Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:22:31 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it a good idea to drop out from college and invest in Crypto Currencies?  (Read 1987 times)
sinner

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 09:25:50 AM

you dont have to go to college to learn.  invest in crypto  Grin
Kiki112

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 10:38:25 AM

finish the college,then do whatever you want

cryptocurrencies aren't going anywhere but if you drop out it's going to be hard coming back later..

guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 11:48:43 AM

cryptocurrencies aren't going anywhere but if you drop out it's going to be hard coming back later..

You can't say for sure that all these coins or cryptocurrencies will be around for certain in the future.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 12:07:52 PM

Study and spend your free time investing with any spare money you can afford to lose. Dropping out for BTC isn't a good idea.

Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 01:49:26 PM

You can't say for sure that all these coins or cryptocurrencies will be around for certain in the future.

If they are not around in the future then investing in them now would be a horrible idea.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 02:16:18 PM

If they are not around in the future then investing in them now would be a horrible idea.

Not if you cash out before that happens.
Frost000

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 02:30:43 PM

And then what do you do if your living was to trade cryptos? I don't want to sound like a dick, but still... For the op, a diploma can most likely offer you a couple of Plan B's that don't suck as much if you didn't have a diploma in the first place.
PureApeshit

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 02:36:26 PM

Finish college, plain and simple. That's an investment in your future, as corny as it sounds. It's worth more than short term financial gains.

If all else fails, at least you'll have a diploma when trying to find a job. It'll help you get through the door more than typing "invested in crypto currencies" in your CV.

such notions are complete nonsense! if you want invest in your future you get brain power!!!! best way to get brain power is to throw oneself into unexpected chaos!!! the main reason why most people are not getting nothing good out of it, is cause when they go into chaos they panic and just try desperate to get out, that is not how to do it! once you make a step from rigid robotic instruction life, to a normal human life you should aproach it do or die way and then you will see trough bullshit and your life will reach perfection as much as it is humanly possible! Cheesy

To some, college does represent unexpected chaos. While I do agree that getting "real life experience" should either be part of one's education or take center stage before starting a serious career, I don't think it should come at the expense of a formal education, should one be able to pay for it. I agree that falling flat on your nose in life is necessary to advance and round out your life, but it shouldn't come at the expense of something that can help guarantee at least a decent future.

If your post was meant to be completely sarcastic with a hint of irony, carry on!

im serious! as much as it is possible be serious in words. what you consider decent future? being dumb? even with money? only good life messure is the brain power, because with brain power you can make everything else, education these days = get a paper which will convince hiring companies that you are good slave(as in you will cope with bullshit well), for any position which do not require slave labour, like anything creative only factor is what you can do and your past work(portfolio), if you focus on your education basicaly means you giving up on life.

I agree that traditional education is severely lacking for those heading into creative professions. Nonetheless, doing a course to gain the necessary knowledge (with a diploma/degree or not) to accomplish what you want to do (let's say you want to become a VFX compositing artist) definitely wouldn't hurt. The point is, you can indeed be self-taught in anything you want, but it's not always the right path to take.

For example, if the op wants a career in finance, without some form of diploma/degree/certification, he could be shit out of luck.

All in all, I find that education can definitely open a lot of doors that could otherwise be shut. On the flip side, NOT having a degree/diploma could very well close certain doors that may be desired by certain people. So to answer your question, to me a decent future is one where I am able to choose which options I want and which I may not want. If you consider three years of college education a "waste of time" since you're missing out on "life" for those three years, that's your prerogative. Others might take those 3 years, get a formal education and "live life" at an even more rewarding and higher level than you.

A life with no education might cater greatly to some due to the more numerous opportunities to "live life" as it were, but it's not the kind of life that's recommended for the majority (98%+) of people.

But that's just me.

haha, not expecting finance argument in bitcoin forum Cheesy, but i get your point, just lets change it to better example like medical school, because if you not medical student you are not legally allowed to practice on people so you need go to some wild countries if you want practice operating people without studies.

So medical studies do have this obvious advantage, but now lets look at efficiency. Medical student will spend many years doing bullshit, like latin, memorising lots of information he will forget after test etc., while guy who starts operating animals at home and then says fuckit i need some real shit and goes into chaos, that being going to africa to operate people(who will be very happy to get any medical attention in many places), he will accumulate shitload of heavyduty practice and experience of different country and different life in same time and will be the doctor who u will want to operate you, not that dry student who was mostly just watching his senior doctor do shit.
FiatKiller

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 02:42:43 PM

Personally, I've had a lot more bang from technical schools than college. Once you have a degree a lot
of places would let you work there "because you won't be happy". BS! I just want to pay my freakin'
bills! I don't care if I'm cleaning toilets or hauling garbage. If it pays the bills, who cares? There are
definitely negatives with graduating. So, my point is to get trained in something as a backup, but you
don't have to spend $100K on college to make it.

LTC: LdxgJQLUdr8hZ79BV5AYbxkBUdaXctXAPi
MoonCoin Gambling: https://coin-horse.com/MON/
okimzti

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 02:44:11 PM

Your best bet is to take your parents credit cards, rack up as much as you can with mining gear.  Hide out til you make a profit then pay them back with interest and live life like a king.

guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 02:47:14 PM

And then what do you do if your living was to trade cryptos? I don't want to sound like a dick, but still... For the op, a diploma can most likely offer you a couple of Plan B's that don't suck as much if you didn't have a diploma in the first place.

Well that's the choice he made. Trading cryptos might offer you a couple of Plan Bs too.
Frost000

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 02:48:08 PM

Finish college, plain and simple. That's an investment in your future, as corny as it sounds. It's worth more than short term financial gains.

If all else fails, at least you'll have a diploma when trying to find a job. It'll help you get through the door more than typing "invested in crypto currencies" in your CV.

such notions are complete nonsense! if you want invest in your future you get brain power!!!! best way to get brain power is to throw oneself into unexpected chaos!!! the main reason why most people are not getting nothing good out of it, is cause when they go into chaos they panic and just try desperate to get out, that is not how to do it! once you make a step from rigid robotic instruction life, to a normal human life you should aproach it do or die way and then you will see trough bullshit and your life will reach perfection as much as it is humanly possible! Cheesy

To some, college does represent unexpected chaos. While I do agree that getting "real life experience" should either be part of one's education or take center stage before starting a serious career, I don't think it should come at the expense of a formal education, should one be able to pay for it. I agree that falling flat on your nose in life is necessary to advance and round out your life, but it shouldn't come at the expense of something that can help guarantee at least a decent future.

If your post was meant to be completely sarcastic with a hint of irony, carry on!

im serious! as much as it is possible be serious in words. what you consider decent future? being dumb? even with money? only good life messure is the brain power, because with brain power you can make everything else, education these days = get a paper which will convince hiring companies that you are good slave(as in you will cope with bullshit well), for any position which do not require slave labour, like anything creative only factor is what you can do and your past work(portfolio), if you focus on your education basicaly means you giving up on life.

I agree that traditional education is severely lacking for those heading into creative professions. Nonetheless, doing a course to gain the necessary knowledge (with a diploma/degree or not) to accomplish what you want to do (let's say you want to become a VFX compositing artist) definitely wouldn't hurt. The point is, you can indeed be self-taught in anything you want, but it's not always the right path to take.

For example, if the op wants a career in finance, without some form of diploma/degree/certification, he could be shit out of luck.

All in all, I find that education can definitely open a lot of doors that could otherwise be shut. On the flip side, NOT having a degree/diploma could very well close certain doors that may be desired by certain people. So to answer your question, to me a decent future is one where I am able to choose which options I want and which I may not want. If you consider three years of college education a "waste of time" since you're missing out on "life" for those three years, that's your prerogative. Others might take those 3 years, get a formal education and "live life" at an even more rewarding and higher level than you.

A life with no education might cater greatly to some due to the more numerous opportunities to "live life" as it were, but it's not the kind of life that's recommended for the majority (98%+) of people.

But that's just me.

haha, not expecting finance argument in bitcoin forum Cheesy, but i get your point, just lets change it to better example like medical school, because if you not medical student you are not legally allowed to practice on people so you need go to some wild countries if you want practice operating people without studies.

So medical studies do have this obvious advantage, but now lets look at efficiency. Medical student will spend many years doing bullshit, like latin, memorising lots of information he will forget after test etc., while guy who starts operating animals at home and then says fuckit i need some real shit and goes into chaos, that being going to africa to operate people(who will be very happy to get any medical attention in many places), he will accumulate shitload of heavyduty practice and experience of different country and different life in same time and will be the doctor who u will want to operate you, not that dry student who was mostly just watching his senior doctor do shit.

If the potential medical student's goal was simply to aid people in need and had no qualms about living it rough in Africa, then I agree with you. But then again, doing that will also limit his or her options if he/she wants to return stateside to practice instead of spending their lives in Africa (or wherever there's such an incredible shortage of doctors that they'll take almost anyone who has "experience"). In order to return stateside and make a living, they'd need the formal education... Bringing us right back to square one. That medical degree can let you work anywhere you want. I agree that if your goal was to go to Africa just to help others (i.e. not being paid for it), there are much more efficient ways to use your time, in addition to the degree not being free itself. But without the degree... Some doors will simply be closed.

It's as simple as that. Yes, there's a way... But the way you describe diminishes options. The whole point of a degree/diploma is to enable options that wouldn't otherwise be available to you.
Frost000

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 02:49:25 PM

Well that's the choice he made. Trading cryptos might offer you a couple of Plan Bs too.

Potentially yes, cryptos could offer a couple of Plan Bs.

But that amount of Plan Bs is inferior to the amount you'd have with a degree/diploma.
PureApeshit

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 06:27:12 PM

But that's just me.

If the potential medical student's goal was simply to aid people in need and had no qualms about living it rough in Africa, then I agree with you. But then again, doing that will also limit his or her options if he/she wants to return stateside to practice instead of spending their lives in Africa (or wherever there's such an incredible shortage of doctors that they'll take almost anyone who has "experience"). In order to return stateside and make a living, they'd need the formal education... Bringing us right back to square one. That medical degree can let you work anywhere you want. I agree that if your goal was to go to Africa just to help others (i.e. not being paid for it), there are much more efficient ways to use your time, in addition to the degree not being free itself. But without the degree... Some doors will simply be closed.

It's as simple as that. Yes, there's a way... But the way you describe diminishes options. The whole point of a degree/diploma is to enable options that wouldn't otherwise be available to you.

you have no experience, from my experience! doors open once you are at badass skill level, no matter what, for example you would recieve honorory phd oficial doctor papers, once you are saving fucking lives right and left, so your point is not valid Cheesy
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 07:28:01 PM

Potentially yes, cryptos could offer a couple of Plan Bs.

But that amount of Plan Bs is inferior to the amount you'd have with a degree/diploma.

Is it? What are you basing this on? What amount of possibilities would you get with a degree/diploma on the History of Knitting that you only just scraped by on? I know plenty of people with degrees in crap like 'Classics' and 'Women's Studies' and other such bullshit and now they can't get a job and are brutally in debt.
DodoB

Activity: 504

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 07:28:52 PM

Id stay in college,bitcoin is untrsutable,you may lose a lot.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 07:35:53 PM

Id stay in college,bitcoin is untrsutable,you may lose a lot.

A degree is essentially just like fiat; just a bit of paper.
Frost000

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 08:06:50 PM

you have no experience, from my experience! doors open once you are at badass skill level, no matter what, for example you would recieve honorory phd oficial doctor papers, once you are saving fucking lives right and left, so your point is not valid Cheesy

Then enjoy writing "badass skill level" in your CVs, what can I say.

I know plenty of people with degrees in crap like 'Classics' and 'Women's Studies' and other such bullshit and now they can't get a job and are brutally in debt.

Well, if you pick a bullshit degree to begin with, results may vary, obviously.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 08:15:57 PM

Then enjoy writing "badass skill level" in your CVs, what can I say.

I know plenty of people with degrees in crap like 'Classics' and 'Women's Studies' and other such bullshit and now they can't get a job and are brutally in debt.

Well, if you pick a bullshit degree to begin with, results may vary, obviously.

Do they do degrees in Bullshit? lol. Even degrees like Business Studies can be worth little. A lot of true entrepreneurs wont even have basic qualifications but do pretty fucking good for themselves. I could name you quite a lot of world famous business people who don't have qualifications or very little. I'd like to see some jumped up uni boy who thinks they know more about business than these people.
the_poet
Legendary

Activity: 1137
Merit: 1035

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 08:30:22 PM

Yeah, I'm in sort of a dilemma. I'm having a hard time paying the college fees and I plan to drop out and invest in BTC.

That's actually a bad decision. Investing in Bitcoin is nothing like investing in your future with a college education. The two should never collide, and, if they do, the latter needs priority.

Under construction.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: