Bitcoin Forum
July 07, 2024, 02:23:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Qt - wallet.dat creation and hypothetical question  (Read 602 times)
LRCGROUP (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 10:58:38 AM

Does anyone know at what point the wallet.dat is created?

Is this file created by the msi package process or is this file created when the blockchain has been downloaded?

I have a hypothesis that I need a little help with.
From my understanding each BitCoin wallet creates blocks of 100 addresses.  These addresses are unique to each wallet (or not?). 

My scenario runs as follows:

I have a clean system that has undergone a complete NTFS formating of all partitions.  To ensure security integrity all partitions have been reduced to one main partition.  The host is installed with Win 7 64 bit.  All drivers are installed excluding the network driver.  This will ensure no possible connection to the internet.  I have then installed the BitCoin-QT client.  I create a new address.  I then create my private key and secure my wallet.  This makes all necessary changes to the wallet and its security settings.  Now I have this address which was generated from the wallet without connecting to the blockchain.

To the question:

Can the address generated by the wallet be used in the block chain without every having the BitCoin-QT wallet connected to the network?

Can I send BitCoins to a generated address without having the wallet ever connect to the internet?

Barek

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:54:27 PM

Yes, that idea works.

Something that may be interesting:
https://www.bitaddress.org (Javascript-based address generator. Put on offline computer and generate your addresses offline)
https://bitcoinarmory.com/ (Offline transactions)
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 01:23:09 PM

Yes you can see the wallet being created at first run.
Also you should use armory offline mode

LRCGROUP (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 01:37:10 PM

Thank you both for your feedback. 

If the blockchain allows for addresses that never get connected to the net, then this makes for a very seriously secure method to store bitcoins.  I am only looking at this from the point of view of storage.  A secure save haven where coins can be saved in the blockchain without any possibilty from the end user to loose these coins because the clean host never once is connected to the internet.

I know this goes against the principle of using BitCoin as a method for consumation of products.  People are looking for security when it comes to there savings and if this can be guaranteed in this fashion, then I say BitCoin is a great place to plan for the future.  Retirement funds and such.

One point I would like to make about the online generator:

It is in the net and who knows who sees it, I think when you generate using the Javascript site a little voice in the back of your head has to be asking "Who is watching".
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 01:42:07 PM

Paper wallets Smiley
Take it offline..
It's pretty magical how you can create addresses decentralized.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: