Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 05:28:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are there any publicly traded companies in the bitcoin business?  (Read 2562 times)
An amorous cow-herder (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 06:43:37 PM

Is there a list of publicly traded companies in the bitcoin economy?
Or all payment processors like Bitpay and exchanges privately held?
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 07:22:24 PM

Is there a list of publicly traded companies in the bitcoin economy?
Or all payment processors like Bitpay and exchanges privately held?
WFC is publicly traded, but i'm not sure if this is the type of company you are talking about...

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 08:00:54 PM

WFC is publicly traded, but i'm not sure if this is the type of company you are talking about...
You mean Wells Fargo?
No, some company, any company for that matter, that would directly benefit from an uptake of real world usage of bitcoin. Preferably still fairly small and with growth potential directly linked to usage. Specificly not something like overstock, if BTC gets more common as a payment method that will just even out anyway.
keithers
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 10:30:03 PM

You mean Wells Fargo?
No, some company, any company for that matter, that would directly benefit from an uptake of real world usage of bitcoin. Preferably still fairly small and with growth potential directly linked to usage. Specificly not something like overstock, if BTC gets more common as a payment method that will just even out anyway.

Sorry, I meant WPCS

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 11:45:31 PM

Sorry, I meant WPCS
Not sure what you mean, those?
At a first glance i cant see how they relate to bitcoin.
skivrmt

Activity: 994
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 12:58:53 AM

Sorry, I meant WPCS
Not sure what you mean, those?
At a first glance i cant see how they relate to bitcoin.

Yes, WPCS developed an exchange for Bitcoin trading, they are somewhat related to Bitcoins, albeit somewhat far fetched.  They are also a company that pretty much has never made money and recently did a big reserve stock split (never good for a company).

There was a recent thread about the company a couple weeks ago.
TrollboxChamp

Activity: 462

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 05:01:14 PM

AMD in a roundabout way.  Grin
keithers
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 06:15:09 PM

Weird, why does it all the sudden say that I am a newbie again? LOL...
Rival

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 08:20:01 PM

ASICminer is publicly traded, but only on Havelock. That's about as good as it gets so far.

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 09:44:16 PM

ASICminer is publicly traded, but only on Havelock. That's about as good as it gets so far.
Wouldnt want to invest in a hardware company. Those are directly influenced by the value of BTC. In that case i can invest in BTC just as well.
An exchange or payment service grows with adoption as a payment service, it doesnt really matter how much a coin is worth, just that "a large amount" of fiat equivalent actually gets used.
Doesnt really matter if a BTC is worth 1k, 10k, or a 100 dollars, the more people actually use btc to buy stuff the more those companies have to grow (since they take a small cut of every transaction).
SirBitsalot

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:39:57 AM

Assuming you're looking for a company that's publicly listed so you can invest and ride the growth of bitcoin in a different way than actually investing in the currency? Haven't heard of any companies going public - and even if they did, it would be extremely difficult to get your hands on the IPO shares.
kane

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:59:13 AM

In the near future the block chain could be used as a type of IPO shares distribution.  Making IPOs more accessible to the regular investor.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: