Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:10:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will governments attack bitcoin?
No, because they think bitcoin is good - 2 (5.7%)
No, because they think bitcoin is bad but it will hurt their opponents more (USD vs RMB???) - 1 (2.9%)
Yes, because they think bitcoin is bad - 5 (14.3%)
Yes, because they think bitcoin is good (for citizen) but it will hurt their power & interest - 16 (45.7%)
I don't know, don't care - 5 (14.3%)
Other - 6 (17.1%)
Total Voters: 35

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will governments attack bitcoin?  (Read 1534 times)
nguoinhaque (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 02:18:11 PM

What's your choice Cheesy? Sorry for my bad english Cry
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 02:29:40 PM

My choice would be that they already are.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Bitcraft

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 02:55:28 PM

My choice would be that they already are.

+1
micgrez

Activity: 6

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 03:31:24 PM

I think they are already in the process:) sorry to say
bitconformist

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 03:54:39 PM

No, because they don't know it exists, aren't agile enough to act against it so quickly, and honestly wouldn't care about it anyway. What is the market cap? $50M USD?

The only thing the US government will do about BTC is use it as a honeypot for catching inept drug users and pedos.
klaus
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 03:56:37 PM

No, because they don't know it exists, aren't agile enough to act against it so quickly, and honestly wouldn't care about it anyway. What is the market cap? $50M USD?
The only thing the US government will do about BTC is use it as a honeypot for catching inept drug users and pedos.

+1

bitmessage:BM-2D9c1oAbkVo96zDhTZ2jV6RXzQ9VG3A6f1​
threema:HXUAMT96
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 04:22:22 PM

They'll attack it because they think it's bad. Government is run by people who think they're doing the right thing but are often mistaken. They honestly want to protect people from dangerous things like Bitcoin, and the control (so they tell themselves) is a means to that end.
dyce

Activity: 364
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 05:13:25 PM

it might get hit because of tax evasion i suppose.
travistouchdown

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 09:41:00 PM

if it hasn't happened it will, but who knows what the future holds for something like this. They won't look at it like a revolutionary electronic currency. They'll demonize it, and ward off individuals because its a currency they can't tax. Simple.
FreeMonies

Activity: 14

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 04:01:59 AM

It seems obvious to me that they already have been. the government doesn't want a true anonymous currency to be in the hands of civilians. Its common sense!

JM
bitconformist

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 04:29:25 PM

It seems obvious to me that they already have been. the government doesn't want a true anonymous currency to be in the hands of civilians. Its common sense!

JM
Which government? Which department? Name one agency with the resources, purview, and agility to actually act on bitcoin so quickly. Those in (massively under-resourced and technologically illiterate) financial enforcement departments are either ignorant of bitcoin or think it's a joke.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 04:50:14 PM

Some senators for example?

NAGAjalokia

Activity: 52

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 04:53:56 PM

not gonna vote cause i dont believe in it but. the man doesnt care yet. in fact check out Gavins visit with the cia thread.

i think the cia is actually using it to send money to informants and spies, but we will never know.
indian

Activity: 4

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 05:15:31 PM

Nothing has happened to LR , althought bitcoin is different than LR but still it should be safe .
bitcoinhead

Activity: 15

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 10:33:28 PM

China is outlawing it for physical transactions.  France is figuring out what to do (is it money or something else?).

I am sure some governments might want to DDOS or somehow otherwise attack it if lots of transactions are happening.  But really these days they are more interested in intercepting encrypted communications (see the Comodo and Diginotar CA hacks where Iran was intercepting encrypted gmail traffic).

I would think that intelligence agencies would be more interested in letting bitcoin run, and in building analytic tools to watch the blocks and try to deduce patterns around who is transacting with whom.  Combine this analysis with IP logs and they may be able to slowly figure out some "people of interest".  For example, if they arrest a criminal who has a wallet, then they know their keys and historical transactions, and this can be traced to see which receivers got their coins.  With enough seized wallets they then start to know some IPs or keys of other bad players.  Maybe this won't lead to finding people, but it could be used as evidence in prosecutions once someone is arrested.

$0.02.

oops, sorry, I mean 0.002 BTC

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 10:45:03 PM

If they attack bitcoin it'll probably not be out of self-interest, but because people from the banking sector pressure them.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
travistouchdown

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 11:14:51 PM

not gonna vote cause i dont believe in it but. the man doesnt care yet. in fact check out Gavins visit with the cia thread.

i think the cia is actually using it to send money to informants and spies, but we will never know.

Hahaha that is so ridiculous that it has to be true! 
heatherk

Activity: 9

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 01:41:51 AM

Bitcoin will definitely stay under the radar until it is too late for any action to be taken. If any attempts after that are made to make accessing it illegal it will be too difficult to control the use. Oddly enough, I think users that try too hard to attach their identity to their wallet will wind up being the ones made an example of.
deherbs

Activity: 13

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 07:37:37 AM

possibly if it gains a certain level of "popularity"
BitcoinRedLight

Activity: 38

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2011, 12:42:43 PM

It is likely a matter of time, if they are not already engaged.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: