Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 06:10:59 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Place to Acquire BTC  (Read 709 times)
ducatitalia (OP)

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

100% Positive EBAY Feedback Since 2001

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 10:50:41 PM

Each method of acquiring Bitcoins seems to have it's challenges and benefits.  For example, "Cash for Coins" has a buy/sell mark-up similar to that typically used in foreign currency exchange.  Auction sites have associated risks.  Discrepancies exist between the major exchanges (offering arbitrage potential).  In person purchase opportunities are limited and challenging.  Selling stuff for BTC seems compelling.

So all things considered, what in your opinion/experience is the best way to acquire BTC, and at the best cost basis?

Top Bitrated Escrow Service: Racer Great BTC Resources: www.thebtcboss.com
Interest Free Loans: Here BTC:1MBFDLK3s9Nzk7Anfzx2GvhUo7DEBqFz7W
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 10:55:29 PM

Each method of acquiring Bitcoins seems to have it's challenges and benefits.  For example, "Cash for Coins" has a buy/sell mark-up similar to that typically used in foreign currency exchange.  Auction sites have associated risks.  Discrepancies exist between the major exchanges (offering arbitrage potential).  In person purchase opportunities are limited and challenging.  Selling stuff for BTC seems compelling.

So all things considered, what in your opinion/experience is the best way to acquire BTC, and at the best cost basis?

Hey there,

For me, after exploring and ultimately ruling out the possibility of sending funds to an exchange, I decided to take some advice from trollbox (BTC-E) and buy some BTC on Bittylicious and localbitcoins.

In both cases, it was a quick, clean transaction that must have taken five to 10 minutes at most.

You can expect a little mark up on exchange prices, but it's well worth it for the convenience, timeliness and reduced risks.

Hope that helps! Smiley

Bitcopia

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 10:56:37 PM

Easiest way: Coinbase.com - but it takes a few business days for them to release your coins to you unless you verify your identity and put a VISA credit card on file.

Cheapest way: Localbitcoins.com - put up a buy ad for 1% below bitstamp price. This method only works well in large cities unfortunately.

Best way: Bitcopia.com - but it doesn't exist for the time being.

ducatitalia (OP)

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

100% Positive EBAY Feedback Since 2001

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 02:12:31 AM

Great options...I've read much about Coinbase being the most heavily angel-funded Bitcoin operation to date.  I understand that they hold customer's BTC in cold storage as well, reducing security risks. 

Top Bitrated Escrow Service: Racer Great BTC Resources: www.thebtcboss.com
Interest Free Loans: Here BTC:1MBFDLK3s9Nzk7Anfzx2GvhUo7DEBqFz7W
BitUser17

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 02:25:48 AM

I've used Coinbase a few times and it's been quick and simple (after the few days it takes to verify the account).
Bitcopia

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 04:29:00 AM

Yeah Coinbase is my go to. Once everything is linked up it's almost too easy. It's definitely taking a toll on my bank account  Smiley

If you don't mind the 1% fee and you think you're going to buy somewhat frequently, it's worth it. As far as long term storage, no matter how securely they store your coins, if you don't solely own your private key, you don't solely own your bitcoins. I, along with most, would not recommend storing more than 10 or 20% of your coinage on any online wallet. Even if you completely trust the company, there is always a small chance of insolvency or confiscation. When the FDIC starts insuring bitcoin deposits, then I'll have a rethink.
e-CoinNextGen

Activity: 8

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 04:48:46 AM

Mtgox.com
Btc-e.com
Coinbase.com
BiTJack

Activity: 806
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 07:21:01 AM

Coinbase still is the best available, Mt.Gox takes a lot of time to complete a transcation.
mightyphreak

Activity: 10

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 07:31:27 AM

I got some of my first BTC by selling some unused gift cards through reddit.com/r/bitmarket which was pretty painless. I got market price for the transactions and no fees other than the transaction itself.
7rue

Activity: 6

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 08:00:23 AM

In Canada, the best places are Vault of Satoshi (trade in USD) and Virtex (trade in CAD). Both seems good with Virtex having a bigger volume but longer processing times from what I have read. You can also try the BTC ATM machines in Vancouver, Toronto or Ottawa if you live near by!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: