Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:34:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Corrupt Wallet.  (Read 1357 times)
derpcoin (OP)

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 04:38:13 PM

Hi I setup a cold wallet a few months back and saved it on a usb stick. Now I have reinstalled the bitcoin client on my pc and copied over the saved wallet, but when I start the bitcoin client it says wallet.dat is corrupt salvage failed.

I have installed pywallet on my win8 pc and some other dependencies. I ran the command pywallet.py --dumpwallet and I get a error try quitting bitcoin and running this again(bitcoin is was closed when I tried this).

Does anyone know another way to recover this wallet, I did also try to drag it into blockchain to see it it would recover it but it also gave some error "Unexpected end of file from server".

There is not a lot of btc on the wallet but I would still like to recover it if it is possible.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
miaviator
Donator

Activity: 686
Merit: 519

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 05:44:52 PM

Hi I setup a cold wallet a few months back and saved it on a usb stick. Now I have reinstalled the bitcoin client on my pc and copied over the saved wallet, but when I start the bitcoin client it says wallet.dat is corrupt salvage failed.

I have installed pywallet on my win8 pc and some other dependencies. I ran the command pywallet.py --dumpwallet and I get a error try quitting bitcoin and running this again(bitcoin is was closed when I tried this).

Does anyone know another way to recover this wallet, I did also try to drag it into blockchain to see it it would recover it but it also gave some error "Unexpected end of file from server".

There is not a lot of btc on the wallet but I would still like to recover it if it is possible.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=130960 seems to do this.  There are several recovery services out there.

Also phot-rec may have added support to recover .dat files.

deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 07:40:30 PM

The backup is obviously bad. This can happen if you tried copying it while Bitcoin was running, or from a bad flash filesystem.

If this is the only copy, the last alternative is to use pywallet to scan the file for any private keys. A command line may be:

python pywallet.py --recover --recov_device C:\badwallet.dat --recov_size 10MB --recov_outputdir C:\foundkeys

or you can (futile) scan the flash drive in a similar way.
derpcoin (OP)

Activity: 85

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 06:40:15 PM

So Ive managed to recover the wallet to working order using the above command and it now loads in the bitcoin wallet. Problem now is that the addresses are different and I can not see the balance in the wallet.

When I do a search of my old address the pywallet web interface/transactions It shows all my old address and all the transactions. So the btc must be on the wallet I just dont know how to get it show up in the bitcoin client.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 07:15:30 PM

for the future: use only high quality usb sticks (more than one)  and do it right Smiley

cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 07:20:39 PM

Are you sure you have the right wallet file? It sounds like it would be easier to recover from your paper backup, so just do that.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
silicon_chip

Activity: 64

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:39:13 PM

Are you sure you have the right wallet file? It sounds like it would be easier to recover from your paper backup, so just do that.

Sorry to necro this thread, but I just read an interesting article on the recovery of a "long lost" wallet.

http://www.pxdojo.net/2013/12/bitcoin-private-key-necromancy.html

There is a link to the tool he created, pehaps it may help.
 My knowlege is severely limited, so pehaps one of our gurus could take a look and render an opinion?

Cheesy

I would engage you in a battle of wits, but I will not strike an unarmed opponent.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: