Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:15:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Paul Krugman Effect  (Read 6908 times)
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2011, 10:14:07 AM

It's interesting to witness how difficult it is to think out of the box even for a Nobel prize winner in economics.
He cannot help it but project on bitcoins his outdated vision of what a "monetary system" was before the invention of bitcoins.

Perhaps, Krugman new claim for fame is the definition of a new profession: bitcoin-basher.
Given the amount of reaction his moronic article generated, I am convinced that pretty soon some journalists or "economists" will be able to make a reasonable living out of it..

"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The_Duke

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 10:59:42 AM

what a "monetary system" was before the invention of bitcoins.

Jesus F. Christ, the megalomania of some people never stops to amaze me. The monetary system before bitcoin? Really? Bitcoin has already changed all of that?

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 11:30:23 AM

what a "monetary system" was before the invention of bitcoins.

Jesus F. Christ, the megalomania of some people never stops to amaze me. The monetary system before bitcoin? Really? Bitcoin has already changed all of that?

There have been smaller money systems than bitcoin. Bitcoin is in an early phase, but it is global. Some people don't think it is revolutionary, yet. Time will reveal to them what the geeks already believe.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
iprivately

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 02:24:56 PM

While I don't like Krugman, having him mention Bitcoin in the NYT is huge. You'll see new entrants to the market.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 03:46:57 PM

While I don't like Krugman, having him mention Bitcoin in the NYT is huge. You'll see new entrants to the market.

... who will be able to buy at competitive prices!

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
iprivately

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 04:26:28 PM

does it matter?
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 04:49:57 PM

does it matter?

I didn't mean that in a bad way (envy). I'm not sure wether or not it makes any difference or what kind of difference that would be.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 05:29:02 PM

Maybe Krugman is more devious that we give credit. Who is going to look at this chart and say, "Hey, now doesn't that look like fun?"

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 05:34:35 PM

cant go anywhere but up now.
iprivately

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 05:50:11 PM

take a look at this one, yikes!

http://i56.tinypic.com/9i94dk.png
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 06:06:07 PM

It's interesting to witness how difficult it is to think out of the box even for a Nobel prize winner in economics.
He cannot help it but project on bitcoins his outdated vision of what a "monetary system" was before the invention of bitcoins.
Reality seems to have the same outdated vision, but who cares?
mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 06:12:16 PM

Give slashdot some credit. The first post was:
Qualifying Krugman as a "prominent Keynesian economist" is like calling Stephen Hawking a "prominent Einsteinian physicist". I call shenanigans.
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 06:53:22 PM

take a look at this one, yikes!

There's a subtle difference tho: DJI shows a ≅10% fall—mtgox has fallen 50% since the netrin graph highs.
hightax

Activity: 42

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 07:03:25 PM

Qualifying Krugman as a "prominent Keynesian economist" is like calling Stephen Hawking a "prominent Einsteinian physicist". I call shenanigans.

For some stupid reason people who call themselves "austrian economists" are still given credibility despite their continued track record of failure, so in this case the distinction is prudent.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 07:29:48 PM

For some stupid reason people who call themselves "austrian economists" are still given credibility despite their continued track record of failure, so in this case the distinction is prudent.

Heh.  Track record of failure.

If you want a real track record of failure, consider that all evidence in favor of Keynesianism is in the form of "well, sure, this was a fucking disaster, but think how much worse it would have been if we hadn't stepped in".

You wouldn't trust a doctor that killed each and every patient he ever treated just because he claims that they would have turned into bloodthirsty zombies if he hadn't helped.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2011, 07:11:13 AM
Last edit: September 11, 2011, 10:28:49 AM by mrb

The most insightful comment to Krugman's blog so far is the one suggesting that a very simple Bitcoin fork could address the only "flaw" that Krugman noted: one could change the cap from 21M coins to a slightly inflationary model where, for example, the coins supply would inflate by +2% every year. (I put "flaw" in quotes because the cap was specifically not seen as a flaw by Satoshi.)

Think about it people. If all it takes for a decentralized crypto currency to be successful (according to this prominent economist), then this fork of Bitcoin is bound to happen.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 07:19:45 AM

The most insightful comment to Krugman's blog so far is the one suggesting that a very simple Bitcoin fork could address the only flaw that Krugman noted: one could change the cap from 21M coins to a slightly inflationary model where, for example, the coins supply would inflate by +2% every year.

Think about it people. If all it takes to get a decentralized crypto currency validated by a prominent economist like Krugman, then this fork of Bitcoin is bound to happen.

KruggieCoin, yay! Do you think he could get major nationstates to use it? That would be quite a bit better than XYZScamCoin, although it also only has a slight modification of the code, too (most prevalent criticism towards OtherCoins)

hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 09:52:03 AM

The most insightful comment to Krugman's blog so far is the one suggesting that a very simple Bitcoin fork could address the only "flaw" that Krugman noted: one could change the cap from 21M coins to a slightly inflationary model where, for example, the coins supply would inflate by +2% every year. (I put "flaw" in quotes because the cap was specifically not seen as a flaw by Satoshi.)

Think about it people. If this is all it takes to get a decentralized crypto currency validated by a prominent economist like Krugman, then this fork of Bitcoin is bound to happen.

Please go ahead and good luck.

Im really looking forward to someone to create an inflationary version of Bitcoin, so when it fails we can point at it and end up the nonsense.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 10:09:26 AM

Im really looking forward to someone to create an inflationary version of Bitcoin, so when it fails we can point at it and end up the nonsense.
Bitcoin is extrememly inflationary at the moment, so the best example is itself. Much more than 2% of the current number of coins are generated per year. Yes, this won't be true some point in the (long) future, but that's so long away I doubt it has any influence on the market.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Lupus_Yonderboy

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 12:04:45 PM

The Real Krugman Effect

I am really looking forward to the failure of Bitcoin so we can all point at it and end this nonsense Wink

Nobel economist > armchair forum economists
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: