Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:53:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Profitability - Scrypt altcoin mining  (Read 1326 times)
HelixNL (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 01:44:56 PM

Recently almost all altcoins have seen a massive drop in value. The difficulties of mining them haven't dropped as far and are often rising faster than coins value.

My question is if u guys think mining with high-end GPU's will stay profitable in lets say 6 months to 1 year ? And if so, why ?
realenthusiast

Activity: 9

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 01:56:07 PM

I would also like to have some answers about perpectives of mining scrypt coins with ASIC hardware. Are those real or only voices?
F98miners

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 02:02:17 PM

hi,

Imo, definitively yes! but not for long time. through 2014 yes but after it depends on the asic's dedicated to scrypt mining. Some projects seems to be productive soon.
So even if they are released, we have few month to enjoy our gpus, but then it will be the race for that asics. But they won't be able to increase the hashrate by a significant way, more focused on power consumption.
At the moment the production of gpu is limited and its protect us of a large increase in the network hash in my mind!

Actually Bitcoin is gaining momentum and all the altcoin are involved due to the growing community. More people  are aware about what we are doing more it will be profitable.

PS: sorry for my english^^

F98miners

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 02:08:33 PM

2 projects which looks like to reach the goal :

- http://ltcgear.com/ less power comsumption, but the only way to have a ROI on it will be to mine with them many months
- https://alpha-t.net/ less power consumption and a similar Hashpower regarding a rig with GPU (6x7970)
lot of pre order but do it will be a "BFL-like" ? We'll have the response during Q2/3. Add the time of all the deliveries we go through 2014.
BlockChainLottery

Activity: 332
Merit: 250

AwesomeDice.net

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 02:26:47 PM

Mining alt coins could still be profitable in 2014, but just in small time windows. When one is highly profitable, a lot of people start mining it until the margins are very small. In other words, you have to be lucky and will probably make at best a very small profit.
IMO scrypt mined coins are losing their advantage over sha256 mined coins. It was first only considered to work efficient on CPU, but was an incorrect assumption. On GPU it is mined much faster, and ASICs are also coming (more expensive however). I think soon most of those coins are dead.

Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 02:30:55 PM

I happen to mine scrypt coins with about 10000 khs, I just ordered a 5mhs Alpha T rig, not because I think it will make me a lot of money, but because I know that if these guys come through then I'll be offered first dibs on batch 2's and then I'll stock up.. the thing is though, if these guys do come through then my 10000KHS will be worth bupkis.

so if they come through then maybe you have at max 6 months of gpu mining left, if not then GPU to the MOON!
CoinPopper

Activity: 34

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 10:17:40 PM

Sometimes you need to mine and bet too, because keeping coins and having luck, means that the price can possibly skyrocket later Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: