Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:12:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Coin Value being halved increase Value?  (Read 7770 times)
CrimsonGT (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 08:07:42 PM

Granted there is never any guarantees, however does the block value of a coin being halved generally increase the value of the coin? I have somewhat ignored DOGE coin just because it seemed silly, however I read that the block reward with halve next month. I would assume this would have a considerable effect on the value but curious if this is usually the case?
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kalus

Activity: 420
Merit: 263

let's make a deal.

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 09:57:33 PM

this is a good question.

i say no, becuase most people who do buy doge do not mine doge.  when block rewards halve it first affects miners the most, but the supply of dogecoin currently outstrips demand when you look at cryptsy order books.  i don't think surplus will change for weeks or months, if at all, after the block halving.

however, i do think when the block rewards halve a few whales will take this as an opportunity to pump-and-dump dogecoin.  I would be cautious of thinking there is a get-rich opportunity, because there are a shitton of sellers, fewer buyers, and still 70% unmined dogecoins out there.

to see the forest for the trees, in 18 months we'll have mined the last dogecoin.  i believe that will signal a genuine increase in value.  for now, i would advise mining heavily - everyone else seems to be doing this as the difficulty rose from 3xx to 5xx in a week.  I believe halving the block rewards is more of a miner signal than a signal to invest.

disclaimer i am a miner and am rich in shibe.  I also think the coin is silly, but so far it has somehow managed to work well with mining pools and switching pools that other coins cower in fear from.  the value continues to go up with supply, so i could be completely wrong.  since i hold dogecoin, i would be happy to be proven wrong. 

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms
sundownz

Activity: 714
Merit: 512

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 02:01:52 AM

Most coins seem to increase in value with difficulty at least to a point -- halving the reward is basically like doubling difficulty in effect.

IMO I'd expect at least a small increase in the value.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 02:18:38 AM

People were wondering about this when the BTC rewards halved. The price was more unstable for a few days after it did half, but didn't double in price.

Well, it did eventually, but that wasn't cuz of the reward halving.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
financial_analyst

Activity: 276
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 09:54:03 PM

No effect on price since the information that the block reward is halved is known beforehand to the market and is reflected in the current price of DOGE.
ndnh
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1005

New Decentralized Nuclear Hobbit

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 12:29:01 AM

True. In the short term the market can react in both ways... But in the long term it is going high TO THE MOON !

holyterrorboss

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 10:14:27 PM

this is a good question.

i say no, becuase most people who do buy doge do not mine doge.  when block rewards halve it first affects miners the most, but the supply of dogecoin currently outstrips demand when you look at cryptsy order books.  i don't think surplus will change for weeks or months, if at all, after the block halving.

however, i do think when the block rewards halve a few whales will take this as an opportunity to pump-and-dump dogecoin.  I would be cautious of thinking there is a get-rich opportunity, because there are a shitton of sellers, fewer buyers, and still 70% unmined dogecoins out there.

to see the forest for the trees, in 18 months we'll have mined the last dogecoin.  i believe that will signal a genuine increase in value.  for now, i would advise mining heavily - everyone else seems to be doing this as the difficulty rose from 3xx to 5xx in a week.  I believe halving the block rewards is more of a miner signal than a signal to invest.

disclaimer i am a miner and am rich in shibe.  I also think the coin is silly, but so far it has somehow managed to work well with mining pools and switching pools that other coins cower in fear from.  the value continues to go up with supply, so i could be completely wrong.  since i hold dogecoin, i would be happy to be proven wrong. 

In 18 months we'll have mined the last dogecoin? There will be an annual inflation of dogecoin by 5 billion a year forever. The dogecoin developers decided not to fix the infinite dogecoin problem. Read this article here http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/02/dogecoin-to-allow-annual-inflation-of-5-billion-coins-each-year-forever/. Don't let this freak you out though. I still support dogecoin %100 but I think the value is going to more than double after it halves and it will probably be a good time to sell. There is another thread about this that has been going for awhile, check it out at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=426382.new#new.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: