Bitcoin Forum
June 11, 2024, 09:10:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Loans and the acceptance of DOX  (Read 1197 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
KWH
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1045

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 02:45:16 PM

With the expense of hiring a lawyer, filing fees, court costs and wasted time.......is it really worth it to collect .07BTC? Look through the loan section, most of the requests are well below 1BTC. After reading for a bit you wouldn't ask this question.
This is why many ask for collateral greater than the value of the loan request.

An attorney for a small claims, really? I'm curious if there are stats out there, a lot of small claim courts in the states don't allow them, so that actually skews the number anyways. The fees... yeah there's definitely that cost. Where I am it's about 30 bucks which isn't too far from the average, but of course can be more depending on the amount. Chances are you're not going to get paid anyways, if it got to this point, but why not add those fees in your claim.

I've read many of requests and it's exactly why I'm posing the question actually. I'm not against this practice at all. But there is that bigger picture I talked about earlier. Do you think req DOX might discourage scammers in the least little way? I would imagine the number of scams would decrease, among other things.  the overall goal would be to change the current lending scene... eventually. Smiley

Thanks for your input, keep em' coming! Oh, can you elaborate a little more on why collateral is greater than the loan request?

An attorney, really? Yes! Since many loans aren't even in the same state and laws vary state to state and since I don't know the laws for each state, yes. Without collateral, it's a crap shoot. You also are forgetting many scammers have been doing this a long time and use multiple accounts and make new ones all the time.
The "current lending scene" has already been changed due to scamming.
Many of your questions have been asked and answered over and over.
If you want to ask for loan with DOX only, be my guest.

When the subject of buying BTC with Paypal comes up, I often remember this: 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
newbminer

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 03:03:15 PM

Because this is how it used to be done ~2.5 years ago, and it nearly led to the (what would have maybe only have been temporary, however, we will never know) ruin of the BTC economy, and would have, if some people didn't bail out thousands of BTC of default from their own pockets.

EDIT: This is the tldr version of the story.

So why wasn't legal action taken? Or maybe perhaps point me to the story? I'd like to read it.

It's a cryptocurrency, governments don't regulate them, therefore there can be no action taken.
Lucky Cris (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 03:07:31 PM

With the expense of hiring a lawyer, filing fees, court costs and wasted time.......is it really worth it to collect .07BTC? Look through the loan section, most of the requests are well below 1BTC. After reading for a bit you wouldn't ask this question.

An attorney for a small claims, really? I'm curious if there are stats out there, a lot of small claim courts in the states don't allow them, so that actually skews the number anyways. The fees... yeah there's definitely that cost. Where I am it's about 30 bucks which isn't too far from the average, but of course can be more depending on the amount. Chances are you're not going to get paid anyways, if it got to this point, but why not add those fees in your claim.

I've read many of requests and it's exactly why I'm posing the question actually. I'm not against this practice at all. But there is that bigger picture I talked about earlier. Do you think req DOX might discourage scammers in the least little way? I would imagine the number of scams would decrease, among other things.  the overall goal would be to change the current lending scene... eventually. Smiley

Thanks for your input, keep em' coming! Oh, can you elaborate a little more on why collateral is greater than the loan request?

An attorney, really? Yes! Since many loans aren't even in the same state and laws vary state to state and since I don't know the laws for each state, yes. Without collateral, it's a crap shoot. You also are forgetting many scammers have been doing this a long time and use multiple accounts and make new ones all the time.
The "current lending scene" has already been changed due to scamming.
Many of your questions have been asked and answered over and over.
If you want to ask for loan with DOX only, be my guest.

And the fees vary from county to county, yes I get that. Regarding the multiple user accounts, what does that matter if they have to provide DOX? This isn't my landscape, but I think I recognize a by product of the shift; lenders are scamming at a higher rate. You never did answer why the collateral is worth more than loan itself. I know this isn't the case with all the loans, but since you mentioned it Smiley

Again, I'm not championing doing loans without collateral, I'm just curious as to why they're not accepted is all.

And shame on you KWH. If I need money bad enough, which I don't, I'd go to my bank, not this forum. Not everybody who pose a loan related question wants your coins. I'm sure there's a new loan request posted you can go entertain, but there'll be none of that thinking here, cool? Smiley not that we are... But we still friends?? I'm not saying you did, but I know some people have gotten negative feedback and pinged as a scammer just because.

Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 03:14:50 PM

Because this is how it used to be done ~2.5 years ago, and it nearly led to the (what would have maybe only have been temporary, however, we will never know) ruin of the BTC economy, and would have, if some people didn't bail out thousands of BTC of default from their own pockets.

EDIT: This is the tldr version of the story.

So why wasn't legal action taken? Or maybe perhaps point me to the story? I'd like to read it.

It's a cryptocurrency, governments don't regulate them, therefore there can be no action taken.

Thanks for your input! But is this really true though? I though there are a few cases pending, albeit not on a a little personal loan level... But I wonder how this factor would play out for the little man. Sickening how we're taxed but taking legal action seems to be a challenge.

malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 04:32:32 PM

Selling collateral for BTC takes some time (and time = money), and the collateral can diminish in value over time, so by asking for collateral of greater value than the loan, the lender is at least sure he won't lose any money.

Signature space available for rent.
Lucky Cris (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 06:03:05 PM

Selling collateral for BTC takes some time (and time = money), and the collateral can diminish in value over time, so by asking for collateral of greater value than the loan, the lender is at least sure he won't lose any money.

Makes sense Smiley But please allow me to play devil's advocate...just trying to understand from all sides.

What if the reverse happens, the collateral coin increases and bitcoins decrease, or maybe the collateral coin stays the same but bitcoin drops? In that scenario, who's more insured? Also, doesn't the interest on the loan serve the same purpose; pays you for your time, the risk involved, and so on. And if that's the case, are lenders double dipping?

Before I get attacked (in general) .... I support collateral and charging interest! I'm only asking Smiley

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: