Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 01:31:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pro sports team accepts Bitcoin: A first for the virtual currency  (Read 871 times)
LostDutchman (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 08:22:39 PM

http://gigaom.com/2014/01/16/pro-sports-team-accepts-bitcoin-new-first-for-virtual-currency/

Bitcoin, a form of digital money popular with speculators and tech enthusiasts, continues to spread to more mainstream circles. On Thursday, the Sacramento Kings of the National Basketball Association announced that fans can now use bitcoins to buy tickets online and pay for merchandise in the team’s store.

The announcement comes a week after giant retailer Overstock began accepting bitcoins for online payments and as the world’s first Bitcoin ATM in Vancouver, Canada, continues to do brisk business.

In a news release, Kings’ majority owner Vivek Ranadivé characterized the decision to accept bitcoins as part a “NBA 3.0″ business philosophy that seeks to embrace technology.

The actual payment processing for the Kings will be handled by Bitpay, a service that provides merchants with the backend infrastructure to accept the currency in exchange for a 1 percent fee. Bitpay last year reported that it is working with more than 10,000 merchants.

The decision of a team in one of North America’s four major sports leagues to accept bitcoins is another vote of confidence for the currency, but questions still linger about when — if ever — the currency will catch on as a common payment mechanism.

While Bitcoin offers merchants a chance to save on the processing fees they pay to credit card companies, few consumers are actually using it on a day-to-day basis (while many more have not even heard of it). This may start to change, however, as more outlets begin to accept it and companies like Gyft provide a means to use bitcoins to buy a wide variety of gift cards from major retailers.

For now, however, the Sacramento Kings announcement likely represents more of a marketing stunt — similar to that of Virgin Galactic and Tesla which both drummed up Bitcoin-related news — than a milestone for the young currency.

Smiley

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
SirBitsalot

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 11:18:10 PM

Hmm.. I wonder if they'll start having the option to pay salaries in bitcoins
p2pbucks

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

Evolution is the only way to survive

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 03:09:01 AM

love Sacramento ,keep going  Shocked
LostDutchman (OP)

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 03:19:11 AM
Last edit: January 17, 2014, 08:49:25 AM by LostDutchman

love Sacramento ,keep going  Shocked

Hey, I do not give a rat's patootie about basketball* but I sure like the potential for this to raise the price of BTC so that I can convert BTC to more USD!

LOL!

My $.02.

Wink

* Or is it football?

I dunno but the sporties are going to make me money!

LOL!

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 03:43:16 AM

And in related news, the Sacramento Kings are actually considered a professional sports team.  Wink

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
Frost000

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 04:59:16 AM

I always figured it'd be either the NBA or the NHL that would start first... Glad it's happening!

If more teams can follow suit, even better!
aeddan1

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 05:36:53 AM

I always figured it'd be either the NBA or the NHL that would start first... Glad it's happening!

I'd love it if some NHL teams started accepting bitcoins. Or if a sports streaming site did.
Frost000

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 05:48:25 AM

I'd love it if some NHL teams started accepting bitcoins. Or if a sports streaming site did.

If I could get NHL Game Center Live by paying with BTC, I'd be on cloud nine. There isn't even a need to have it be a recurring payment since it's on a per-season basis, too.
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 06:09:31 AM

Great news in getting bitcoin more mainstream exposure. millions of fans go through that arena to buy food, drinks, merchandise, tickets for games etc etc.  Just having those little "bitcoin accepted here" signs should do a great job in helping expose a lot more people to bitcoin who may otherwise might not see it often.

I agree that other teams will probably follow, theres little to no reason why NOT to considering how cheap it is to accept bitcoin as a payment option.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: