Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:41:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox OUTAGE-10543 caused coins to be sent to expired address-still not resolved  (Read 1243 times)
Inedible (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 02:06:18 AM

So the issue of transactions not being process on August 26th resulted in some bitcoins being sent to an expired address at an exchange.

Whilst transactions that were destined for my own wallet were processed eventually, so were these time sensitive transactions.

I've opened another support ticket at MtGox but it's now been 4 days since I've heard anything.

I know I'm small fry but I'm more than majorly peeved that I've not heard a peep from them regarding this issue for over a week.

It's like they think that just ignoring it will result in me going away, well bad news. I'm not going away until it gets resolved.

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Jeremy West spendbitcoins.com

Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2011, 06:37:24 AM

So the issue of transactions not being process on August 26th resulted in some bitcoins being sent to an expired address at an exchange.

Whilst transactions that were destined for my own wallet were processed eventually, so were these time sensitive transactions.

I've opened another support ticket at MtGox but it's now been 4 days since I've heard anything.

I know I'm small fry but I'm more than majorly peeved that I've not heard a peep from them regarding this issue for over a week.

It's like they think that just ignoring it will result in me going away, well bad news. I'm not going away until it gets resolved.

Have you checked with the other exchange? If I understand correctly, bitcoin addresses don't actually ever expire, so although they haven't tracked it to your account, they may still have received the bitcoins and can apply them to your account if you can show it was your transaction? Worth a try, anyway.

MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 07:20:30 AM

You need to contact the other exchange to have them credit the bitcoins. Bitcoin addresses do not expire, and they are likely to have already dealt with similar issues (when we were "expiring" addresses, we had a lot of people sending funds again weeks later).
Inedible (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 11:20:44 AM

Great, more tail chasing.

I'm sure there's going to be a charge for recovering these coins from the 'expired' address.

Will I be able to recover this from MtGox?

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
Valalvax

Activity: 437
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 07:48:04 AM

Depends, were the funds sent to MtGox?

If not, no, you'll have to talk to the person you sent them to
Inedible (OP)

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 11:23:03 AM

The funds were sent FROM MtGox.

The situation has been resolved now. The other exchange went and transferred the coins back to me Smiley

Valalvax

Activity: 437
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 11:30:00 AM

That's what I thought you meant

The situation was not MtGox's to solve, it was the other exchange's

Sorry you couldn't sell those for a profit, happened to me a couple times (well, it's happened to me lotsa times, but only a couple when trying the "buy at exchange A sell at exchange B" bit)
Inedible (OP)

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 12:48:12 PM

I did ask MtGox to not execute the transaction days before they fixed the problem.

I don't blame them for not hunting out my transaction and stopping it before executing all transfers but I'd still say the problem is MtGox's to fix, after all the other exchange didn't cause the problem.

Sure, the other exchange holds the money but why should they have to deal with a problem not caused by them? It was only by their good grace that it was resolved as they don't have to sort anything outwith their terms.

Regardless it's all resolved now but yeah, missing out on trades always suck. Luckily it was a tiny amount that I sent in the first place.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: