Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 03:05:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't be fooled by minor premines  (Read 1514 times)
MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 11:47:28 PM

So what do we learn from that?

Buy non premined ones like netcoins.

Seriously is NETCOIN the only legitimate coin out there? Im really looking to diversify my coins but the more I look the more I gravitate back to NETCOIN. Tons and tons of scammers out there. Even 1 coin premined is a scam to me. I dont care how good the coin is. Actually there IS NOT good coin, the only difference is the premine.

Agree on the premine. There does not need to be a premine. That is just a scam by the copy/paste coin maker. Network hashrate makes the coin. Marketing is just another word for pump. We all know what comes after.

MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 11:48:55 PM

Seriously is NETCOIN the only legitimate coin out there? Im really looking to diversify my coins but the more I look the more I gravitate back to NETCOIN. Tons and tons of scammers out there. Even 1 coin premined is a scam to me. I dont care how good the coin is. Actually there IS NOT good coin, the only difference is the premine.

VTC https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=404364 is not only completely non-premined (the dev mined 3 _normal sized_ blocks for testing before release), but is also not a scrypt clone. It's multipool and ASIC resistant. I've been banging the drum for it even though I'm nothing to do with the dev, but people seem to prefer premined clone crap.

I haven't checked out Vert yet but it sounds like it has promise. The non premined coins get less attention at first but do come out in the end. Keep mining...

wontonforevuh

Activity: 266
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 11:57:05 PM

your post gave me a cancer

good, i hope you die. this place needs less useless shitposts like this.

OP brings up a good point. Most altcoins never last for more than a few months. So a 2% premine may actually represent a much higher percentage of available coins during the lifespan of the coin.

cryptoirc (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 07:27:33 AM
Last edit: January 19, 2014, 08:38:48 PM by cryptoirc

your post gave me a cancer

good, i hope you die. this place needs less useless shitposts like this.

OP brings up a good point. Most altcoins never last for more than a few months. So a 2% premine may actually represent a much higher percentage of available coins during the lifespan of the coin.
2% is not a lot however considering the life of a coin it could actually show nearly or more than half the coins in circulation.

Thanks to the few who've understood my point. Gives me some hope that in the future people won't get suckered in.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 07:58:58 AM
Last edit: January 19, 2014, 08:10:19 AM by markm

A 2% pre-mine in which one block of a coin that mints 100 coins per block would be two coins pre-mined.

If all 100 of the coins in that block were pre-mined that would be a 100% pre-mine.

So for example if the code forces the first block to have 102 coins instead of the normal 100 coins, that would be a 2% pre-mine.

If the code forces 10100 coins to come into existence in the first block instead of the normal 100 coins on a 100 coins per block coin, that is a 10,000% pre-mine...

Sure after a nubmer of years that might dilute down so much it will by the time no more coins are beign minted appear in retrospect to be a smaller percent but the future doesn't exist, there is only the now...

Another way to look at it is to check how many blocks had been mined 24 hours after the launch.

We know how many blocks the coin pretends it is supposed to have per minoute or hour or day, so any more than one day's worth of blocks beign in existence at the end of 24 hours indicates how many block-days (days as measured in blocks, given the block time the coin pretends to have) of pre-mining occured by the time 24 hours had passed since launch.

Bitcoin is pre-mining a few days every two weeks right now by that method of measurement! Smiley

When bitcoin began it was not pre-mined, but as GPUs then FPGAs and now ASICs came along more and more retroactive pre-mining has been happening! Cheesy

(In case you don't get it, multiply ten minutes by the block number. To get to this block number in that amount of time when would Satoshi have had to have started mining?)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Flunder707

Activity: 455
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 08:18:02 AM

I hope you assholes really get cancer so you got something to complain about.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: