Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:36:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 4th 280x on AsRock Z77 Extreme6 is detected but won't function  (Read 670 times)
madjules007 (OP)

Activity: 400
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 11:16:00 PM
Last edit: January 15, 2014, 11:48:12 PM by madjules007

I have a problem with my 4 x 280x on a AsRock Z77 Extreme6 setup. I run Windows 8.1, on a G1620 processor, 2 x 4GB RAM and an 80GB intel SSD on a Corsair AX1200. The setup pulls 850W from the wall with slight undervolts on three cards.

There are 4 available PCI-E slots, three 16x and one 1x. Three 280x's work perfect on the 16x slots (with 16x - 16x risers). The fourth card on the 1x slot (on a 1x -16 powered riser) won't function. The card is detected in Windows, but gives Code 43 (Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems). No matter what I try, I can't get it to get to work. GPU-Z will give lots of unknown values on this card and Trixx shows a Core Clock/Memory Clock of 0 (while the other cards all do fine).

The card also gets detected in the BIOS.

I have read that in some situations people get this Code 43 when they try to run more than 4 cards, but not actually with 4 cards. A solution for that was running the TechPowerUp 13.1 drivers. This doesn't help for my problem. I can't seem to find anyone who has this problem with just 4 cards. I have also tried the 13.11 drivers with no success. Each driver switch I have deleted all AMD related drivers through Control Panel and then ran Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode.

I have also tried three different riser cables (2 different types as well). I have tried running the rig by plugging in the cards 1 by 1. Boot with one card on the 16x slot first, install drivers, shutdown, install 2nd card on the 2nd 16x slot, boot up, shut down, install 3rd card on the 16x slot, boot up, shut down, install 4th card on the 1x slot, boot up again. No matter what I do, the 4th card will always give an error code in the Device Manager. Sometimes it also gives error code 10 (This device cannot start) or error code 31 (This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device). Mostly it is code 43 though.

I have also tried swapping the cards around, but no matter what I do, the card on the 1x - 16x powered riser will always give an error code in the Device Manager, while the other three just do fine.

Also have tried setting the PCI-E slot speed to Gen1 and Gen2 in the BIOS (instead of AUTO), this didn't help either.

I haven't tried a presense short on the 1x slot yet, because my understanding is that this only is of any use if your card doesn't get detected in Windows in the first place or has troubles actually getting there (while fans don't spin up properly, or detection in BIOS doesn't work).

I find it very hard to find any info on this board, not a lot of people seem to use it.

Any suggestions or input would be very welcome. Thanks!

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
madjules007 (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 09:12:03 PM

Bump, anyone have any idea's?

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE
kb9nate

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 05:59:26 AM

I know you said you tried moving the cards around but make sure that you install each one on a 16x slot first before moving it to a 1x otherwise the driver may not install properly. Also make sure crossfire isn't enabled. You might also need to put a dummy plug on that card to simulate a monitor or even just plug a monitor into it.

I had a 6950 on a 1x slot that would only mine at 1/4 of what it normally would do on a x16 slot, as soon as I plugged the monitor in it went back up to where it should be.
limbaugh
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 06:15:40 AM

I have a few Win8 rigs with 7970's on a Z77 and when a card is not detected it is most likely a PCIE speed (turn it to 1x) in the bios.

I doubt it's a dummy plug. I have to use a dummy when it is detected, but I can't tweak it.

Use BAMT if you don't need Windows.
madjules007 (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 08:03:20 AM

I know you said you tried moving the cards around but make sure that you install each one on a 16x slot first before moving it to a 1x otherwise the driver may not install properly. Also make sure crossfire isn't enabled. You might also need to put a dummy plug on that card to simulate a monitor or even just plug a monitor into it.

I had a 6950 on a 1x slot that would only mine at 1/4 of what it normally would do on a x16 slot, as soon as I plugged the monitor in it went back up to where it should be.

I will try that once more, but I'm almost positive that I have tested this. Crossfire has been disabled from the start.
Dummy plugs aren't possible on the 280x DVI-D. Drops don't seem to happen at all on the other cards either, without a monitor hooked up.

I have a few Win8 rigs with 7970's on a Z77 and when a card is not detected it is most likely a PCIE speed (turn it to 1x) in the bios.

I doubt it's a dummy plug. I have to use a dummy when it is detected, but I can't tweak it.

Use BAMT if you don't need Windows.

I have already tried setting the PCI-E speed to 1x and to 2x (instead of auto), but this doesn't help either. The problem isn't that they don't get detected, the problem is that the Device Manager gives error codes on the card in the 1x slot, which results in the card not functioning properly.

I prefer not to use BAMT, because I really do enjoy using Teamviewer on Windows.

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████