Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:08:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My perseverance paid off: Brown Safe now accepts Coinbase for luxury safes  (Read 4416 times)
Peter R (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:39:44 AM

It hit me recently: should I really be keeping my bitcoin private keys in my sock drawer? I’m sure many people have had similar realizations as they’ve watched both the acceptance and value of bitcoin grow.  

I decided that I wanted to store some of my private keys in a safe. Something from Wal-Mart may suffice for certain purposes (paper money…cough…cough), but I wanted something special for my bitcoins: something extremely secure, something easy to get in and out of (my new safe has a finger-print reader), and something that would look great in my office.  

After a lengthy internet search, I decided that Brown Safe made safes that best fit my requirements (http://www.brownsafe.com).  The trouble was: if bitcoins are worth the trouble and expense of high-security storage, then shouldn’t I be able to purchase such a safe using bitcoin?

Understandably, bitcoin is a new technology and it takes a while to become comfortable with all of its benefits.  But I think I got through to the great people at Brown Safe in my last email when I pointed out (a) the credit card hack at Target that compromised 40 million people, and (b) that Overstock.com now accepts bitcoin so “you guys should too.”  Earlier today I received an email:

Followed by an invoice emailed from Coinbase:

Mission accomplished and I’m looking forward to my new safe!

Now, I didn’t get anything this fancy but I do know a certain forum member who may be looking for something like this to match his new yellow Lamborghini:

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 06:57:53 AM

Job well done sir.  It's always nice to see people ask merchants about bitcoin and to then see the merchant listen and choose to accept bitcoin. I try to do this often when shopping at places , I've had some success at some places and some blank stares at other places but it's always a great feeling to see a new merchant join bitcoin.

Enjoy the safe!

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
tutkarz

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 10:05:13 AM

It hit me recently: should I really be keeping my bitcoin private keys in my sock drawer?

You are your own bank now, this means you are responsible for your wealth but the good side is no one can refuse to give it back to you when you request it like in bank or even paypal.
It's more like cash, you need safe for it too.

okimzti

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 10:40:42 AM

These things are sick!  Not sure who has 900 watches though?  They get a little extreme with watch holders Smiley

This makes my safe look like junk, upgrades are in order.
Dr Bloggood

Activity: 336

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 11:48:53 AM

Ha ha, nice! Great job!
Frost000

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 01:22:20 PM

Great job! Once my life becomes a bit more stable and less mobile, I'll definitely consider getting one!
Peter R (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 05:56:40 PM

Great job! Once my life becomes a bit more stable and less mobile, I'll definitely consider getting one!

Yes, even their small fire-proof safes can weigh over 400 lbs.  You don't want to be moving these things around!

Frost000

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 06:02:14 PM

Yes, even their small fire-proof safes can weigh over 400 lbs.  You don't want to be moving these things around!

Exactly. Right now, anything beyond my clothes, my laptop and a few miscellaneous things are considered excess baggage. Ah well...
PinkBatman

Activity: 267

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 05:44:58 PM

Well done, I will definitely bookmark this for when I finally move. Just hope I can afford some of these, they look way too nice.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 06:35:56 PM

I decided that I wanted to store some of my private keys in a safe. Something from Wal-Mart may suffice for certain purposes (paper money…cough…cough), but I wanted something special for my bitcoins: something extremely secure, something easy to get in and out of (my new safe has a finger-print reader), and something that would look great in my office.  

Don't loose your fingers Wink

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 06:37:03 PM

Great to see another merchant accept Bitcoin. Would purchase a safe if I had anything valuable enough to store in it and if it was in my local region.

Peter R (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 07:12:46 AM

BTW, how much is it to ship one of these things?

They charged me $275 to ship to WA state.  I got the smallest (desktop) safe, but it still weighs 450 lbs! 

They will install it for you too, but that obviously costs extra. 

seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 07:17:31 AM

They charged me $275 to ship to WA state.  I got the smallest (desktop) safe, but it still weighs 450 lbs! 

I chuckled.....

Yeah i dont think you know what "desktop" means.
Peter R (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 07:22:18 AM

I chuckled.....

It's approximately a 20" cube and weighs 450 lbs.  You need a strong desk.

seriouscoin

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 07:28:49 AM

They charged me $275 to ship to WA state.  I got the smallest (desktop) safe, but it still weighs 450 lbs!

I chuckled.....

It's approximately a 20" cube and weighs 450 lbs.  You need a strong desk.

Strong desk is an understatement, you need a ROCK.

Thats 450lbs! .... Desk isnt built to hold such weight.

I've done missionary on a strong desk, lets just say the desk didnt last longer than a month. and we both weight less than 300lbs
seriouscoin

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 07:29:47 AM

I'd guess the big ass safe would cost just as much in shipping as the cost of the safe :/

So you want to buy a big ass safe to put a smaller safe in? because a USB key isnt that big Smiley
seriouscoin

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 07:31:22 AM

I chuckled.....

It's approximately a 20" cube and weighs 450 lbs.  You need a strong desk.

Strong desk is an understatement, you need a ROCK.

Thats 450lbs! .... Desk isnt built to hold such weight.

I've done missionary on a strong desk, lets just say the desk doesnt last longer than a month. and we both weight less than 300lbs

299 plus 299 = 598

just saying.

You're saying i've done a foursome? Yeah... thats on my list !
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: