Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 10:57:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LTC/Alt Coin Mining Rig  (Read 1367 times)
alphacenturion (OP)

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 05:50:10 PM

Hi guys,

Ive been lurking this forum since October but finally decided now is the time to join and share some thoughts. But first I wanted to ask those people who are busy GPU mining their thoughts on my proposed Scrypt Mining rig setup.

I am considering purchasing the following:

3 x Sapphire Technology AMD Radeon R9 290
1 x Gigabyte Z87X-OC S1150 Intel Z87 DDR3 ATX
1 x OCZ Technology 1250W Max Performance Modular PSU or Corsair 860W AX860i 80PLUS Platinum High Performance Digital PSU

along with a small amount of ram, a cheap processor and some risers etc and although I'm not experienced with Linux using that to operate cgminer.

My questions are as follows:

1.) Which PSU is preferred? Is the 860w powerful enough for 3 290s?
2.) Im concerned about heat - any recommendations for cooling?
3.) I'll need a cheap monitor or will my android tablet suffice?
4.) I need a new computer anyway and figured I'd get some extras to mine a bit - can this be done effectively alongside using the system for work or should they be kept separate?
5.) I'll be roughly following this guide: http://www.coinminingrigs.com/budget-mining-rig/ - is there anything else I should be aware of?

If anyone with some experience could shed some light on any of this I'd be greatly appreciative.

Cheers people.
XCoinX

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 09:26:53 PM

Heat will be an issue if you have the GPUs in an enclosed space such as a case or confined area. You can use riser cards to extend cables so they are not in confined area and do not use a case if using air cooling unless you are sure you can build a good system with enough ventilation. If water cooling is out of your price range then you can use a desk fan for additional cooling of 10c-15c with additional noise levels. I would go with a higher powered PSU because you will get more use out of it in future either way or sell it on. Otherwise buy two cheaper 80+ rated PSUs and use build or buy something like "Add2PSU". Be prepared for heat, some people put their rigs in basements, garages or similar where it is cooler but check with manufacturers for minimum temperature range to avoid damage to capacitors, etc as excessive low temps may cause damage. Condensation is not a risk other than with liquid cooled systems in a warm environment, if doing that then ensure the cooling is not cooler than ambient room temp because you will cause condensation to build up.

You won't need much RAM, 4-6GB of RAM should be ok and CPU can be cheap low powered on and any boosting or OC can be disabled for CPU if not using PC for any other use than mining.

Edited for corrections and additional info: be sure to not allow GPUs to have temps over 90c as this will cause damage, try to keep within 75-80c range if possible while using air cooling.
akaCash

Activity: 72

I learn fast :)

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 11:28:13 PM
Last edit: January 29, 2014, 11:21:16 PM by akaCash

I can't state this enough, look at the 270x's. I have 2 of them right now on an ASUS M5A97 R2.0 board with 2 R9 270x's. I'm getting well over 800 kh/s and they're only running at 81 and 73 degrees max. For the cost of the 290 series, along with availability, I just don't see the value. Especially not considering my board, and 2 cards both cost less than a 290x or 290 even. I'm not saying not to get it, as I don't know what you're paying and other factors, but I'd definitely think about looking at the 270's. In the research I did before building my first rig last week I couldn't resist them, and I've been very happy with them.

Edit: It's now Jan 29th, almost 2 weeks later and I can say I've actually had these 2 cards at 460 - 465 Kh/s on Instensity 19. If I really maxed them out hard I could probably see getting them to 475. Can't recommend these cards enough for the value.

Any donations greatly appeciated!
BTC = 12aSS1d7Sy6MQDmxSZ59kK5uhVL8UjuKdR
LTC = LLoxWcXWwnnJ5Mo6xQpFuZcodLyyBxoorf
XCoinX

Activity: 12

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 10:03:27 AM

I tend to agree, unless you are getting a good deal then you may want to go with the R9 270X's

https://litecoin.info/Mining_Hardware_Comparison Look here and elsewhere on forums and see what others are getting in a similar setup that you will be building, remember not to rush into this because once you buy the components it is done! And you can always be mining other alt coins than LTC by using coinchoose and http://manotechnology.blogspot.nl/p/cgwatcher.html if you prefer.

If you need to discuss anything else then post here and I am sure others will contribute.
alphacenturion (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 11:31:45 AM

Thanks for the replies guys - massively appreciated.

I can pick up a Sapphire R9 270X here in the UK for £150, the 290 is a touch over £300 - does that seem to make more sense?

I suppose I can invest in a cheaper PSU in this case? What would the recommended wattage be for 3x270x's?

Any motherboard recommendations?

Thanks again people.
alphacenturion (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 02:22:27 PM

Ok, Ive ordered myself:

MSI R9-280x x 3
Seasonic 1250w Gold PSU

These 280s are the best I couldve gotten hold of in the UK now without a wait time for the RRP (the toxics are sold-out and the Asus is over £50 above RRP). After much research (and help in this forum) I thought this PSU was the best bet in terms of reliability and future upgrades.

Now my question is:

Which motherboard for this setup?

ASUS M5A97 - 2.0 - motherboard - ATX - Socket AM3+ - AMD 970
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Asus Z87-Pro S1150 Intel Z87 DDR3 ATX
Gigabyte Z87X-OC S1150 Intel Z87 DDR3 ATX

Listed in order of expense - low to high.

The Asus Z87-Pro has integrated wireless so I won't need an adapter but won't something cheap like NETGEAR G54/N150 Wireless USB Micro Adapter WNA1000M do the trick?

Im interested in people's thoughts before I go ahead?
gsupp

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 10:38:38 PM

I have the ASUS M5A97 R2.0 running with 4x MSI R9 270s and it works well, no problems.
alphacenturion (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 11:48:47 PM

I have the ASUS M5A97 R2.0 running with 4x MSI R9 270s and it works well, no problems.

Are you rising all the cards? With powered risers?
Dogebear

Activity: 27

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 12:34:09 AM

how did you initially install the os on it? i have 3 gpus hoping to install it on the same mobo i just dont know how to even start.

Do i plug all 3 gfx cards on pci express powered usb risers on x16, x1, x16? then plug my monitor into one of the gpus currently on a usb powered riser.. then install bamt or windows 7 ?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: