Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 08:33:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Interest Check (serious canadian interests only at this time please)
Miner: <500GH to add - 6 (17.6%)
Miner: 0.5-1TH to add - 2 (5.9%)
Miner: 1-2TH to add - 4 (11.8%)
Miner: >2TH to add - 12 (35.3%)
Investor: <1 BTC to invest - 2 (5.9%)
Investor: 2-5 BTC to invest - 4 (11.8%)
Investor: >5 BTC to invest - 4 (11.8%)
Total Voters: 34

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Testing Capacity] Klondike Mining Collective - Toronto, Ontario Mining Facility  (Read 4069 times)
MWNinja

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2014, 06:50:41 AM

More amateurs trying to mine in a warehouse; when will you clowns learn? The rest of the world has already figured out how to do efficient power and cooling; and they can deliver it with a critical environment team that guarantees uptime and redundancy for power and cooling.  And thanks to efficiencies it costs about the same.... go with bullshit solutions and next thing you know dust and heat are going to fuck up your gear. 20kw? Are you fucking kidding me? We have nearly that much in just one cabinet. Your POE numbers in the back of a warehouse are going to suck, you'll end up spending 3x your net power cost from the utility once you try to cool things properly.  Sorry to shit on your thread, but seriously take a hard look at real datacenters.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 06:56:26 AM

More amateurs trying to mine in a warehouse; when will you clowns learn? The rest of the world has already figured out how to do efficient power and cooling; and they can deliver it with a critical environment team that guarantees uptime and redundancy for power and cooling.  And thanks to efficiencies it costs about the same.... go with bullshit solutions and next thing you know dust and heat are going to fuck up your gear. 20kw? Are you fucking kidding me? We have nearly that much in just one cabinet. Your POE numbers in the back of a warehouse are going to suck, you'll end up spending 3x your net power cost from the utility once you try to cool things properly.  Sorry to shit on your thread, but seriously take a hard look at real datacenters.

With the right effort and the right team this won't be a bunch of numbnutz just slapping it together. There is a lot more going for projects like this than you can estimate when looking at the first plan. I would seriously look into the use of systems like what  ASICminer built in Hong Kong for cooling using Novec etc. There might also be ASIC fabricators that will produce units that are more suited to this in the coming months. I wish you guys the best. Wish I was still up in Barrie I'd be down the 400 in heartbeat to help out and invest!

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
klondike_bar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 03:32:04 PM

Its funny then that your hosted groupbuys are so expensive - I guess you must be making a lot of profit on that.

This is a step up from mining at home. commercial power costs and availability, 600V A/C system, and the benefits of getting equipment out of your house where it is going to get VERY hot and noisy in the next 4 months are all motivators for me.

I looked at co-location. What I found was that I could (if lucky) fit about 10kW of equipment into a rack based on the antminer power use and size, and at a cost higher then the rent for this small farm. I will have lots of space - equal to 3-5 racks - plus lots of power. I also have people on-site who can perform basic upkeep and the location is pretty accessible for me to do larger adjustments.

This location may just be the first step. If 20kW of power capacity is reached - either a new transformer will go in for pretty small cost, or I will start looking at getting a private building with >80kW capacity - possibly even in another province where power costs are 30-60% less than Ontario.

Not sure why your very negative outlook on this - at 20kW it is a short-term solution (4-9 months before power capacity is reached and a fund is started towards another location and more equipment) and will act as a test-bed for a lot of things that could not be done in a residential location where <5kW can be reliably accessed without major work.   If you have been following some of bobsag3's work with an american industrial building converted to run a few dozen TH along one wall you might better understand my thoughts.

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
klondike_bar (OP)
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 03:34:04 PM

With the right effort and the right team this won't be a bunch of numbnutz just slapping it together. There is a lot more going for projects like this than you can estimate when looking at the first plan. I would seriously look into the use of systems like what  ASICminer built in Hong Kong for cooling using Novec etc. There might also be ASIC fabricators that will produce units that are more suited to this in the coming months. I wish you guys the best. Wish I was still up in Barrie I'd be down the 400 in heartbeat to help out and invest!

I think we are still 6-12 months away from any reliable immersion/2-phase solutions for bitcoin that do not cost an arm and a leg to cool technology with only a short useful lifespan.

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
Bicknellski

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 03:41:10 PM

With the right effort and the right team this won't be a bunch of numbnutz just slapping it together. There is a lot more going for projects like this than you can estimate when looking at the first plan. I would seriously look into the use of systems like what  ASICminer built in Hong Kong for cooling using Novec etc. There might also be ASIC fabricators that will produce units that are more suited to this in the coming months. I wish you guys the best. Wish I was still up in Barrie I'd be down the 400 in heartbeat to help out and invest!

I think we are still 6-12 months away from any reliable immersion/2-phase solutions for bitcoin that do not cost an arm and a leg to cool technology with only a short useful lifespan.

I'd agree. The WPC are keen on being there with something that would make that "lifespan" less of a concern both in cooling and miners.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
klondike_bar (OP)
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 03:56:38 PM

With the right effort and the right team this won't be a bunch of numbnutz just slapping it together. There is a lot more going for projects like this than you can estimate when looking at the first plan. I would seriously look into the use of systems like what  ASICminer built in Hong Kong for cooling using Novec etc. There might also be ASIC fabricators that will produce units that are more suited to this in the coming months. I wish you guys the best. Wish I was still up in Barrie I'd be down the 400 in heartbeat to help out and invest!

I'd agree. The WPC are keen on being there with something that would make that "lifespan" less of a concern both in cooling and miners.

Im definitely keeping an eye on the WPC. Ive got a fat mining wallet right now and am waiting for someone to bring a product at a leading price point (Bitmain at 1.45BTC is no longer relevant - should be 1.2BTC). 

Bicknellski

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 05:07:16 PM

Im definitely keeping an eye on the WPC. Ive got a fat mining wallet right now and am waiting for someone to bring a product at a leading price point (Bitmain at 1.45BTC is no longer relevant - should be 1.2BTC). 

I am hopeful that a local fab in TO or Montreal can produce what we put out there as open source. Less delay is the key in this game.

klondike_bar (OP)
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 11:29:18 PM

I am hopeful that a local fab in TO or Montreal can produce what we put out there as open source. Less delay is the key in this game.

I don't know of anyone at the moment - local production costs can be pretty high compared with overseas options.. However, if someone does setup in Ontario they should let me know Smiley

precrime3

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

PM for journalist,typing,and data entry services.

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 08:28:15 PM

IF shipping is cheap enough (I live on eastern coast of US) I'd consider it once my gear has pushed my circuit breakers to the limit lol

klondike_bar (OP)
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 07:59:55 PM

right now, the collective is on 'pause' while i sort out some of my own hardware and evaluate the temperature and noise limits of the location. I will be running over 7kW of my own equipment by mid-April and am still not 100% sure how much cooling the AC can handle in summer (10kW? 18kW? more?) so am hesitant to start adding other equipment if capacity is limited.

I'm hoping to change this very soon, but the concerpt was created with bitcoin>$800 in mind so that equipment costs would make a few kW of power use very expensive hardware-wise. now, 1kW can be almost be fully used by <2BTC of antminer equipment and this drastically affects the scalability.

Even if this space is not suitable for a collective and/or >15kW of power draw - I am still aiming to move to a much larger (at least 60kW) location later in 2014.

I might still do some hosting in the near future, but the learning experience is causing me to think the current location will not be large enough to do what I originally planned for the collective (which was to have 20kW+ capacity using machines more valuable then they are at the moment)

regards
:Luke

ps: here is the state of the setup right now - 18kW of available power could be easily fit into 1-2 shelving units but I am beginning to think it would not be difficult for me to fill them almost exclusinvely with my own equipment, and even if hosting only 1-3 other people would really be able to share the space

There are 5 antminers on the shelf, 1 more on the top shelf, 4 more in the plastic crates at the side, and I will be adding 4 more on wednesday for a total of 3TH
When the Bitmain S2 arrives I will be drawing about 7kW for >4TH of hashing power. That will give me a better idea on the limitations and capabilities of the system

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: