Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 12:54:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dilemma of FBI coins  (Read 2785 times)
BTCIndia (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

vini, vedi, no vici.

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 03:28:36 PM

Considering there are only two kind of people/organization- rational and irrational. To which category US/FBI belong? I think, rational. And rational people, try to maximize their profit in every possible way as per their knowledge domain. For example, people who hold thousands of coin don't spend in one shot. They spend in chunks depending on price and future prediction. What about FBI/US? Considering, them as an organization/person existing for the good of society. When it comes to money(specially money received for negligible/free)... we all need money. And for everything money is needed. So, according to me-FBI/US will try to maximize their profit, in order to do better for the society, reduce crime etc. And who has better access to testified knowledge? For sure personnel in FBI or government organization. And when they're deciding to sell those seized coin, means they think they can't get more than this. I've ignored judiciary in this assumption as I know nothing about them. Do they order to sell coin? Or organization decides? For sure, organization is also run by officials and most of the decision are taken by top-rational officers. Not referendum.

If they're selling then should I worry? Because they know more than I do and they can take better decision about selling them(perfect time to sell). Or is it other way round that, FBI/US sees opportunity to break confidence of market because plummets when large number of coins are dump and which will further panic market thereby decreasing price more.

He's Nick Sazbo from Washington. I've my answer. Or Hal? :O
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 04:04:58 PM

I heard the Foundation is trying to convince the FBI to sell the BTC in multiple auctions instead of one not to crash the price.

BTCIndia (OP)

vini, vedi, no vici.

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 04:07:01 PM

I heard the Foundation is trying to convince the FBI to sell the BTC in multiple auctions instead of one not to crash the price.

And give me one single reason. Why should FBI listen to bunch of techie with a mission to change future of money?

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 04:11:59 PM

And give me one single reason. Why should FBI listen to bunch of techie with a mission to change future of money?
Ths foundation consits of businessman, pretty influential. They'll find a way to negotiate with the FBI. Or we're fucked.

Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 04:13:42 PM

Well, actually, 30K coins is not that much anymore in the light of normal volumes that are traded already. And that's just on major registered exchanges, not taking into account OTC buying & selling.

Based on 114,636 BTC daily, the 29,655 BTC that the FBI is about to sell is what is normally being sold approximately every 6 hours. What's the big fuss about.

Yes, if they will instantly dump it on a single exchange, the price will temporarily drop. But only a retarded fool would do it that way. Hmmm then again... it is the government we're talking about...

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 04:15:32 PM

They're trying to change the future of money for the better. Isn't the FBI also supposed to support the same goal, i.e. public interest and benefit?  Roll Eyes

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
clubminer

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

Let's get rich together

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 05:01:01 PM

FBI want bitcoin too??  Grin

BTC-TK

Activity: 154
Merit: 14

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 05:41:07 PM

If you want Bitcoin to succeed you shall pay us a ransom of 1 (one) billion trillion quadillion BTC *puts pinky finger in mouth*

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 06:23:13 PM

FBI want bitcoin too??  Grin
Doubt that. They will be auctioning those Bitcoins soon, so I don't think it indicates they want them.

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 06:28:53 PM

They will be sold in bulk at a discount auction. No need to worry. This is actually a good thing because it removes uncertainty.

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 06:32:05 PM

They will be sold in bulk at a discount auction. No need to worry. This is actually a good thing because it removes uncertainty.

So once sold, it'll probably be a good time to invest due to the temporary drop of price?

romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 06:36:20 PM

can't they just spend it?

if they want guns, they can just buy a stack of gyft cards and have a trip to walmart, or use bitpay to buy daily crap. They should also keep some btc for sting operation and what not
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 06:42:11 PM

can't they just spend it?

if they want guns, they can just buy a stack of gyft cards and have a trip to walmart, or use bitpay to buy daily crap. They should also keep some btc for sting operation and what not
According to the law, Bitcoin is property and all legal confiscated property has to be auctioned off. That's at least what I understood after doing some reading around the webs.

EvilPanda

Activity: 658

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 06:42:15 PM

So once sold, it'll probably be a good time to invest due to the temporary drop of price?
Why would it drop? If you invest milions in BTC you probably know what you're buying - a commodity that gains value over time. I don't think any buyer would just dump his coins at once.
Don't believe trolls shouting "sell all, btc will crash because FBI will just pick one random exchange and dump all their coins at once".

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 06:46:26 PM

Why would it drop. If you invest milions in BTC you probably know what you're buying - a commodity that gains value over time. I don't think any buyer would just dump his coins at once.
Don't believe trolls shouting "sell all btc will crash because FBI will just pick one random exchange and dump all their coins there at once".
Well stupid people exist. You never know, what they will do.

BTCIndia (OP)

vini, vedi, no vici.

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 06:50:02 PM

If they're going to auction, rather then dumping in exchange then for sure this is good news. People participating in auction won't be some common man. But, people with large amount of money and understand of system will only dare to buy(or bitfool) so many coins in bulk. If they're going to auction it in bulk and there is good competition among buyers then, it bid price is assumed to be higher then exchange. You never know.. Winklevoss bidding against Zukerberg.  Wink

Look forward to FBI action for buying FBI satoshi.  Tongue

kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 07:09:55 PM

The auction will be kept secret from the general public and in all likelihood, will be sold for bargain prices to FBI insiders. By the time prices start to drop, the auction will already be over and bitcoin traders will be none the wiser. Weeks later, a bulletin will go out from the FBI declaring that they've been sold, and that will be it.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 07:10:58 PM

probably.  Wink

ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 07:34:36 PM

I Googled "FBI auctions" and found this link for siezed property.
My impression from this reading is that the government has the option to sell items at auction or at fixed price.

I suspect that an option they have is to place a limit order on one of the currency exchanges. 

http://www.govsales.gov/govsales/govsales/

I try to be respectful and informed.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 07:47:46 PM

If they are sold in bulk to private buyer(s), the price will be unaffected.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: