Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:33:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 4th 280x on AsRock Z77 Extreme6 is detected but won't function  (Read 2052 times)
madjules007 (OP)

Activity: 400
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 11:08:42 PM

I have a problem with my 4 x 280x on a AsRock Z77 Extreme6 setup. I run Windows 8.1, on a G1620 processor, 2 x 4GB RAM and an 80GB intel SSD.

There are 4 available PCI-E slots, three 16x and one 1x. Three 280x's work perfect on the 16x slots (with 16x - 16x risers). The fourth card on the 1x slot (on a 1x -16 powered riser) won't function. The card is detected in Windows, but gives Code 43 (Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems). No matter what I try, I can't get it to get to work. GPU-Z will give lots of unknown values on this card and Trixx shows a Core Clock/Memory Clock of 0 (while the other cards all do fine).

The card also gets detected in the BIOS.

I have read that in some situations people get this Code 43 when they try to run more than 4 cards, but not actually with 4 cards. A solution for that was running the TechPowerUp 13.1 drivers. This doesn't help for my problem. I can't seem to find anyone who has this problem with just 4 cards. I have also tried the 13.11 drivers with no success. Each driver switch I have deleted all AMD related drivers through Control Panel and then ran Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode.

I have also tried three different riser cables (2 different types as well). I have tried running the rig by plugging in the cards 1 by 1. Boot with one card on the 16x slot first, install drivers, shutdown, install 2nd card on the 2nd 16x slot, boot up, shut down, install 3rd card on the 16x slot, boot up, shut down, install 4th card on the 1x slot, boot up again. No matter what I do, the 4th card will always give an error code in the Device Manager. Sometimes it also gives error code 10 (This device cannot start) or error code 31 (This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device). Mostly it is code 43 though.

I have also tried swapping the cards around, but no matter what I do, the card on the 1x - 16x powered riser will always give an error code in the Device Manager, while the other three just do fine.

I haven't tried a presense short on the 1x slot yet, because my understanding is that this only is of any use if your card doesn't get detected in Windows in the first place or has troubles actually getting there (while fans don't spin up properly, or detection in BIOS doesn't work).

I find it very hard to find any info on this board, not a lot of people seem to use it.

Any suggestions or input would be very welcome. Thanks!

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Pentax

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 11:39:11 PM

Well, a couple of things I can think of.

1.  Bad riser cable.

2.  Not enough power in general. 

3.  Not enough power coming through the board, use a powered riser cable.  You can build a powered one pretty easily:  http://forum.feathercoin.com/index.php?topic=2193.0

4.  With some Pci-e x1 slots you have to install a jumper it to 'tell it' that it's a graphics card going in.  http://www.gobitgo.com/articles/1001/How-To-Correctly-Use-and-Install-PCI-E-Riser-Cables/

5.  The card is bad.  Swap it around, although you've probably tried that.

6.  Socket is no good.  Try to run your 3 known good cards with one in that socket.

7.  The PCI bridge isn't working.  Work with the motherboard drivers to see if there are any available options to install PCI widgets.  Actually, I'd probably try this one first.  Find the software and download it, reinstall motherboard drivers.
madjules007 (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 11:46:56 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I tried 3 different riser cables (2 different type of cables as well).

Forgot to mention, I use a Corsair AX1200. Three cards run at 850W with slight undervolts. This should be fine for the 4 cards.

The PCI-E 1x - 16x cable is powered. Next to that, my motherboard has a seperate molex connector for the PCI-E slots. This is also connected. There should be more than enough power.

I haven't tried the jumper yet, but as I said, this is usually done if the card isn't detected in the first place, by BIOS, by Windows, or if the fans aren't spinning up. This isn't the case for me. I will however still try this after I might get some more suggestions.

Have swapped the card around on the 1x slot, same problem still exists.

Not sure about the socket, anyway to test this?

Have reinstalled the motherboard drivers after a full format, this didn't help.

I have also tried setting the PCI-E slot speed in the Bios to Gen1 and Gen2 (instead of auto), this didn't help either.

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE
Quix

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 03:21:51 AM

Try Linux, it's less picky about GPU detection.
madjules007 (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 01:00:36 PM

But the problem isn't that the card doesn't get detected. The problem is that it gives an error code in the Device Manager. I am not sure that Linux will fix this. I also prefer to use Windows so that I can use Teamviewer.

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE
Gator-hex

Activity: 490

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 03:42:55 PM
Last edit: January 16, 2014, 03:56:16 PM by Gator-hex

My money would be on lack of power.

Forgot to mention, I use a Corsair AX1200. Three cards run at 850W with slight undervolts. This should be fine for the 4 cards.

From your own measurments..

(850W/3)x4=1133W

1133W/12V = 94.4A

How many amps are on the 12v rail? 100.4? Leaves 10A. Not much wiggle room for something else on the motherboard demanding more power.

My measurements would have been..

8-Pin = 150W
6-Pin = 75W
PCI-E Slot = 75W
Total = 300W
x4 = 1200W
CPU/Memory/HDD = 100W
Grand Total = 1300W

Pentax

Activity: 700

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 04:31:01 PM

Thanks for the reply.

1.  Use a 1X riser cable on one of your known good cards, to verify that the cable is OK.

2.  Take that assembly and stick it into the 1X socket.

I'd do this with 3 cards, ie, a known working configuration, as I'd hold the other variables constant.
madjules007 (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 05:52:25 PM

My money would be on lack of power.

From your own measurments..

(850W/3)x4=1133W

1133W/12V = 94.4A

How many amps are on the 12v rail? 100.4? Leaves 10A. Not much wiggle room for something else on the motherboard demanding more power.

My measurements would have been..

8-Pin = 150W
6-Pin = 75W
PCI-E Slot = 75W
Total = 300W
x4 = 1200W
CPU/Memory/HDD = 100W
Grand Total = 1300W

12V Rail is indeed 100.4A.

The 850W is the total system usage though, so with a 4th card it still would be below 1133W, probably around 1100W. Idle usage without any videocards is around 80W, but let's say 100W.

(750W/3)x4= 1000W + 100W = 1100W
1100W/12V = 91.7A

Still not much wiggle room, but it really should be enough. I see tons of people run 4 x 280X on 1200W supplys. This has a gold certification as well, and the 1100W is actual power from the outlet, the actual PSU usage should be quite a bit lower.

Thanks for the reply.

1.  Use a 1X riser cable on one of your known good cards, to verify that the cable is OK.

2.  Take that assembly and stick it into the 1X socket.

I'd do this with 3 cards, ie, a known working configuration, as I'd hold the other variables constant.

I have done this already at the beginning, with the same result unfortunately.

Thanks for the reply's again.

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE
Pavlinius

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 10:26:50 PM

PSU is not a problem - 100% !!!

I'd suggest mobo problem. I'm running 2 ASRock with H77. It has again 3x PCI-E 16x and 1x PCI-E 1x. On one of the PCs I had no problems running 3 cards (using the 1x slot) but when I added the 4th card problems began. After updating to the latest 13.12 AMD driver the comp is running fine. On the other comp though my card is not detected at all on the PCI-E 1x slot. I tried several different risers which works on other slots the card also works, but when plugged in that 1x slot it is not detected at all in Windows. I'm suspecting a faulty slot, so could also have a similar problem, not sure.

BITCOIN @ 13hCRyr1hLct4kPWNsjgPo1XuEXLXh4AAW, LITECOIN @ LLprHsnRvvj31tqvJyTi79AkqBtmQqhVCw
LOTTOCOIN @ LkuynfD1o8Td9VPy7ysZWJQA4eyGRSSx9X, EARTHCOIN @ ehUTcEyHkmi9ABhiXnkw6JJnbtUDi9NirN
NUTCOIN @ NTdsYSHAicJMjqcTjxSWEUDxCdBRA3kLfS
guyver

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 02:56:46 PM

on you riser cables.

the ones you connect to the motherboard. make sure there isn't any white residue on the pci-e connectors. if there is, get an eraser and just rub the white residue off and try again.

I had the same issue as you did.

this is what I did.

1. uninstall all drivers, catalyst, app sdk and reboot
2. run driver fusion and delete amd display drivers. let it reboot. and switch pc off.
3. remove all riser cables apart from one.
4. start computer, make sure it picks up the first board. switch off
5. plug second card and restart.

follow steps 4 - 5 until you have all 4 plugged in. and make sure all boards have been picked up.
and install the 13.1 drivers again, and the app sdk as well.

this worked for me, but was a pain.
hope this help.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: