Bitcoin Forum
July 16, 2024, 08:58:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is BTC value significantly different among exchangers?  (Read 1997 times)
the_poet (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1137
Merit: 1035

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 11:07:44 AM

I couldn't help but notice that BTC price varies significantly depending on which exchange websites you consider. In some cases the difference can be up to $100 (see Bitstamp and MtGox). What's the most reliable source?

Under construction.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 12:08:22 PM

MtGox is distorted because its virtually impossible to withdraw fiat from it.

The "real" price is bitstamp / btc-e
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 01:02:30 PM

Arbitrage

kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 03:37:08 PM

Arbitrage

You can't really arbitrage when it takes nearly 3 months to get any fiat out of mtgox.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
BTCIndia

Activity: 686

vini, vedi, no vici.

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 03:48:16 PM

I couldn't help but notice that BTC price varies significantly depending on which exchange websites you consider. In some cases the difference can be up to $100 (see Bitstamp and MtGox). What's the most reliable source?

Well I think, Mt.Gox has large user base distributed in various countries. They're more account than any other exchanges and most of them are buyer. And where ever buyer are more than seller, one can expect price to be high.

He's Nick Sazbo from Washington. I've my answer. Or Hal? :O
the_poet (OP)
Legendary

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 04:08:26 PM

If MtGox price is distorted, why is it often taken as a reference in transactions? Or is it just sellers that intentionally take it as a reference to profit from its higher price?

Under construction.
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 04:10:14 PM

If MtGox price is distorted, why is it often taken as a reference in transactions? Or is it just sellers that intentionally take it as a reference to profit from its higher price?

It's our first exchange, the defacto standard but we're slowly switching to bitstamp

Kungfucheez

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 04:16:27 PM

It's our first exchange, the defacto standard but we're slowly switching to bitstamp

I think MTGox should go back to trading Magic the Gathering cards and drop bitcoins  Cheesy
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 04:29:15 PM

I think MTGox should go back to trading Magic the Gathering cards and drop bitcoins  Cheesy

They'll close soon. It's a burden now and the owner is done making millions and can go on permavacation. That fucker was at the right place at the right time. Insanely lucky.

the_poet (OP)
Legendary

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 04:41:26 PM

So can we safely say the community now assumes Bitstamp as the 'official' BTC value?

Under construction.
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 04:43:20 PM

So can we safely say the community now assumes Bitstamp as the 'official' BTC value?

Almost

JohanM

Activity: 138
Merit: 36

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 05:11:34 PM

For transactions in USD: yes.
For transactions in Euro and other currencies, Mtgox still works fine. (Sending and receiving money works although you need 6 weeks to withdraw)
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 10:17:16 AM

For transactions in USD: yes.
For transactions in Euro and other currencies, Mtgox still works fine. (Sending and receiving money works although you need 6 weeks to withdraw)

6 weeks is still a "distorted" market.
Sutters Mill

Activity: 976
Merit: 575

Cryptophile at large

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 01:02:47 PM

I always get my prices from bit tamp and btce. The problem with sites like preev that take an overall average is that they're often skewed by mtgox
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 01:36:49 PM

I always get my prices from bit tamp and btce. The problem with sites like preev that take an overall average is that they're often skewed by mtgox

What is "bit tamp"?
AndersAA

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 06:47:00 PM

Am I the only one who still doesn't get it? Why don't billionaires buy a crapload of BTC elsewhere for 800$ elsewhere and sell them for 900$ on mtgox?? To me it sounds like an almost instant 12.5% profit with a 6 week payout time?
Do we expect mtgox to take the money and run?
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 06:50:28 PM

Am I the only one who still doesn't get it? Why don't billionaires buy a crapload of BTC elsewhere for 800$ elsewhere and sell them for 900$ on mtgox?? To me it sounds like an almost instant 12.5% profit with a 6 week payout time?

Pretty much

empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:38:50 AM

Sell them for $900 and then do what with the cash? The problem is you can't withdraw fiat from gox. People have been queuing for 6 months to get money out of gox.

Do you see why people don't do it? Gox is likely to go out of business before people get their fiat out.
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 02:49:44 PM

Sell them for $900 and then do what with the cash? The problem is you can't withdraw fiat from gox. People have been queuing for 6 months to get money out of gox.

Do you see why people don't do it? Gox is likely to go out of business before people get their fiat out.

Fly to japan, get a free vacation. 0 risk.

empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:39:05 PM

Fly to japan, get a free vacation. 0 risk.

I've got a Japanese mate in Tokyo. He says the Gox staff is "tiny" (not by height, by volume). He's going to test for us how quickly a Japanese national can get his fiat out to a Japanese bank account. Our current best guess is "very slow", because its taking weeks for him to even get verified. Typical gox
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: