Bitcoin Forum
October 20, 2024, 06:45:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 28.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: long term savings  (Read 605 times)
JumboShrimp (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 01:59:29 AM

My associates and I have some long term savings to protect. Where to put savings for the next five years? Our one condition is that the savings purchasing power is preserved, even without us needing to be around.

1) Shares: I'm invested but I have to follow that company, every week I have to keep abreast of their activities. Five years is a long time and business can change in three months. Shares = no good.

2) Metals: store very well, people always need metal, but stockpiles are growing. I would need to be around, monitoring global stockpiles so I can sell out before that metal floods the market.

"The world’s metal is slipping into the shadows.
Banks, hedge funds, commodity merchants and others are stashing tens of millions of tons of aluminum, copper, nickel and zinc in a hidden system of warehouses that span the globe."
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/record-level-metals-storage-in-shadow-warehouses-2013-12-27

3) Art, antiques, vintage cars and collectables: This is what rich people do, hang some art on the wall and forget about it, this is our most likely path.

"Collectibles have outperformed stocks over the past decade, with some, like rare coins, doing a lot better, according to The Economist’s valuables index. Another factor is the steady growth of the world’s ultra-wealthy population."
http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21590353-ever-more-wealth-being-parked-fancy-storage-facilities-some-customers-they-are

4) Bitcoin: I've been using bitcoin as a payment system, it worked great until the price started changing rapidly. I was buying a particular item regularly for 0.8BTC (about $30 at the time), since then BTC has lost it's stability and the items I want have only gone down to 0.4BTC!, I'm no longer willing to use BTC because of that change. But also my BTC has gone up considerably and what to do with the BTCs I have?. Is BTC now a valid form of long term savings? Will it become a stable payment system again? Should I sell my 22k gold jewelery and buy more BTC? Should I sell my BTC and buy more gold?
hyphymikey

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:07:13 AM

Nothing has better returns than BTC. Nothing is as safe as BTC.

Gold is starting to get risky, as countries will soon be fighting over debt payments.

I personally would not invest in anything else, besides marijuana stocks once they come off the pink sheets. The world as we know it is changing.
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 07:47:23 AM

Marijuana stocks?
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:32:24 AM

Nothing has better returns than BTC. Nothing is as safe as BTC.

Gold is starting to get risky, as countries will soon be fighting over debt payments.

I personally would not invest in anything else, besides marijuana stocks once they come off the pink sheets. The world as we know it is changing.

While it's true BTC had insane returns if you've bought at a lower price it's quite a huge stretch to say nothing is as "safe as bitcoin".  Bitcoin is insanely volatile and given it's nature there is a very valid risk of various governments banning exchanges and other things to effectivly "kill" bitcoin.  Weither that happens or not has yet to be seen for the most part, but it's certainly a risk a person has to consider when deciding if something is safe or not.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: