Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 03:09:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: January 31st Impact on Bitcoin  (Read 2719 times)
janpec1000 (OP)

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

Play2Live presale starts on 25th January

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 10:01:59 PM

Hey guys,

On end of January USA financial regulators will "discuss" Bitcoin. I am here to see what you guys are guessing ahead, i am at momment holding on pesimistic but realistic view that this will almsot certainly lead to ban of Bitcoin from USA, trough some skitty financial license law where license will be distributed very very rarely.

It should be at least 30% drop in BTC price, i am even thinking quickly signing for SP500 broker and short BTC for few days. Not that i am not believer in BTC, becouse i am but i am completly realistic as what can gathering of regulatory mobsters bring.

yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 10:14:23 PM

Quick! Get Proudhno so he can tell us just how really bad this is.

Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 10:16:24 PM

Quick! Get Proudhno so he can tell us just how really bad this is.

LOL, good one bro!
Singlebyte

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 10:27:15 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2014, 06:32:11 AM by Singlebyte

Lol at OP post.  Probably should be moved to speculation.
rext

Activity: 378

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 10:31:33 PM

doubt bitcoin would be banned, if they wanted to, they would done so earlier already. Tax Regulations could be it.
SirBitsalot

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 10:34:54 PM

What happens if they "shut down" Bitcoins? Lol
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 10:43:16 PM

Hey guys,

On end of January USA financial regulators will "discuss" Bitcoin. I am here to see what you guys are guessing ahead, i am at momment holding on pesimistic but realistic view that this will almsot certainly lead to ban of Bitcoin from USA, trough some skitty financial license law where license will be distributed very very rarely.

It should be at least 30% drop in BTC price, i am even thinking quickly signing for SP500 broker and short BTC for few days. Not that i am not believer in BTC, becouse i am but i am completly realistic as what can gathering of regulatory mobsters bring.

If they are banning it, why allow the Winklevoss ETF to have any progress at all?

They will probably clarify that it is a commodity subject to Capital Gains.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
indiemax

Activity: 722
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 11:50:47 AM

Hey guys,

If they are banning it, why allow the Winklevoss ETF to have any progress at all?

They will probably clarify that it is a commodity subject to Capital Gains.

Spot on,it's a commodity/private money, and regulation has to be expected if it's to be accepted,
so nothing to be bothered about.
The real question is if Bitcoin will allow regulation or try to be a total ass and reject any input from the financial world, if holders want to get more adoption it's a no brainer.
T.Stuart

Activity: 644

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 12:02:01 PM

The opposite will happen, sadly for you and your ridiculous attempt to cause panic, OP.

At the end of this month there will be more excited press around the New York hearing.

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 01:00:47 PM

If you had asked me a couple years ago if the US government would try to "ban" bitcoin I would have said the odds were good.  Nowadays though I don't see it happening. The growing trend is that the US government is fine with bitcoin and they see the benefits it offers to business, consumers, and the economy. They just want to make sure there's some proper regulations in place just like we have with fiat or credit cards or whatever. A framework so businesses know how to operate legally more than anything.

I'm not too worried about it. Not based on recent trends coming from the US government on bitcoin anyways.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
stancarrott

Activity: 29

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 04:38:50 PM

If you had asked me a couple years ago if the US government would try to "ban" bitcoin I would have said the odds were good.  Nowadays though I don't see it happening. The growing trend is that the US government is fine with bitcoin and they see the benefits it offers to business, consumers, and the economy.

I agree.

Consider this: would the US government (FBI) auction BTC to US citizens, then "ban" it?
That would be a pretty unpopular decision, I don't see it happening. Therefore, I see the FBI auction as a hugely positive indicator of US official sentiment.
segeln

Activity: 602

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 05:16:58 PM

If you had asked me a couple years ago if the US government would try to "ban" bitcoin I would have said the odds were good.  Nowadays though I don't see it happening. The growing trend is that the US government is fine with bitcoin and they see the benefits it offers to business, consumers, and the economy.

I agree.

Consider this: would the US government (FBI) auction BTC to US citizens, then "ban" it?
That would be a pretty unpopular decision, I don't see it happening. Therefore, I see the FBI auction as a hugely positive indicator of US official sentiment.
I just postet the same consideration here  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=397534.20
stancarrott

Activity: 29

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 05:28:19 PM

I just postet the same consideration here  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=397534.20

Great minds, eh?  Grin

Yeah, I was surprised nobody else was mentioning this point...

And in your other link, the court's decision sets an interesting precedent.
segeln

Activity: 602

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 05:35:24 PM

Yeah, I was surprised nobody else was mentioning this point...
And in your other link, the court's decision sets an interesting precedent.
yeah,I also was astonished of the neglicence of those most important legal issues.
chessnut
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 12:06:43 AM

Hey guys,

That the USA would ban bitcoin does not gel with the sale of DPRs 30k bitcoins by the FBI. The USA is run by and for investors, I simply dont see them banning a commodity they have just sold millions of dollars worth of. besides, the FBI holds a further 144k bitcoin. With the potential price of bitcoin in the future, they will be shooting themselves in the foot to ban it. If the regulators can come to any conclusion what so ever it is likely to be only a good thing, because it gives all the legit investors something they can finally act upon, and besides, you cant regulate bitcoin.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 12:09:48 AM

Hey guys,

the most bullish part about this is that you think this is bearish.

BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 05:16:23 AM

What would happen if they banned file sharing?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

deadfi$h

Activity: 125

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 05:37:01 AM

What would happen if they banned file sharing?

Hahaha exactly. Which major bitcoin exchanges are hosted in the U.S. again?
phr0stbyt3

Activity: 672

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 05:52:29 AM

The opposite will happen, sadly for you and your ridiculous attempt to cause panic, OP.

At the end of this month there will be more excited press around the New York hearing.

Money follows attention.
coinminercom

Activity: 31

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 06:05:49 AM

Buy now and hold because the prices are going to skyrocket! There is no bad news coming Jan 31. expect the IRS to not have any tax details until at least next year, its still an unknown how to handle digital currency. Companies now in the USA are heavily engaged in the regulation process and working with the gov to help them understand the space more. No bad news coming.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: