Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:26:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Donate bitcointalk advertisement money to Bitcoin client development  (Read 657 times)
amincd (OP)

Activity: 772
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 01:42:52 PM
Last edit: January 17, 2014, 01:56:32 PM by amincd

From what I understand, the ad revenue from Bitcointalk is currently going to a fund to upgrade the forum software. I think it would be much better spent donating to those developing new Bitcoin clients. Bitcoin has some great projects happening now, but the Satoshi client only has one full-time paid programmer. I think having several paid programmers working on the reference client would be more fitting for a network the size of Bitcoin's.

I'm guessing the ad revenue minus the 25% donated to the moderators and the portion spent on hosting expenses would be enough or close to enough to hire one additional full-time developer, which could make a big difference.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 04:38:30 PM

From what I understand, the ad revenue from Bitcointalk is currently going to a fund to upgrade the forum software. I think it would be much better spent donating to those developing new Bitcoin clients. Bitcoin has some great projects happening now, but the Satoshi client only has one full-time paid programmer. I think having several paid programmers working on the reference client would be more fitting for a network the size of Bitcoin's.

I'm guessing the ad revenue minus the 25% donated to the moderators and the portion spent on hosting expenses would be enough or close to enough to hire one additional full-time developer, which could make a big difference.

The forum money isn't being spent on anything related to the forums, look around, look at the old post that suggested the upgrade. It's being stored, and will be cashed out slowly by Theymos when the value is high enough, to buy him a nice castle.

There may have been bonuses sent out, but if memory serves correctly, there is edit: ~$9,000,000 in the forum accounts.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 01:07:05 AM

I don't think giving a donation from the forums to the developers if they need it is a bad idea, but I don't think constantly paying the developers would be a good idea. The forums are a place to get together and talk about Bitcoin, its an informal message board, not a hiring agency. The goal is not to centralize, if everything bitcoin starts revolving around the forums, rather than it just being a convient place to chat, problems could occur.

The forum money isn't being spent on anything related to the forums, look around, look at the old post that suggested the upgrade. It's being stored, and will be cashed out slowly by Theymos when the value is high enough, to buy him a nice castle.

There may have been bonuses sent out, but if memory serves correctly, there is edit: ~$9,000,000 in the forum accounts.

Would you mind providing TXIDs to where Theymos is taking BTC out of the forum's fund? (not to mention that Theymos doesn't actually hold most of the coins)

Also, Custom forum software was announced to have started development about a month ago, maybe more, it will take a while, but there will be new forum software. If we are lucky, that "~$9,000,000 in the forum accounts" will be a whole lot more by the time it needs to be spent.

I don't know what the big emphasis is on spending the forum's coins, why must all of the coins be spent? Had they all been spent last year, they would have had far less buying power. The longer the coins sit, the more buying power the forums has for upgrades. Why must it all be spent immediately if not sooner?
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 03:50:24 AM

I don't think giving a donation from the forums to the developers if they need it is a bad idea, but I don't think constantly paying the developers would be a good idea. The forums are a place to get together and talk about Bitcoin, its an informal message board, not a hiring agency. The goal is not to centralize, if everything bitcoin starts revolving around the forums, rather than it just being a convient place to chat, problems could occur.

Would you mind providing TXIDs to where Theymos is taking BTC out of the forum's fund? (not to mention that Theymos doesn't actually hold most of the coins)

Also, Custom forum software was announced to have started development about a month ago, maybe more, it will take a while, but there will be new forum software. If we are lucky, that "~$9,000,000 in the forum accounts" will be a whole lot more by the time it needs to be spent.

I don't know what the big emphasis is on spending the forum's coins, why must all of the coins be spent? Had they all been spent last year, they would have had far less buying power. The longer the coins sit, the more buying power the forums has for upgrades. Why must it all be spent immediately if not sooner?

http://blockchain.info/address/1M4yNbSCwSMFLF9BaLqzoo2to1WHtZrPke

This is his "Treasurer" account. 5100 btc here alone.

Lets be honest with ourselves here, $9 million USD is way more than this site will ever need in our generation, and those to follow. When BTC become mainstream and widely accepted everywhere, these forums will no longer be needed. Who else is signed up to forums to discuss the USD, Euro, etc?

The longer the coins sit, the more they mature for Theymos..

What could happen is Theymos could hire a company, such as vistaprint, and use 1/9th of the funds to send a letter to 2 million of the richest homes in the world a letter about bitcoin. But that would lose him at current rate $1,000,000.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: