Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 05:05:50 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BFGminer VS CGminer  (Read 15962 times)
BitUser17 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 01:33:21 AM

Hello! Some background: I've been lurking for a little while and slowly getting into mining. I started with the old guiminer and my Geforce 660 which was pumping out about 70 Mh/s. I then joined a pool since mining on your own without $10k worth of hardware seems ridiculous. A couple days ago I finally upgraded to my first ASIC (Red Fury) and switched to BFGminer.

My question: Maybe it's just the impression I'm getting but it seems like more people use CGminer. Does anyone have any reasoning why one might be better than the other?

Thanks!
kylekartan

Activity: 34

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 03:32:44 AM

I use cgminer because it supports scrypt and GPUs (well, up to v3.7.2), which most of the newer altcoins are based on. It's also pretty darned simple to get running and still has a lot of options  Cool

It's my general understanding that attempting to mine BTC these days probably isn't worth it (at least not without A LOT of hash power).

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong however.

good luck!
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 03:39:59 AM

From what I know cgminer is the original, then there was some sort of fight or something and luke-jr, who seems like a religious nut and helped out on the original cgminer copied all the code and renamed it bfgminer and maintains it separately, copying a lot of the updates that the cgminer author writes and puts them into bfgminer.  There's probably more to the story, I'm sure there's some cgminer vs bfgminer history written by both sides.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
BitUser17 (OP)

Activity: 5

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 06:56:48 PM

I'm also seeing posts about running BFGminer for certain miners and CGminer for others. The reason I started with BFGminer was because I read an article on how to start mining with the Red Fury I just received. Now I started looking into picking up an AntMiner U1 and it looks like they're only supported with CGminer at the moment if you compile the latest source with support for the hardware. Without doing my homework first let me ask, would I be able to run one copy of CGminer with support for both the Red Fury and the AntMiner compiled in?

Thanks!
ManeBjorn
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 09:45:21 PM

BFG has Ant support now as well.
Multiminer is an excellent GUI for BFG as well.
I have tried both CG and BFG and they both have their positives and negatives.
I like BFG much better but I can't put my finger on it as they both work well.

I'm also seeing posts about running BFGminer for certain miners and CGminer for others. The reason I started with BFGminer was because I read an article on how to start mining with the Red Fury I just received. Now I started looking into picking up an AntMiner U1 and it looks like they're only supported with CGminer at the moment if you compile the latest source with support for the hardware. Without doing my homework first let me ask, would I be able to run one copy of CGminer with support for both the Red Fury and the AntMiner compiled in?

Thanks!

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 10:04:52 PM

There is no better, simply different

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: