Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 11:36:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to guide for lost Bitcoin-QT password?  (Read 1180 times)
kitewinds (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 07:16:44 PM
Last edit: January 16, 2014, 07:40:29 PM by kitewinds

Hi, I'm trying to rescue some Bitcoins from my wallet (Bitcoin-QT) for whom I lost the password.
I can't get anything useful out of Google from what I know so far.

Following the tread here at Bitcoin Forum > Bitcoin > Technical Support I'm stuck at the part were you supposed to do something with the wallet-files prior to running the ruby script.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=85495.msg942017#msg942017

This also requires a running bitcoind.
1. set "rpcpassword=somerandomcrap" in .bitcoin/bitcoin.conf
2. run "./bitcoind -daemon"
3. run "./bitcoind getinfo" until it starts returning data instead of errors
4. then run the script above.

So far I have succeeded in getting some ruby code running in the Terminal (I'm on Mac OS X). This took me all night yesterday Embarrassed
= I have no skills in code... yet!

How do I access the .bitcoin/bitcoin.conf? What tool to use?

Thankful for any help.

Edit: And thanks Revalin for the script!
kitewinds (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 11:55:15 PM

As I'm on Mac OS, do I need to run any program else than the Terminal for this? I can't work this out.
K01N

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 01:42:12 AM

wish I could help, but haven't gone through that before thankfully.  How did it all turn out?
kitewinds (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:29:10 PM

wish I could help, but haven't gone through that before thankfully.  How did it all turn out?
Not so good.
I read many boring blocks of text and learned basic terminal talk, the installed Xcode, Git and Homebrew.
Still there was no way to get Bitcoind to run.

I followed these instructions:
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/doc/build-osx.md

First I got stuck at getting the correct OpenSSL-version (got OpenSSL 0.9.8y 5 Feb 2013) but then I found a way around this (changed were it got looked for by changing in $PATH.
But I never got by the step "Building bitcoind"…

Now I'm trying a windows app, Recoinvery http://www.recoinvery.com, but no luck there yet, it seems to crash or look up…
It's only BTC 3,99, but that is kind of a lot for me  Undecided
fran2k

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2015, 05:57:10 PM

You should try with btcrecover tool it's the best for bitcoin & litecoin multiple wallets password recovery.

I could help with the work if you could not do it by yourself.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 04:21:24 AM

You should try with btcrecover tool it's the best for bitcoin & litecoin multiple wallets password recovery.

The big question is if OP knows part or most of it.   If he knows no part of seed/private key chances of recovery are very very small.

If he is trying to brute force it there is just to many options.  This is what keeps wallets secure is it being pretty much impossible to brute force.
fran2k

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2015, 06:45:22 PM

The big question is if OP knows part or most of it.   If he knows no part of seed/private key chances of recovery are very very small.

If he is trying to brute force it there is just to many options.  This is what keeps wallets secure is it being pretty much impossible to brute force.

But there are more effective options than bruteforce like dictionaries + masks/tokenfiles. Wallets like Armory are lot more resistant as they implement several hundred of hashing rounds, but other ones are plausible to attacks, knowing facts like there is already working implementations in GPU of several of the wallets encryption algorithms.
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 07:22:32 PM

But there are more effective options than bruteforce like dictionaries + masks/tokenfiles. Wallets like Armory are lot more resistant as they implement several hundred of hashing rounds, but other ones are plausible to attacks, knowing facts like there is already working implementations in GPU of several of the wallets encryption algorithms.

How does hashing multiple times help anything? If we're using a dictionary attack, it doesn't matter if it was hashed 1x or 10000x -- after the hashing was done, it would return a true or false based on the input password. No amount of hashing is going to make that change. It would only help with rainbow attacks (where you use an existing hash you know the password to and run that against a database of hashes to see if anything matches).

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
fran2k

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2015, 07:57:44 PM

The big question is if OP knows part or most of it.   If he knows no part of seed/private key chances of recovery are very very small.

If he is trying to brute force it there is just to many options.  This is what keeps wallets secure is it being pretty much impossible to brute force.

How does hashing multiple times help anything? If we're using a dictionary attack, it doesn't matter if it was hashed 1x or 10000x -- after the hashing was done, it would return a true or false based on the input password. No amount of hashing is going to make that change. It would only help with rainbow attacks (where you use an existing hash you know the password to and run that against a database of hashes to see if anything matches).

500 rounds of hashing instead of one increments the hashing time several orders of magnitude.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: