Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:26:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Looks like the Manipulator is back in the market. Buy-hold-SELL SELL SELL  (Read 3845 times)
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 07:55:38 PM

So your the reason why I get retarded emails like this!?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=42106.0

Becuase people really believe what they read on forums......

The bitcoin speculation board has shifted more towards a conspiracy theory board.
Seems like it for sure..!!

Now its an advertisement board!!!
CheaperinBitcoins.com
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Edward50 (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 09:01:24 PM

I bought in earlier today at 6.8. My first bitcoins. This manipulator better stick in there until I can dumb them over $8.00.

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
Jixtreme

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 09:35:02 PM

I bought in earlier today at 6.8. My first bitcoins.

Somehow I'm skeptical...
Minsc

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 09:42:32 PM

I bought in earlier today at 6.8. My first bitcoins. This manipulator better stick in there until I can dumb them over $8.00.

Why not $2?

1DcXvfJdeJch9uptKopte5XQarTtj5ZjpL
gw4tt

Activity: 126

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 09:57:50 PM

Why not $2?

The manipulator is back. This changes everything.  Cool
Edward50 (OP)

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 02:02:57 AM

Guys, I must admit I decided to sell my bitcoins. It looks like even with the manipulator back in, the downward pressure is so high that we are sure to fall. I sold out all my bitcoins, and made only $2.00 profit, lol.

Things are looking bad. Manipulation can not help the market much now. The negative sentiment is at an all time high. Most people seem to be bearish, while a month ago they were very optimistic

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 02:34:30 AM

Ed's opinion is just as valid as anyone else. Why do people trash on him so much is beyond me. He was not rude to anyone...
Minsc

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 02:47:06 AM

Ed's opinion is just as valid as anyone else. Why do people trash on him so much is beyond me. He was not rude to anyone...

Ed's a genius.  All his predictions have been accurate so far.

mjcmurfy

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2011, 04:22:51 AM

I guess it might have something to do with his paranoid delusions of a subversive, malevolent and seemingly omniscient entity called the manipulator bending the bitcoin markets to it's evil will.

Meh, I guess he could be right for all I know. But I have found that when shit hits the fan, it's more frequently due to ignorance and stupidity than deceit and subterfuge.

Occam's razor: when faced with competing hypotheses that are equal in other respects, the one that makes the fewest new assumptions is probably correct. I.e. the simplest solution is probably the correct one.

I.e human ignorance and stupidity is to blame, not the devious machinations of the manipulator.

http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/images/bct_button_117_30.png - BitCoinTorrentz.com: High-speed HTTP torrent downloads. 0.05 btc/gb. Up to 50% discount with free membership!
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 04:56:57 AM

I guess it might have something to do with his paranoid delusions of a subversive, malevolent and seemingly omniscient entity called the manipulator bending the bitcoin markets to it's evil will.

Meh, I guess he could be right for all I know. But I have found that when shit hits the fan, it's more frequently due to ignorance and stupidity than deceit and subterfuge.

Occam's razor: when faced with competing hypotheses that are equal in other respects, the one that makes the fewest new assumptions is probably correct. I.e. the simplest solution is probably the correct one.

I.e human ignorance and stupidity is to blame, not the devious machinations of the manipulator.

a manipulator is simply someone on an exchange with a lot more money then me. it is really that simple. bitcoin
is their toy to play with anyway they want when they can buy/sell/bid/ask 1000s of BTC on a whim.

can you not imagine having 50-100K on mtgox and just goofing around? watching the peasants think your 25K bid at 6.90 is real?
i can and think these "boogy men/women" exist.

ed is more then likely right. There are a few players playing around.
mjcmurfy

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2011, 05:44:23 AM

a manipulator is simply someone on an exchange with a lot more money then me. it is really that simple. bitcoin
is their toy to play with anyway they want when they can buy/sell/bid/ask 1000s of BTC on a whim.

can you not imagine having 50-100K on mtgox and just goofing around? watching the peasants think your 25K bid at 6.90 is real?

I understand the concept, and fully agree that there are people out there with the capability of drastically affecting the market price. But this is the same in many markets. I don't like the collective labeling of high volume traders as... 'the manipulator'. They are simply people doing their downright best to secure their own interests. I'd be doing it myself if I had the capital.

My point was this. Ed believes these strange market movements to be due to the actions of a single manipulator with some devious plan to alter the price. I believe that it is due to the collective behavior of traders, some with greater influence on the price than others, but all seeking to maximize their own reward.

One is a logical and rational standpoint to take, the other isn't. People can come to their own conclusions on which is which.

http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/images/bct_button_117_30.png - BitCoinTorrentz.com: High-speed HTTP torrent downloads. 0.05 btc/gb. Up to 50% discount with free membership!
Minsc

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 05:49:19 AM

The manipulators have to profit.  They can put a buywall at $10 or a sell wall at $1 but they'll lose money.

fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 05:52:50 AM

I understand the concept, and fully agree that there are people out there with the capability of drastically affecting the market price. But this is the same in many markets. I don't like the collective labeling of high volume traders as... 'the manipulator'. They are simply people doing their downright best to secure their own interests. I'd be doing it myself if I had the capital.

My point was this. Ed believes these strange market movements to be due to the actions of a single manipulator with some devious plan to alter the price. I believe that it is due to the collective behavior of traders, some with greater influence on the price than others, but all seeking to maximize their own reward.

One is a logical and rational standpoint to take, the other isn't. People can come to their own conclusions on which is which.

What other market can you think of that 100K can whip saw it all over the place?

I guess the term "manipulator" was just more fun to throw around as a label for people with more money then me trading in bitcoins.
When a single person can drop the price by 10% in seconds.. i would say they have the ability to manipulate the market for bitcoins
a lot more then any other market i can come up with right now.

But i do understand your point and concede.
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 06:23:49 AM

As for easily being able to move the market quickly I literally moved the prices on www.bitcoin7.com from 7.25 to 6.80 from just 70 BTC's. I can only imagine how the other markets are easy to move.
mjcmurfy

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2011, 06:32:59 AM

What other market can you think of that 100K can whip saw it all over the place?

I guess the term "manipulator" was just more fun to throw around as a label for people with more money then me trading in bitcoins.
When a single person can drop the price by 10% in seconds.. i would say they have the ability to manipulate the market for bitcoins

Maybe if all the exchanges got together and pooled all of their bid and ask prices, then medium/large-ish transactions wouldn't affect the overall price so much. It's because they are all so fragmented and diffuse, each with relatively small volume individually, that the price can be affected so easily. 100k on a single bitcoin exchange might as well be trillions on any other market.

Most other markets are bigger, so require larger volumes to affect price but they also have bigger players (banks, hedge funds, pension funds, governments) who can affect their particular markets to the same degree. But I desist, I'm being pedantic. I know what you meant.

It seems to be an inescapable fact of life that people will use and abuse economic hegemony time and time again for their own individual gain. It appalls me that this is the way our global economic system works.

jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 10:01:53 AM

Maybe if all the exchanges got together and pooled all of their bid and ask prices, then medium/large-ish transactions wouldn't affect the overall price so much. It's because they are all so fragmented and diffuse, each with relatively small volume individually, that the price can be affected so easily. 100k on a single bitcoin exchange might as well be trillions on any other market.

Most other markets are bigger, so require larger volumes to affect price but they also have bigger players (banks, hedge funds, pension funds, governments) who can affect their particular markets to the same degree. But I desist, I'm being pedantic. I know what you meant.

It seems to be an inescapable fact of life that people will use and abuse economic hegemony time and time again for their own individual gain. It appalls me that this is the way our global economic system works.

What you suggest is already being accomplished indirectly through arbitrage. We just need more overall volume to keep the market prices stable. That will come when there is a higher demand for actually using BTC.
The_Duke

Activity: 252

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 10:39:24 AM

What you suggest is already being accomplished indirectly through arbitrage. We just need more overall volume to keep the market prices stable. That will come when there is a higher demand for actually using BTC.

Why do you think a market price for something that is inherently deflationary will EVER become stable?

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
Edward50 (OP)

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 11:49:45 AM

I do not understand how anyone can deny that there is probably a manipulator int he market, and most likely a single individual.

I hope you guys are looking at the market depth on mt. gox. trade data.

When you see something like this that happens within an hour or so, and has happened multiple times with both adding and removing those bid orders, then there is no doubt that its a manipulator. Also it is proven that fake bid walls have always been put up and removed.

So look at the before and after, how can you explain those changes in numbers happening at ever .05 cents range. This all happens all so quickly. This is so obvious that someone is manipulating the market, trying to hold the prices stable. I wonder now if this individual was the reason why prices skyrockted up to $30 dollars.

BEFORE:
Bid   5.8   364.84
Bid   5.85   478
Bid   5.9   537.58
Bid   5.95   673.46
Bid   6   1020.74
Bid   6.05   722.89
Bid   6.1   585.42
Bid   6.15   170.63
Bid   6.2   2909.72
Bid   6.25   252.23
Bid   6.3   1084.7
Bid   6.35   722.51
Bid   6.4   427.88
Bid   6.45   677.62
Bid   6.5   0746.27
Bid   6.55   691.65

AFTER:

Bid   5.8   1864.84
Bid   5.85   378
Bid   5.9   2137.58
Bid   5.95   3273.46
Bid   6   7020.74
Bid   6.05   3122.89
Bid   6.1   3585.42
Bid   6.15   170.63
Bid   6.2   6909.72
Bid   6.25   1252.23
Bid   6.3   1084.7
Bid   6.35   1722.51
Bid   6.4   2827.88
Bid   6.45   1677.62
Bid   6.5   1746.27
Bid   6.55   4791.65

jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 12:20:53 PM

Why do you think a market price for something that is inherently deflationary will EVER become stable?

Because I don't buy into disproven Keynesian nonsense...which is why I'm here. Why are YOU here? (That's rhetorical, it's obvious.)
Jixtreme

Activity: 121

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 12:54:03 PM

THIS.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: