Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:33:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Changes to the bitcoin.org homepage  (Read 2018 times)
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2011, 04:54:24 PM

I was editing the bitcoin.org homepage to update the download links, and I couldn't resist make a few changes:

• I removed the "If you are running version 0.3.9 or earlier please update" message.  People running really old versions of bitcoin SHOULD update, but there is no longer any security risk if they don't.
  • I replaced "there were X blocks as of Y date" with a link to jgarzik's Bitcoin Watch site.
  • I made the SHA1 checksums at the bottom of the page tooltips of the download links.  I think it is easier to match up checksums to filenames that way, and I think it looks less intimidating for people who have no idea what SHA means.

PS:  I read the thread about replacing the self-signed bitcoin.org security certificate, and agree that needs to be done...

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
March 05, 2011, 06:00:02 PM

thank you. Removing that header is a good idea. I remember posting Bitcoin somewhere and that was the first thing people remarked about.
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
March 05, 2011, 06:01:06 PM

Great. The StartSSL process isn't too painful, and Eddie is a really nice guy. One catch is they require you to log in to their website with a client cert, so you have to use Firefox.
Manjago

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

я нe лaмep, я java-пpoгaммep :-)

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2011, 08:49:23 PM

I removed the "If you are running version 0.3.9 or earlier please update" message.  People running really old versions of bitcoin SHOULD update, but there is no longer any security risk if they don't.

But I still see "If you have version 0.3.9 or lower, please upgrade for an important security update!" on this forum?
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
March 05, 2011, 08:53:02 PM

The bit about generating coins should be removed. Probably the main source of confusion for new users is that CPU mining is worthless.
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2011, 10:22:08 PM

But I still see "If you have version 0.3.9 or lower, please upgrade for an important security update!" on this forum?

It is amazing how the brain can ignore things that it sees every single day...  (thanks for pointing that out, fixed).

RE: removing wording about generating coins on the home page:  any objections to doing that?

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2011, 10:38:00 PM

Remove generate stuff imo.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 05, 2011, 10:41:47 PM

Seconded.

eMansipater

Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2011, 12:40:32 AM

Seconded.
+5

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
Anonymous

March 06, 2011, 02:42:23 AM

The bit about generating coins should be removed. Probably the main source of confusion for new users is that CPU mining is worthless.

If you try and mine with a cpu it should point and laugh or say "youre doing it wrong".

Tongue
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2011, 02:52:14 AM

If you try and mine with a cpu it should point and laugh or say "youre doing it wrong".

WAAAAAY back in May of last year I did a little CPU mining.  Then stopped when I realized I was spending more on electricity than the bitcoins I generated were worth.  Bitcoins were selling for under a penny a piece, and I figured it cost a couple cents in electricity to mine them.

So if you think there's a chance bitcoin prices will be 10 or 100 times higher in the next year or three, maybe CPU mining now isn't crazy.

Just saying.

freeman

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 06, 2011, 02:59:05 AM

So if you think there's a chance bitcoin prices will be 10 or 100 times higher in the next year or three, maybe CPU mining now isn't crazy.

Still crazy since you would be better to buy bitcoin using exchanges (ie. more bitcoin for same money).  CPU mining is only useful for testing, playing around, etc, at this point.
eMansipater

Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2011, 02:47:15 PM

WAAAAAY back in May of last year I did a little CPU mining.  Then stopped when I realized I was spending more on electricity than the bitcoins I generated were worth.  Bitcoins were selling for under a penny a piece, and I figured it cost a couple cents in electricity to mine them.

Just saying.

From an expected value perspective, this could potentially make cpu mining worthwhile.  But from a utility perspective, it doesn't matter the overall expected value if your chances of actually collecting anything are minute or non-existent.  Just like people will not pay an arbitrary fee to join the St. Petersburg lottery, nobody will CPU mine if the average time to payout is 7 years.

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
Dude65535

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 07, 2011, 05:46:56 AM

CPU mining still makes sense if the waste heat has value for you.

1DCj8ZwGZXQqQhgv6eUEnWgsxo8BTMj3mT
JohnDoe

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 07, 2011, 01:19:43 PM

IMHO, I think that when you click on Trade it should immediately link to the Trade wiki. I find the current page it links to somewhat unnecessary.
f3ndot

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2011, 08:59:06 PM

CACert is a wonderful SSL Certificate Authority. Might be in Bitcoin.org's best interest if the admin is tight on fiat. CACert's roots may get into Mozilla browsers soon enough.

Perhaps inquire to CACert if they'll consider Bitcoins as an accepted currency for donations? Always nice to grow the community Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: