Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 09:55:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How many people pushing bitcoin on this forum have a vested interest?  (Read 2633 times)
mackminer (OP)

Activity: 348
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:41:20 AM

Obviously the bitcoin hoarders are going to say anything and perhaps believe anything to make bitcoin go "mainstream".

It has a shitload of problems though - non reversible transactions, mistakes in addresses (I have to be so careful making sure I've copied the correct address when sending) - we all make mistakes when doing this sort of thing - the addresses are too complex: FACT) when sending money/coins. Obviously the deflation aspect of the currency whether you believe that train of thought or not, the reality is people are pissed off for having spent their coins in the past because of their value now, including me~! and this is proof in the"real world", not theory, that deflationary currencies have serious issues.

Is this forum skewed and a dangerous place to lurk for advice and an objective view?

btw, this is from a person that started mining in 2011 and has a quite a few bitcoins, I also have the inherent human emotion called greed and lust.

Just because it's being discussed in senate and some corporations are embracing it means fuck all, seriously! It's all fueled on speculation and what the price will be tomorrow, next week, next year....it's easy to tap into someone elses greed, we all want more money - as it is, we have to get up early on Monday mornings to make a living....

Thanks.

1BFf3Whvj118A5akc5fHhfLLwxYduMmq1d
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:43:18 AM

How many people pushing bitcoin on this forum have a vested interest?

I think it's all.  All of them.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
maursader

Activity: 509
Merit: 250

Disrupt the banking system!

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:44:00 AM
Last edit: January 15, 2014, 12:56:39 AM by maursader

It has a shitload of problems though - non reversible transactions, mistakes in addresses (I have to be so careful making sure I've copied the correct address when sending) - we all make mistakes when doing this sort of thing - the addresses are too complex: FACT) when sending money/coins.

1. Generally speaking, every time you pay for something with cash at something like a garage sale, craigslist, kijiji, backpage.. etc where the transaction is person to person, it's non typically non reversible.
2. Mistakes in addresses when sending money, yeah, it can get annoying, which is why they have labels, novelty wallets, and QR codes to get it right the first time. Your argument also applies to cash in the sense that you can always accidentally pay the 'wrong person' and there'd be no way to verify who took your money.
3. Ever lose cash that fell out of your pocket before? Bitcoins don't fall out of their wallets lol.

Obviously the deflation aspect of the currency whether you believe that train of thought or not, the reality is people are pissed off for having spent their coins in the past because of their value now, including me~! and this is proof in the real world, not theory that deflationary currencies have serious issues.

It's natural for inflation to slam a currency, take the purchase power of $100 back in the year 1950. If you refer to this andex chart from 2007, look to the bottom left side where you see the $100, and look at the very right hand side where the year is 2007. You'll notice how that $100, just on the inflationary index has grown significantly. People who have issues spending so many bitcoins in the past for things like food, restaurants, etc.. shouldn't think like that. Everything was cheaper back then. Gas is another example of things that were cheap that got expensive. Out of our control.

Is this forum skewed and a dangerous place to lurk for advice and an objective view?

I agree with you in the sense that there are some pretty screwy members on here, as well as other bitcoin related sites. But this community is well blended, and it's safe to have an expectation that you will get honest, reasonable advice. If someone's totally off the wall, other members will jump in. If it happens once, it happens a million times. Fear not!

btw, this is from a person that started mining in 2011 and has a quite a few bitcoins, I also have the inherent human emotion called greed and lust.

Just because it's being discussed in senate and some corporations are embracing it means fuck all, seriously! It's all fueled on speculation and what the price will be tomorrow, next week, next year....it's east to tap into someone elses greed, we all want more money - as it is, we have to get up early on Monday mornings to make a living....

Thanks.

Yeah, that's pretty natural. If you fought the temptation to sell off bitcoin at $30, then $40, then $50, $80, $100, $120, $180.. and higher.. up until now, then you sir have balls of steel. Greed is part of human nature, and so is speculation. We all have those traits.. otherwise things like Wall St (or Bay St in Toronto) wouldn't exist. So yeah, you brought up a good point.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:46:51 AM

This is not the place to get a balanced view from most people.

There are either those who want to go to the moon and beyond or those who are convinced it'll fail and want to shout about it and a bunch who take things as they come.

The important thing is that it's igniting passion. Bitcoin wouldn't have gotten anywhere without fanatics of varying shapes pushing things along. Maybe there'll be more balance in a few years but right now this isn't the place to find it.
mackminer (OP)

Activity: 348
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:49:55 AM

There are either those who want to go to the moon and beyond or those who are convinced it'll fail and want to shout about it and a bunch who take things as they come.

The important thing is that it's igniting passion. Bitcoin wouldn't have gotten anywhere without fanatics of varying shapes pushing things along. Maybe there'll be more balance in a few years but right now this isn't the place to find it.

It's easy to be fanatical about easy money.

1BFf3Whvj118A5akc5fHhfLLwxYduMmq1d
EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:54:24 AM

It has a shitload of problems though - non reversible transactions, mistakes in addresses (I have to be so careful making sure I've copied the correct address when sending) - we all make mistakes when doing this sort of thing - the addresses are too complex: FACT) when sending money/coins.
Don't tell me you can't copy/paste an address. As for non reversible transactions, that's an advantage. Just ask people who got scammed by paypal for their view.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:56:56 AM

It's easy to be fanatical about easy money.

You bet. But I would've thought the definition of easy money would require a large dollop of zero risk/ sure thing. Bitcoin's a long way from that though it has paid off amazingly for anyone who was around from the early days and has pulled out some of their investment into other currencies.

There was a massive risk of failure when it was just a few enthusiasts talking to each other. It's a whole new dimension of risk as it attempts to go global. I guess that's what excites people so.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 01:39:25 AM

Typo? Not gonna make you lose bitcoins. PITA to type in, but safe from typos n

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 01:48:41 AM

I have bitcoin, I want them to go up in value, so I want new users, so I want you to invest. It is selfish, but I also believe it is good for you. If you have some bitcoins, you will profit on the appreciation of value in the coming years. Two years. Maybe holding only one year will net you a good profit, probably better than any other investment. Risk is - you never know with risk, but - I consider risk to be low. So jump in, it is not too late.
BTC-TK

Activity: 154
Merit: 14

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 02:39:07 AM

It's funny because you make the claim that Bitcoin is flawed yet fail to mention any of the flaws, here it goes:
1) Bitcoin is not anonymous, it's pseudoanonymous
2) Mining becomes too centralized, the blockchain is too big, potential 51% attack
3) SHA256 could be broken in the coming years

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
el_Tico

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

"Fly you fools"

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:28:36 AM

I can't argue for or against the "problems" of bitcoin but hopefully I can answer this question

-It depends on who you listen to. On some occasions, group-think occurs and people who have minimal understanding follow the herd.
On the other hand, there are experts who have done their homework and have a greater understanding. It is easy to tell that these people have learned about crypto-currencies over time and have good advice.
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:34:47 AM

Zero that's the reality of what happened to the post office, it was a fundamental swing

you cannot push against a trend like that and win,

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
krampus

Activity: 98

Village Idiot

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:40:57 AM

Yes. You should leave now, especially if you're not good at recognizing other people's motives.

I pledge never to use this space for sleazy referrals, gambling spam, or to beg for handouts.
Kungfucheez

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:44:35 AM

Obviously the bitcoin hoarders are going to say anything and perhaps believe anything to make bitcoin go "mainstream".

It has a shitload of problems though - non reversible transactions, mistakes in addresses (I have to be so careful making sure I've copied the correct address when sending) - we all make mistakes when doing this sort of thing - the addresses are too complex: FACT) when sending money/coins. Obviously the deflation aspect of the currency whether you believe that train of thought or not, the reality is people are pissed off for having spent their coins in the past because of their value now, including me~! and this is proof in the"real world", not theory, that deflationary currencies have serious issues.

Just because it's being discussed in senate and some corporations are embracing it means fuck all, seriously! It's all fueled on speculation and what the price will be tomorrow, next week, next year....it's easy to tap into someone elses greed, we all want more money - as it is, we have to get up early on Monday mornings to make a living....

Thanks.

Right now I would say, most people vested in bitcoins, if not all, are doing so for the purely speculative matters. Argue all you want, but that's just the way it is. It's new and exciting, so of course that's going to attract those aspects of it.

I'm still fairly new here, but so far this seems to be the case with me as well, and it leaves a bad impression in my mind, but there are intelligent people here who have very valid and some good thought provoking discussions and arguments that aren't filled with extremest non-sense. Let's not generalize too much  Cheesy

But personally I feel the more intervention from the government, the better. If you're trying to make a case for why bitcoins should be a new currency, you have to have some regulation or it just will not function for anything more then a novelty.
frank754

Activity: 84

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:46:53 AM

I actually had zero invested, but laid out about $700+ in buying a bitcoin plus over $2500 in mining rig equipment in the past month. $979 for a block erupter cube and about $1500 to upgrade one GPU rig and add 2 new GPU rigs for non-BTC altcoins. So far my equity is about $1250 in returns.  So I still need about $1950 to ROI, and it's currently earning me about $20 a day, so I still have 100 days, but as the diff goes up on both BTC and altcoins it may take a bit longer. But I'm hoping this craze catches on to the mainstream and the actual coin values jump soon. That's when it will pay off. I'm earning a low income and had to take a lot out on my credit cards, and I'm old enough to be only a bit more than 2 years from retirement, but I'm a computer geek, and "work from home" YES, I like when the miner profits roll in, checking the graphs each day, etc... It's worth just being in the game for the excitement. And you can bet I coin hop for the ones that do better from day to day, and hold the ones I think are good investments. I'm sure it will pay off eventually, but in extra income per month after the ROI period, I don't know as the situation is changing so quickly.
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:51:05 AM

Yes. You should leave now, especially if you're not good at recognizing other people's motives.

which scam did you get caught up in ?

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
krampus

Village Idiot

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 06:31:27 AM

which scam did you get caught up in ?

None, yet. But I'm fairly circumspect.

I pledge never to use this space for sleazy referrals, gambling spam, or to beg for handouts.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 09:14:15 AM

you have to have some regulation or it just will not function for anything more then a novelty.

Care to teach the rest of us why you believe this to be the case?

edit - brevity of quote

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:51:22 PM

I would think most people have various levels of a vested interest since most people in here own bitcoin. I personally care more about bitcoin getting more adoption and improving the way consumers and merchants make various types of transactions but certainly if the exchange rate of bitcoin goes up then I benefit from that as well since I have holdings.

I try to be "honest" with my vested interest though when talking to people about bitcoin. I have no problems talking about some of the road blocks bitcoin currently faces, risks, and things that need to be improved upon.  I try not to over exaggerate things when talking to people about bitcoin.  For example the other day someone asked me why they should buy bitcoin just to make a purchase they can already make with their debit card (they were talking about overstock). I was honest and told them that as of right now it might not be practical since they could just use their debit card with no fee on the purchase. I also made sure to let them know bitcoin is in it's infancy though and just because its not practical in every situation right now (probably wont ever be for EVERY situation) the potential is still huge.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 01:00:00 PM

Hey OP!

Got overwhelmed by the answers?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: