Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 02:37:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Woah, block solved in 20 seconds by Slush's pool.  (Read 2437 times)
samcornwell (OP)

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 12:04:02 AM

Did you see that? I could hardly believe my eyes.

http://blockchain.info/block/00000000000000017ec07ca351d41db2e8e69344651570fb4991c1a9a5d8258f?site=slush

I got lucky too, doubled my normal payout because my miners got in quick.
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 12:07:27 AM

really 20 seconds that's quick

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
samcornwell (OP)

Activity: 55

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 12:22:50 AM

Well the blockchain says it was solved in 10 seconds (unless I'm mistaken.) The pool stats say 20 seconds though.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 12:30:20 AM

sometimes you get lucky. :-)

more or less retired.
BTC-TK

Activity: 154
Merit: 14

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 12:35:33 AM

wow much speed, so conspiracy, very likely satoshi wow

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 12:54:28 AM

I got lucky too, doubled my normal payout because my miners got in quick.
no, it's normal ... me, too = double paid than normal.
U1TRA_L0RD

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

CAUTION: Angry Man with Attitude.

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 05:15:29 AM

Too bad all bitcoin mining will be dead this year, Mining will be only for the millionaires.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 05:23:07 AM

Too bad all bitcoin mining will be dead this year, Mining will be only for the millionaires.

So , you're saying I'm going to be a millionaire?  Cool.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
aeddan1

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 05:38:03 AM

I'm mining forever. Tongue Regardless of profit.
krampus

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Village Idiot

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 06:09:33 AM

In a twisted kind of way, mining at a level that is less than or equal to the cost of electricity is essentially using the electric company to convert fiat into Bitcoin. You get untraceable Bitcoin for fiat, which is definitely not a bad thing.*

*for various definitions of "bad".

I pledge never to use this space for sleazy referrals, gambling spam, or to beg for handouts.
RawDog
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1026

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 12:08:51 PM

Dumbass mentality of bitcoiners.  Whadda joke

*Image Removed* *Expletive Removed*  *Obsenity Removed*
What's going on - Slavetards?!!!
Watch my videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE43M1Z8Iew  1FuckYouc6zrtHbnqcHdhrSVhcxgpJgfds
greyman

Activity: 40

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 02:12:25 PM

Why? It is very well possible that the price of ASICs will go down and price of BTC will go up, and you can for some time profit even when you only own very small part of the overall hashrate.
BTCIndia

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

vini, vedi, no vici.

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 03:13:48 PM

So so so so much true! Grin

He's Nick Sazbo from Washington. I've my answer. Or Hal? :O
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 06:44:28 PM

In a twisted kind of way, mining at a level that is less than or equal to the cost of electricity is essentially using the electric company to convert fiat into Bitcoin. You get untraceable Bitcoin for fiat, which is definitely not a bad thing.*

*for various definitions of "bad".
And, it's not like most people don't pay good money for their hobbies even if the above wasn't the case. On one hand, it's over $100 for 2 tix, parking and food/drink to go down to Comerica's Park for a Tigers' game. For a similar amount, one could have 6-12 months worth of mining at that cost depending on one's hashing.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 06:54:48 PM

Big whoop...  Roll Eyes The network will adjust and the other blocks will be found slower.

Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 07:00:23 PM

20 seconds? I've seen blocks a few seconds apart in the past.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
TKeenan

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 07:31:29 PM

Every block gets solved in 20 seconds.  Think I am wrong?  You don't understand math.

For each block, go to a moment in time 20 seconds prior to its solution.  At that moment, the network has accomplished zero progress on the impending solution.  However, in the coming 20 seconds - it finds a solution.

A solution doesn't get easier as time passes doesn't depend upon.  The network doesn't advance and close in on a solution as the clock ticks. 

The same error in statistics is made for those people who think that 10 rolls of a die without getting a '6' increases the chance that a '6' will come next.  It doesn't.  The chance of rolling a '6' is the same whether or not 10 non-'6's occurred previously.

The state of the miners 20 seconds prior to a solution is identical to the state of miners which have been working for one hour.  Thus, the probability that a solution will come in 20 seconds is identical for the case where a solution was just found, and for when the miners have been working a long time.  Miners having been working a long time do not increase the probability that a solution will come in the next 20 seconds.  Thus, every block was solved in 20 seconds - it is just 20 seconds prior to the moment the solution came. 

Idiots - find it incredible that a block was solved in 20 seconds - they all are.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 07:38:07 PM

Every block gets solved in 20 seconds.  Think I am wrong?  You don't understand math.

For each block, go to a moment in time 20 seconds prior to its solution.  At that moment, the network has accomplished zero progress on the impending solution.  However, in the coming 20 seconds - it finds a solution.

A solution doesn't get easier as time passes doesn't depend upon.  The network doesn't advance and close in on a solution as the clock ticks.  

The same error in statistics is made for those people who think that 10 rolls of a die without getting a '6' increases the chance that a '6' will come next.  It doesn't.  The chance of rolling a '6' is the same whether or not 10 non-'6's occurred previously.

The state of the miners 20 seconds prior to a solution is identical to the state of miners which have been working for one hour.  Thus, the probability that a solution will come in 20 seconds is identical for the case where a solution was just found, and for when the miners have been working a long time.  Miners having been working a long time do not increase the probability that a solution will come in the next 20 seconds.  Thus, every block was solved in 20 seconds - it is just 20 seconds prior to the moment the solution came.  

Idiots - find it incredible that a block was solved in 20 seconds - they all are.

Huh?

I understand that there is no progress on the proof of work...

That doesn't change the fact that sometimes there is 1 minute between blocks and sometimes there is 1 hour between blocks...

We weren't talking about how long it took the device to find the solution which happened to be the correct one for the next block. We were talking about the length of time between blocks.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 08:08:42 PM

Every block gets solved in 20 seconds.  Think I am wrong?  You don't understand math.

For each block, go to a moment in time 20 seconds prior to its solution.  At that moment, the network has accomplished zero progress on the impending solution.  However, in the coming 20 seconds - it finds a solution.

A solution doesn't get easier as time passes doesn't depend upon.  The network doesn't advance and close in on a solution as the clock ticks.  

The same error in statistics is made for those people who think that 10 rolls of a die without getting a '6' increases the chance that a '6' will come next.  It doesn't.  The chance of rolling a '6' is the same whether or not 10 non-'6's occurred previously.

The state of the miners 20 seconds prior to a solution is identical to the state of miners which have been working for one hour.  Thus, the probability that a solution will come in 20 seconds is identical for the case where a solution was just found, and for when the miners have been working a long time.  Miners having been working a long time do not increase the probability that a solution will come in the next 20 seconds.  Thus, every block was solved in 20 seconds - it is just 20 seconds prior to the moment the solution came.  

Huh?

I understand that there is no progress on the proof of work...

That doesn't change the fact that sometimes there is 1 minute between blocks and sometimes there is 1 hour between blocks...

We weren't talking about how long it took the device to find the solution which happened to be the correct one for the next block. We were talking about the length of time between blocks.

Apparently self professed non-idiots can have difficulty with understanding as well. Tongue
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 09:30:28 PM

Every block gets solved in 20 seconds.  Think I am wrong?  You don't understand math.

For each block, go to a moment in time 20 seconds prior to its solution.  At that moment, the network has accomplished zero progress on the impending solution.  However, in the coming 20 seconds - it finds a solution.

A solution doesn't get easier as time passes doesn't depend upon.  The network doesn't advance and close in on a solution as the clock ticks. 

The same error in statistics is made for those people who think that 10 rolls of a die without getting a '6' increases the chance that a '6' will come next.  It doesn't.  The chance of rolling a '6' is the same whether or not 10 non-'6's occurred previously.

The state of the miners 20 seconds prior to a solution is identical to the state of miners which have been working for one hour.  Thus, the probability that a solution will come in 20 seconds is identical for the case where a solution was just found, and for when the miners have been working a long time.  Miners having been working a long time do not increase the probability that a solution will come in the next 20 seconds.  Thus, every block was solved in 20 seconds - it is just 20 seconds prior to the moment the solution came. 

So according to your logic a block was actually in 0 seconds. However, we're not here to explore meanings of used terminology, we're here to discuss the small amount of time between 2 blocks being found.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: