Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:30:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux - debian or ubuntu?  (Read 797 times)
sniksen (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 03:34:41 PM

Hi

I've decided to scrap windows and learn how to use Linux.(woho) As a novice I'd like to run ubuntu, but all the cgminer-guides are for Debian. So my question is if I'll face any problems running ubuntu? I'm not looking for anyone to hold my hand and guide my through the process, but a nudge in the right direction is greatly appreciated(guides, good threads etc) I really do not know how to start except for installing Linux.

My new rig arrived today and I am not sure I'll get it up running if I mess it up from the beginning.
Bigeyeone

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 03:37:56 PM

I actually have a problem with CGminer on ubuntu 12.04 with some newer version of CG miner, it needs a certain package installed but ubuntu has replaced that package with a newer package and that CGminer app wont accept that newer version. So I am actually mining scrybt coins now on ubuntu with BFGminer it does the mining job just as well as CGminer

PMC: 19dNRVPcjsESqo8isdauc1gQ6PbUrAZor9
Treggar

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 04:21:31 PM

Ubuntu is built on Debian so you shouldn't have any issues
forevernoob

Activity: 687
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 04:17:54 PM

Well it depends.
If you are running headless Debian is better.
If you are running GUI apps then Ubuntu is better.

Thom

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Be kind man, don't be mankind

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 04:21:47 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2014, 04:32:18 PM by Thom

Debian's lighter: You can assemble Debian to boot from a USB stick then run in ram.
That's my next plan for my spare machines so they can all cpumine a bit of scrypt til needed, and not have their hard drives touched.
Debian's much more skinny than ubuntu but will still happily git-pull-configure-make to compile miners as you require.

It's short for Thomassina ⚥ • BTC veteran, Bitcointalk neophyte • BTC1THoM4cn8hHTyE637DEPMCLcerZe1mL1X • Cex.IO Cloud Mining - don't risk preorders, mine & trade now!
༺ ☤ Curecoin - Fold Proteins, Earn Coins! ☤   CURE: B8cjEuGKH3qofsxGGEVYdTwUrpfCTxQP7u ༻
cryptomining

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 04:22:15 PM

http://blog.truepps.com/complete-guide-to-mine-scrypt-on-xubuntu-13-10/ good guide if you need it
CryptoMer

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 06:05:30 PM

I don't have a fully-written out guide, per say, but here's what I typically do when I need to rebuild a miner.

1. Have a USB stick loaded with Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop (I like this distro - sue me).
 * Ubuntu has a lot of bloat. Thankfully, it doesn't really hinder mining.
2. Have your various miner applications downloaded and ready to go. I personally stick with cgminer 3.5.1, though up to 3.7.2 works with Scrypt.
3. Have the latest drivers available and ready to go.

Install the OS. The only important part of this is making sure you tell the installer to NOT require a login when booting up.
Once the OS is online, you'll need to install the video driver, use the express option, and then reboot.
Once rebooted, run:
$ sudo aticonfig --list-adapters  (This should show you all of the graphics cards that it detects).
If everything looks good, you need to build your xorg.conf. ALWAYS make a backup.
$ sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
$ sudo aticonfig --initial --adapter=all
Reboot.

Now, it's all about getting your miner up and running. A config file works, as does a huge string from the command line. This part of the setup is very similar to what you did on Windows, so I'll leave it out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: