Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 05:41:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I mine with a laptop?  (Read 670 times)
cobragt427 (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 04:00:12 AM

m17xr4 intel quad core and nvidia 660m with 12gb ram would I make anything?
cakes227

Activity: 5

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 05:53:49 AM

You would most likely spend more in power than you would make mining with your CPU and GPU. You could, however, run a usb miner on your laptop and get higher hashrate.
balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 06:24:06 AM

It is hard with those specs. ATI is superior over Nvidia in terms of Mining. Also your laptop cannot hold the heat and will shorten the life of your battery.

You could however buy USB miners and let your laptop host them.
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 08:21:35 AM

m17xr4 intel quad core and nvidia 660m with 12gb ram would I make anything?

You can mine, but I would say that any possible gains would not be worth it on a laptop as it will likely reduce its life significantly. It may be worth it if we assume Bitcoin's potential future value.

Give it a try on an alt coin, see what hashrate you get and perhaps plug the values into a profitability calculator to get a better picture.

over1977v

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 08:43:20 AM

Maybe a bit on CPU only coin, but nvidia is not profitable for mining and notebooks have problems dissipating heat from GPU if under full load long time.
nezarkadhem

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 08:52:25 AM

Don't do it. There are too many ASICs out there, shooting up the difficulty to make any laptop mining profitable. Not to mention potentially ruining your laptop from overheating. Figure out how much hashing power your laptop can export, plug in the numbers on coinwarz, and to see how much you can make with any coin. Good luck. 

Awaiting the Neptune & Viper
slurm

Activity: 23

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 08:55:36 AM

The SHA256 coins like Bitcoin are pretty much out of the question as they are hit with ASIC which requires too much horsepower to really get any substantial gains. You can look at some of the cpu only coins or the Quark clones. There is a new Quark clone that is CPU only which is called FairQuark but I don't know how it is going to pan out since QRK has a pretty bad name so the odds of it making it's way to an exchange seem slim unless the developers are really behind it. There is Protoshares, which is worth allot and cpu only, but will probably take you a couple weeks to mine anything more than one coin. The scrypt coins like doge, you can still get a decent amount of if you hold it. If you mine GRAIN on a cpu on a pool you can get a few and the good thing about GRAIN is they pay out interest every two weeks on any GRAIN that you hold. It's traded on coinedup right now. If you mine doge and it is running 24/7 you can rack up 2,000 to 5,000 doge a day which doesn't sound like much but in the long run may end up having a substantial gain if doge makes the trip all the way to the moon. GPU is really the way to go tho. Good luck.
cryptoastrotrader

Activity: 32

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 09:14:01 AM

Can I mine with a laptop?
Sure you can, just not for very long.  Cheesy
sniksen

Activity: 28

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 09:38:33 AM