to create disappointment. With $1000 you can get much better than a lousy paper wallet

Such as? How many single 1 XBT value gifts have you given lately? And if any, was there a lesson attached? I'm trying to raise the next (two) generations of savvy consumers here. WTF would you have had me do instead?

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 07:31:37 AM

Dunno about the other guy, but if my kid fully understood what 1 BTC or XBT really meant, he would appreciate it more than the bicycle he wanted. Unless he wanted 2 Toxic GPUs for his mining rig.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 10:42:38 AM

I gave 1 Bitcoin to each of my nieces and nephews this year, fortunately the last nephew had his birthday last week so I am done for the year. When I bought the first one for $45 it wasn't that big of a deal. The last one being over $800 was a big gift.

What I did was created a word document with a birthday card template with the usual birthday greeting followed by

You have 1 Bitcoin

Public key:
1SUSIE9sdfj033jassjelk3j3li2jndfisuosdkjasdfaj

Private key:
5asdf8asdojer8ua0sd9fua0sdfa0s9dfu0a9sduf0a9sdu

I sent them the card and then e-mailed their parents the blockchain link pointing to their Bitcoin with a link to the blockchain wallet telling them that they can import the public and private key in order to spend the bitcoin.

I also included a few links to sites where they could spend them.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Forexperiments

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 11:14:41 AM

This is really crazy.
A piece of paper is a lousy gift, no matter that it's worth $1000

If I had no idea about what's bitcoin and you give me 1 bitcoin as a gift, i would be extremely disappointed, I won't understand that you paid $1000 for that

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 11:59:00 AM

This is really crazy.

If I had no idea about what's bitcoin and you give me 1 bitcoin as a gift, i would be extremely disappointed, I won't understand that you paid $1000 for that

When I gave one to my nephew when it was worth $45 I mentioned that the current price was $45 but I suggested he keep it for a while because I thought it would be worth around $100 within the year.

My sister told me, "neat, we'll have to look into this Bitcoin thing". By Christmas the whole family was talking about the kids bitcoins.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 01:31:53 PM

I'd rather give a gold fish.

btcusury (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 06:17:52 PM

I gave 1 Bitcoin to each of my nieces and nephews this year, fortunately the last nephew had his birthday last week so I am done for the year. When I bought the first one for $45 it wasn't that big of a deal. The last one being over $800 was a big gift.

What I did was created a word document with a birthday card template with the usual birthday greeting followed by

You have 1 Bitcoin

Public key:
1SUSIE9sdfj033jassjelk3j3li2jndfisuosdkjasdfaj

Private key:
5asdf8asdojer8ua0sd9fua0sdfa0s9dfu0a9sduf0a9sdu

I sent them the card and then e-mailed their parents the blockchain link pointing to their Bitcoin with a link to the blockchain wallet telling them that they can import the public and private key in order to spend the bitcoin.

I also included a few links to sites where they could spend them.

When I gave one to my nephew when it was worth $45 I mentioned that the current price was $45 but I suggested he keep it for a while because I thought it would be worth around $100 within the year.

My sister told me, "neat, we'll have to look into this Bitcoin thing". By Christmas the whole family was talking about the kids bitcoins.

Awesome! You got your whole family talking about it, and I bet some of the younger ones will join the community soon. I also like the personalized address (1SUSIE), which works well for anyone with a short first name.

This is really crazy.

Really? Would a $1000 bill be a lousy gift? Most people would consider that extremely generous for a birthday gift.

You won't understand that it's worth $1000 if it's not explained to you, but obviously the explanation is part of the gift.

Forexperiments

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 06:51:23 PM

I think gift cards and similar are lousy gifts.
For example my friend for xmas gave me a $100 american airlines gift card. While very generous, that is a gift that sucks, I would have preferred $10 in cash

Caiapfas

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 06:54:00 PM

better to give inconvenient gifts that fuck them up real bad, like salt water fish that need special tank, special food, special care when they have none of it.

Then say you CAN'T WAIT to see them later!

If you liked my post or found anything I said useful send some coffee change to
BTC = 3LxtsmCjRDPD6oYYwz31dwFJW9ktUy1Yuz
Caiapfas

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 06:55:12 PM

I think gift cards and similar are lousy gifts.
For example my friend for xmas gave me a $100 american airlines gift card. While very generous, that is a gift that sucks, I would have preferred $10 in cash

SHIT send that to me I'll send you 10$ in cash.....

bitco.in

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 07:38:30 PM

I guess some nephews and nieces out there are pretty lucky.
Caiapfas

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 07:59:56 PM

I'm accepting BTC as gifts now!!! everyday is my bday! Wink

jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:37:33 PM

This is really crazy.

Really? Ten Benjamins would piss you off? Oh, I see - that's _ten_ pieces of paper.

I'm happy my progeny is not quite so shallow. And, similar to Elwar's report, I've instigated several enthusiastic bit coiners in the process.

Win/win

Edit:removed inappropriate possessive apostrophe:Benjamin's > Benjamins

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: