Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:10:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When the scrypt ASICs come out...  (Read 4777 times)
atp1916
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 01:09:27 PM

I want scrypt asics to come out. People here bitching about not being able to make money is embarrassing. If all you care about is making money, then you are missing the whole point of cryptocurrencies. We need asics to increase the diff and secure the network. we need more efficient miners instead of power hungry GPUs.

Its evolution baby. 

No.  GPUs are for the masses, ASICs are for the rich few.  Keep scrypt in the hands of the people.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
repairguy

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 01:14:46 PM

I want scrypt asics to come out. People here bitching about not being able to make money is embarrassing. If all you care about is making money, then you are missing the whole point of cryptocurrencies. We need asics to increase the diff and secure the network. we need more efficient miners instead of power hungry GPUs.

Its evolution baby. 

I completely agree that the fundamental purpose of crypo is not about profit, however without profitability there would be very few miners and that would entirely defeat the purpose of crypto.

Asic efficency vs "power hungry" gpus is moot.  Yes an asic will produce about 250 times the hashes for the same amount of electricity, however the bitcoin network is currently much larger than when gpus ran hard for sha-256 and is only a fraction of what it will be when all of the new asic hit the shelf. Not really an improvement, except that I can buy a gpu anywhere and asic's take control out of the community and put it at the manufactures.
Don007
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007

Live like there is no tomorrow!

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 01:18:26 PM

There are also 'Scrypt Jane' based coins, with a changing N-factor. Scrypt ASICs aren't in the position to mine these coins, as they are going to be made for Scrypt based coins only.

I think that's why a coin like MicroCoin has potential, as those Scrypt ASICs won't rule that market.

{Curently quite inactive as I'm really busy in my private life. I will get back soon!}

-> Your line here during my inactivity? Feel free to PM <-
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 01:22:40 PM

the story will repeat, just more scrypt-jane will be released and we gpu user will move to that, or a completely new algo will be created...
tokyoghetto
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 01:23:43 PM

Its evolution baby. 

No.  GPUs are for the masses, ASICs are for the rich few.  Keep scrypt in the hands of the people.

You mean GPUs are for the poor. ASICs aren't that expensive. $10000 isn't expensive when you look at mining as a business and not as a get rich quick scheme.
repairguy

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 01:43:16 PM

Its evolution baby. 

You mean GPUs are for the poor. ASICs aren't that expensive. $10000 isn't expensive when you look at mining as a business and not as a get rich quick scheme.

The number of people I know that could risk $10k are very few.
tokyoghetto
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 02:43:49 PM

Its evolution baby. 

The number of people I know that could risk $10k are very few.

Same here. But nothing ventured nothing gained. I saved up a lot to finally be able to buy asics. I run the risk of not getting ROI. The reason people want to keep GPU mining is because they can ROI in 3 -6 months. Most businesses in the world don't get anywhere near that, except for maybe selling drugs. Scrypt coins will never be excepted if the networks are secured by a ragtag of GPUs in someones basement. ASICs is what really boosted BTC. GPU mining is easy money but people shouldn't be upset that those days are coming to an end.

If it wasn't for mining, most people wont be here or care about cryptos. Well thats too bad, times are changing. Either get on the train, or just become a end user of the coins being produced.
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 03:07:06 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath on Scrypt asic's being a problem for a long time... GPU mining will be profitable for quite a while.
ballot

Activity: 969

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 07:55:39 PM

already scrypt asics are ready
http://mall.diginforce.com/goods.php?id=39
anderl

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 09:02:53 PM

Script ASICs will not dominate as they did in the sha256 community. The ASICs being developed are already 23nm. And a few are low cost. And the performance gain from them is nominal. They only scale through electrical power performance.

The thing is that I run a 120MHs GPU farm. I ran it for a year mining bitcoins until Avalon started shipping. They were saying GPU mining was dead for a year before that. Even if Ltc gets more difficult for GPU mining for a short time as price goes up it makes it profitable again.

2014 will bring huge changes to  AMD GPUs. So you will catch up quickly.

And GPU mining is not for the poor. GPU mining is a lower barrier of entry. Adding a GPU to a computer is about 200 to 600. Buying a script ASIC will cost at least 2 grand. For some one just getting in for the first time it is easy to get a GPU while buying an ASIC is a huge risk.

tokyoghetto
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 09:55:11 PM

Script ASICs will not dominate as they did in the sha256 community. The ASICs being developed are already 23nm. And a few are low cost. And the performance gain from them is nominal. They only scale through electrical power performance.

The thing is that I run a 120MHs GPU farm. I ran it for a year mining bitcoins until Avalon started shipping. They were saying GPU mining was dead for a year before that. Even if Ltc gets more difficult for GPU mining for a short time as price goes up it makes it profitable again.

And GPU mining is not for the poor. GPU mining is a lower barrier of entry. Adding a GPU to a computer is about 200 to 600. Buying a script ASIC will cost at least 2 grand. For some one just getting in for the first time it is easy to get a GPU while buying an ASIC is a huge risk.

would you recommend someone start a gpu farm at this stage in the game?
r00tdude

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 10:04:33 PM

already scrypt asics are ready
http://mall.diginforce.com/goods.php?id=39

Really? 300KH @ 60W? This isn't a step beyond GPU's... it's practically in the 50% +/- range of a top end GPU. R9/290X = 950KH~300W.

That's what people are trying to tell you - even with the 1st gen ASICs, they are not a quantum leap in efficiency above the top end GPUs. Remember, the GPUs most people are using these days are built on the same 28nm die size that the 3rd gen ASICs used for sha256 mining are/will be.

It'll be quite a while before the scrypt ASICs will represent the kind of hashing power that puts GPUs in the back seat again... and even the AMD's of the world could easily beat out this efficiency with a mining-only GPU which I've heard rumors they are considering.

Please quit spreading FUD.

Bitrated user: r00tdude.
anderl

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 10:21:43 PM

would you recommend someone start a gpu farm at this stage in the game?

Yes.  As I stated, I started mining on 2 GPUs 20 months ago when they said GPU mining was going to die in 3 months.  I switched to exclusive scrypt mining 10 months ago.  I do not plan to sell the farm as I plan to move it to scrypt-jane coins.  LTC was a red headed stepchild back then and was considered a joke.  Terracoin was considered the better coin.  When BTC was getting more difficult to mine that is when LTC started taking off.

I expect that scrypt-jane coins will be the next big wave.
tokyoghetto
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 02:33:02 AM

its happening...Scrypt Asic baby yea!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=424987.0

repairguy

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 04:20:31 AM

I am very skeptical.  You know what they say, a fool and his money are soon parted.
cryptomining

Activity: 434

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 04:25:04 AM

I am very skeptical.  You know what they say, a fool and his money are soon parted.

skepticism is warranted, i'm not taking orders till they get here, so no one is getting burned by me.
kalus

Activity: 420
Merit: 263

let's make a deal.

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 09:25:56 PM

stop trolling , its not vulnerable at all.
so litecoin is too big to fail?

yes litecoin and bitcoin have the biggest networks.

not anymore!  so do you think doge too big to fail now?  

Fuckin' awesome:

DOGE = 96 GH/s
LITECOIN = 79 GH/s

http://www.reddit.com/r/litecoinmining/comments/1vsd1g/dogecoin_just_overtook_litecoin_total_network/

i think from what we've seen in the last 3 days demonstrates that no scrypt coin is really immune to a possible attack, and would be vulnerable to a large influx of asic miners.  This includes Litecoin, which no longer has a bigger network than dogecoin. As many others have said in other threads distributed scrypt ASICs will be essential to maintain the security of these altcoins to prevent attacks.  

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: