Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:40:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer - Off-Topic Discussion Thread  (Read 884 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
buyandhold

Activity: 231
Merit: 43

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 04:48:11 PM

infofront (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2780

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 02:03:46 AM

Thanks for the heads up!
sirazimuth
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 3499

born once atheist

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 09:07:06 PM

The around 100BTC bid order at 7567 on Finex seems to be lasting a lot of time. It looks as if someone keeps replenishing it after each bite.

wait.. you mentioned the btc price on an exchange and analyzed it! isnt that off topic here?

Well, we are in the offtopic section so I try to be offtopic. Isn't that the whole point?

i must admit there is a certain logic to that.

a thread where you must be off-topic to be on-topic,or vice versa....
Woa!, I think it's one of those paradox thingies...brilliant!... Grin

Bitcoin...the future of all monetary transactions...and always will be
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 09:45:55 PM

All of my attempts to do something like this have been deleted in the past. Maybe this one sticks around. Either way I like it. Consider me subbed.

A place where no one should feel pressure to not say something that they feel like saying. Moderation via ignore.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
El duderino_
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 12114

BTC + Crossfit, living life.

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 09:46:37 PM

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE WO THREAD !

soooooooooo true

XhomerX10 designed my nice avatar HATs!!!!!  Thanks Bro
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 09:56:09 PM

so folks, i am curious as to how you all store the bulk of your bitcorns. hardware? paper? offline computer to sign transaction and use an online computer to broadcast? something else??

currently i have the core wallet (same wallet i created late 2011) for day to day stuff. once btc started to gain traction and become more valuable to the point were i wasnt comfortable with that much btc just sitting on a 24/7/365 online rig i sent the bulk of them to paper, where they sat for a few years. last year i swept the paper to a trezor and only reason i swept them was to cash out the free bcashlol.

Trezor 100%. Though coinkite is claiming their new product is going to be superior due to being built with secure hardware. https://coldcardwallet.com/

We find it a little scary that existing Bitcoin wallets trust the main microprocessor with their valuable secrets.

The Coinkite Coldcard will use Microchip's ATECC508A to store the critical master secret (for the root BIP32 HD wallet). This little chip is very powerful and does SHA-256 hashing and has an internal true random number generator (TRNG). Combining those features, and it's careful protocol design, we can enforce cryptographically, that the attacker must know the PIN to access the secret. An attacker cannot brute-force all 10,000 combinations of a four-digit numeric code: the search space is 2**256 not 10**4. This remains true even if they removed the chip from the board or fully-replaced the firmware in the main microprocessor.

More details in a white paper will come out when the product is finished. We will include code so that you can check we are doing what we say we are.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
nanobtc

Activity: 601
Merit: 610

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2018, 12:09:35 AM
Last edit: June 05, 2018, 04:14:19 AM by nanobtc

I like the idea of a hardware wallet, but I also like the idea of multiple paper/cold wallets. One for every year, seems easier for accurate > a year, capital gains calculation. Paper wallets are bad for spending, good for HODL.

Lennon: "free as a bird"
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 01:14:42 AM

I like the idea of a hardware wallet, but I also like the idea of multiple paper wallets. One for every year, seems easier for accurate > a year, capital gains calculation. Paper wallets are bad for spending, good for HODL.

Haha I never thought about it that way. Trezor making my cold storage so easy to spend is it's big benefit but in a way it's also a big drawback Cheesy

infofront (OP)
Legendary

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 03:12:42 PM

I have a Keepkey and a Ledger.
I like the large display of the Keepkey, but they have the worst support. Still doesn't support segwit AFAIK, worst altcoin support, slowest support for bcash and bgold, etc. Would not reccomend.
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 05:33:52 PM

Does anyone know a shell command that would change directory to the path of the directory of a shell command? I was thinking something like this:

Code:
cd $(which bitcoind)

but

Code:
which bitcoind

evaluates the whole path name down to the specific file instead of just the directory that the file is contained within and cd doesn't seem to be able to work with that, it needs a path to a directory not the specific file.

I know I could make my own script using sed to pair down the output of which but I thought I would ask if anyone knew an easier way before I try to remember how the heck sed works.

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 4920

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 06:22:49 PM

FUCK HIPPOS !!!

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
bitcoinPsycho
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 2137

$120000 in 2024 Confirmed

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 08:42:58 PM

$100,000 BTC in one hour
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 10:14:30 PM

I just had an idea that I thought I would record here. Normally I would just put it in a text file but what the hell. This thread exists now why not use it instead?

So the idea is to build some software that would allow for decentralized dns and would be a lot better than namecoin.

It would work by allowing everyone who is connected to the peer2peer network to store a local copy of a dns registry. Each entry in that registry would have an associated hash cash style proof of work. Any conflicting claims on domain space would be resolved by looking at who has the most computationally demanding proof of work (like how the legitimate blockchain is selected in bitcoin). The network would be ad-hock. You could request that your neighbors provide you with any domain records that they have that you don't and you could serve to your neighbors likewise.

In order to conserve space on drive and protect against flooding and spam each user could manually set a minimum required threshold to the difficulty of proofs that they are willing to accept. If your local dns record is taking up more space than you are comfortable with, bump up the required proof difficulty until it comes back to a manageable level.

The last part of this puzzle is that someone who has had their proof of work outdone and domain taken from them would need time in order to win it back before the hand off occurred. For this you just throw a bitcoin blockchain block header into your proof of work and have a rule that says the new change won't take effect until X number of blocks after that bitcoin block if the new entry is pointing to a different lookup.

This relies on some economic principles. First of which being the idea that a domain space is going to tend to be most valuable to the person who is going to use it best. Also if someone has a brand that they have built up and they claim a domain space, say microsoft claims the equivalent of microsofit.com in this scheme, sure you could maybe out do their proof of work, but they are obviously going to outspend you in any arms race you try to engage in and they aren't going to be paying you in order to get that domain space back. So the only reason anyone would do it is for spite. And if you are pissing people off so badly that they are spending their time and money to spite you, maybe just don't piss people off so much.

Edge cases could be handled by manual control. So, suppose that you have a companion app in your browser that facilitated the local dns lookup. And suppose that you have a website that you frequent. And suppose that one day you go to look up it's dns record and it points somewhere different. The app could inform you of this and ask if you want to instead navigate to the website that you normally go to. Phishing attacks could be handled by the sort of digital signature infrastructure that we have right now coupled with the fact that there would be a publicly known lag time between lookup hand offs as specified in an earlier paragraph. Additionally if you really really feel that you are the rightful owner of a domain that someone else can always outspend you on, there could be some basic syntax in the hyperlink for users to specify that they actually want the 2nd most difficult proof of work entry not the first. So on and so forth with any other edge case you can find.

The main reason that I think it would be better than namecoin is that it doesn't use a blockchain. Blockchains are only ever worth it if they are absolutely necessary. In this case I do not think one is.

Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2018, 01:32:38 PM
Last edit: June 09, 2018, 01:44:03 PM by Hueristic

...Any conflicting claims on domain space would be resolved by looking at who has the most computationally demanding proof of work (like how the legitimate blockchain is selected in bitcoin). The network would be ad-hock. You could request that your neighbors provide you with any domain records that they have that you don't and you could serve to your neighbors likewise....

Wouldn't this still need to adhere to the longest chain rule?

Edit: Ohh shit that jpg with the massive dildo must have gotten cached, didn't see it before.

Delete, or at least shrink,  that fucking thing.

No wonder no-one posted in here, is this thread gonna end in a goatse just to prove no moderating is a bad thing?

All of my attempts to do something like this have been deleted in the past. Maybe this one sticks around. Either way I like it. Consider me subbed.

A place where no one should feel pressure to not say something that they feel like saying. Moderation via ignore.

I think it's supposed to be an abject lesson in the dangers of anarchy and thats why it never stays around. As you can see it popped up when the poll popped up in the other thread.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE WO THREAD !

soooooooooo true

Point taken.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 12:25:31 AM

...Any conflicting claims on domain space would be resolved by looking at who has the most computationally demanding proof of work (like how the legitimate blockchain is selected in bitcoin). The network would be ad-hock. You could request that your neighbors provide you with any domain records that they have that you don't and you could serve to your neighbors likewise....

Wouldn't this still need to adhere to the longest chain rule?

There is no blockchain in the vision I laid out. That is the strength of it. Blockchains are weapons of last resort only to be used in direst of need. I don't think this application requires a blockchain and so that is why I think this idea is superior to namecoin.

I think it's supposed to be an abject lesson in the dangers of anarchy and thats why it never stays around. As you can see it popped up when the poll popped up in the other thread.

No I don't think so. All you have to do is put annoying people on your ignore list. It's like 2 clicks. Pretty easy really.

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 12:28:08 AM

Does anyone know if there is a way to run the OS on a VPS such that it appears as a black box to the service provider?

Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 03:02:32 PM

There is no blockchain in the vision I laid out. That is the strength of it. Blockchains are weapons of last resort only to be used in direst of need. I don't think this application requires a blockchain and so that is why I think this idea is superior to namecoin.

I just couldn't envision you idea then, but yeah some things should not be on a blockchain.

No I don't think so. All you have to do is put annoying people on your ignore list. It's like 2 clicks. Pretty easy really.

Yeah, I was reading too much into it I think, your right peops just trolling.
It seems to be the past time when not speculating, makes sense you get bored in a sideways market.

It's not like that today! Cheesy

infofront (OP)
Legendary

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 04:31:42 PM

Does anyone know if there is a way to run the OS on a VPS such that it appears as a black box to the service provider?

What do you mean by black box? That they won't get any information about your machine?
mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 06:55:46 PM

What do you mean by black box? That they won't get any information about your machine?

The ISP uses protocols to connect that cannot been hidden and will always share data

Grin
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2018, 02:16:26 AM

Yes if by "your machine" you mean their machine. I mean they wont know what applications you are running on their hardware.

The ISP uses protocols to connect that cannot been hidden and will always share data

Nah. Isps are no problem in this scinario. Secure shell prevents them from knowing what you are getting up to.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: