Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:23:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your diversification strategies?  (Read 2119 times)
BreathOfZen (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 01:59:45 AM

It used to be that the way one diversified their wealth was to break it into three main parts:
1. Cash
2. Gold
3. Artwork

Along those lines, I've taken to the 21st century version:
1. Bitcoin (of course.)
2. Gold (still strong!)
3. Magic Cards (games are this generation's art.)

That's just me though.  How are you all diversifying YOUR holdings?

Aoeui Artifacts

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 03:11:12 AM

I invest in BTC, LTC, international equities, mutual funds, bonds, a few individual stocks, and stay liquid with cash. Oh and a couple annuities, and life insurance
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 03:46:29 AM

My single largest investment is in my education - tech literacy in a rising technocracy. Bitcoin is only one facet of that. I am deep into automation as well.  

Physical assets are mostly real estate with some shares and bitcoin.  But those are less important in the scheme of things. 
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 04:56:30 AM

Bitcoins, a few select altcoins, and cash. Gold is due for a long hard fall IMHO.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 07:10:00 AM

Bitcoin/Altcoins/Gold/Silver/Gemstones

I'm adding Altcoin there because you need to have something in case Bitcoin ever really does come under attack, but that's not a very likely scenario.
trace666

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 09:41:37 AM

1. Cash
2. Gold
3. Artwork

How about real estate? the stock market?
I don't see a lot of people flock to the Fine Arts.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 09:49:58 AM

1. Cash
2. Gold
3. Artwork

How about real estate? the stock market?
I don't see a lot of people flock to the Fine Arts.

Investing in Fine Arts has proven a winning strategy the last 20 years, but yeah, its a bit niche, like "classic cars". Your examples are much more mainstream ways to diversify Smiley
Cubic Earth
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1018

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 10:09:20 AM

My rough asset allcation:

20% Land
50% Bitcoin (Started as less than 1%)
5%   Precious metals
10% Index Funds
10% Cash + Bond + Money Market
5%   Other

One thing that differentiates asset classes is the size of the barrier to entry.  Gold is accessible to just about anyone.  $50 would be enough for some gold chain.  Fine art I consider to be on the other end of the spectrum, especially considered you should probably have a few different pieces to be diversified.  If I had the means, I would buy a Stradivarius violin, and then loan it out to a world-class musician.

Bitcoins barrier to entry is mostly the technical know how, although that keeps getting lowered every passing day.
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 11:34:32 AM

ALL IN!

Also considering changing one bitcoin to lites, just on the chance that they increase faster. No big loss if they don't.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
troy112

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 04:59:58 PM

land
gold
bitcoin
cash

not much of a paper person...
skivrmt

Activity: 994
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 05:32:22 PM

It used to be that the way one diversified their wealth was to break it into three main parts:
1. Cash
2. Gold
3. Artwork

Along those lines, I've taken to the 21st century version:
1. Bitcoin (of course.)
2. Gold (still strong!)
3. Magic Cards (games are this generation's art.)

That's just me though.  How are you all diversifying YOUR holdings?

It's an interesting diversification of course.  I'm surprised there's no stocks or bonds in there.  Gold is not really an investment although lately (ie, last 10 years) people have used it as such.  It's a hedge.  Look at the return of gold over the long run (not 10 years), and compare it to basically anything, stocks, bonds, real estate etc, it's basically last in return vs. inflation.

I'm not saying it's not good to hold, I think its great to hold, more than 20% of your holdings, probably not.  I don't know enough about artwork or magic card enough to comment on. Smiley
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 05:32:54 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2014, 11:36:48 PM by aminorex

For a very reliable rate of return, vintage Armagnac is hard to beat.

But in practice my diversification strategy is to buy many different flavors of bitcoin.  May, September, January bitcoins.  At that point, I have nothing left for broader diversification.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
BreathOfZen (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 09:40:34 PM

I'm not saying it's not good to hold, I think its great to hold, more than 20% of your holdings, probably not.  I don't know enough about artwork or magic card enough to comment on. Smiley
It may sound funny, but high-end magic cards have had a higher rate of return then the dow jones for pretty much every year since they Magic was created over 20 years ago, including this year.  In a way, they've sort of been like the Bitcoin of the 90's.

Aoeui Artifacts
skivrmt

Activity: 994
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 01:08:09 AM

It may sound funny, but high-end magic cards have had a higher rate of return then the dow jones for pretty much every year since they Magic was created over 20 years ago, including this year.  In a way, they've sort of been like the Bitcoin of the 90's.

I am not doubting you at all, just didn't know enough about them to make any comments about diversification!  Just know they are like a commodity, only worth what someone, at some given time, is willing to pay for them, very similar to gold, bitcoin, etc.  It's an interesting concept to have cards as a diversification tool though.  But I would still recommend owning something that has real worth because of what it actually is.  Land, real estate, stock, etc.  More the merrier. Smiley
Jungian
Legendary

Activity: 930
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 02:44:38 AM

20% Land
5%   Precious metals
10% Index Funds
5%   Other

One thing that differentiates asset classes is the size of the barrier to entry.  Gold is accessible to just about anyone.  $50 would be enough for some gold chain.  Fine art I consider to be on the other end of the spectrum, especially considered you should probably have a few different pieces to be diversified.  If I had the means, I would buy a Stradivarius violin, and then loan it out to a world-class musician.

Bitcoins barrier to entry is mostly the technical know how, although that keeps getting lowered every passing day.

Do you know of a good guide to buying land? I want to get in on this, but have 0 idea where to start.

I think Monero (XMR) is very interesting.
https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:40:23 AM

20% Land
5%   Precious metals
10% Index Funds
5%   Other

Do you know of a good guide to buying land? I want to get in on this, but have 0 idea where to start.

1) Find a country where you are legally entitled to buy land as a foreigner
2) Find out land appreciation prices in these countries
3) Hop on a plane to the top three locations Smiley
Cubic Earth
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1018

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:46:12 AM

I have come to own land though partnerships, and both parcels that I am involved with I came across though personal connections in my life.  I have also seen similar patterns with my friends.  

I am sure there are guides, but I don't know of any myself.  I think it is harder if you spend all of your time in a city.  It really helps to know an area and then you can be attuned to opportunities.  And - have cash ready to go.

I don't know too much though, I'm sure there are experts on here that could give you much better advice.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:57:11 AM

I have come to own land though partnerships, and both parcels that I am involved with I came across though personal connections in my life.  I have also seen similar patterns with my friends.  

I am sure there are guides, but I don't know of any myself.  I think it is harder if you spend all of your time in a city.  It really helps to know an area and then you can be attuned to opportunities.  And - have cash ready to go.

I don't know too much though, I'm sure there are experts on here that could give you much better advice.

Definitely not something to rush into, or you will be sold a plot of land someone else already owns or is worthless for some other reason Wink but opportunities for purchasing land do exist, you just need to do a heck of a lot of "due diligence"
_Miracle

Activity: 906
Merit: 659

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 06:42:48 AM

Real estate, precious metals, "certain" speculative endeavors and education but I'm upside down, with the lofty "goal" of getting it together enough to file B.K. this year.

I'd like it to be
Multiple income producing properties, Stocks, Precious Metals, interests in privately owned companies, art, classic vehicles/motorcycles and that my days are spent working for a foundation for foster children all the while being very well insured.

There 'used' to be more truth in forums than anywhere else.  Twitter:  @cryptobitchicks  Spock: "I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously. To which are you referring?"  INTJ-A
_Miracle

Activity: 906
Merit: 659

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 06:52:39 AM

20% Land
5%   Precious metals
10% Index Funds
5%   Other

Do you want to buy raw undeveloped land or property that produces cash flow? As another forum member pointed out, it's best to buy in an area that you are familiar with. Actually it's best to invest in assets that you are familiar with.

There 'used' to be more truth in forums than anywhere else.  Twitter:  @cryptobitchicks  Spock: "I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously. To which are you referring?"  INTJ-A
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: