Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 07:28:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Refill February  (Read 1046 times)
x86Daddy (OP)

Activity: 216
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 11:48:23 PM

A popular method of investing in Bitcoin is to simply buy and hold (or perhaps "hodl") indefinitely, rather than attempting to call the short term highs and lows.  This is cited as the most successful strategy by many, and takes a lot less work and attention.  I propose an improvement on this paradigm.

Any investment in Bitcoin represents a hope and desire for the new currency to grow in market share, grow in usefulness, and as a result, grow in relative value against other currencies.  The passive act of holding the currency can be accompanied by various forms of Bitcoin promotion, but one of the simplest methods of Bitcoin promotion is often overlooked.

There is a false dichotomy between holding and spending.  If you are holding Bitcoin, and you're a living human, you probably spend money on various goods and services.  I suggest a coordinated event, where anyone and everyone holding Bitcoin resolve to "spend and refill" throughout a given month, at any opportunity.  I'm not suggesting anyone deplete their investment, and I'm not even suggesting people "spend extra" in that month.  I'm suggesting that holders of Bitcoin resolve to make a conscious effort, during any spending decision, to choose a vendor that accepts Bitcoin in all arenas possible, during any spending decision during that month.

Check out the Bitcoin Black Friday list for a quick index of vendors who accept Bitcoin.  Check CoinMap for local vendors who accept Bitcoin.  This doesn't take the discipline exhibited by Kashmir Hill during her Bitcoin-only economy week, or by the newlyweds who used it exclusively for 100 days in 2013, but rather, promote the economic value of Bitcoin at every chance.  Take a couple coins out of your paper wallets and Bitcoin Firesafes (be sure to sweep fully into a new wallet when you do), and load your cell phone clients, etc... and change how you shop.  One month can make a lot of difference, and should cost you nothing while aiding your goals.

Who's with me?
BitDreams

Activity: 503
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 11:54:21 PM

February is a traditionally weak month in the market where I live and increased Bitcoin purchases would stand out.
El Dude

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 12:02:40 AM

hodling means hold the majority of your coins and never sell , when your buying something and they accept bitcoin/litecoin then by all means spend and refill.

I hodl all my coins and everything I buy (which is not much) doesn't accept bitcoin\litecoin just yet.

Bitcoin and Litecoin hodler
StevenS

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 12:12:43 AM

I pay with Bitcoin wherever possible. So far, this has amounted to only 2 purchases: One at a local restaurant; and one at Overstock.com.

I don't buy gift certificates with Bitcoin because that's just like selling Bitcoin - the merchant doesn't even know you bought the gift cards with Bitcoin.

It would be good to get more merchants to take Bitcoin, and there is some progress there, but not enough for me to make mainstream purchases yet. The other side is for me is that it's not that easy to refill. I have obtained my BTC via only 4 transactions: The first, before I learned about localbitcoins.com, was through bitstamp.net, but I had to pay my bank a US$35 wire fee. After that, I used localbitcoins.com, but that requires coordinating a time and place and meeting people I didn't trust yet.

My company accepts payment in Bitcoin, but no customer has paid that way yet. Otherwise, I would have a quick source to buy more.
x86Daddy (OP)

Activity: 216
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 02:45:01 PM

I don't buy gift certificates with Bitcoin because that's just like selling Bitcoin - the merchant doesn't even know you bought the gift cards with Bitcoin.
I agree completely...  although giving Gyft or similar companies a boost during the month would be nice, it doesn't make the kind of impact we're talking about here.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: