Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 02:11:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lawyer says Winklevoss ETF process going smoothly  (Read 1062 times)
ohiofarmer (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 10:26:21 PM

The WSJ just posted an update on the Winklevoss ETF. Per their lawyer:

“The SEC has generally been receptive. We are working through common procedures and working through the registration process and we have not gotten any show stoppers. We think the SEC understands the nature of the project and understands that it does bring stability to bitcoin.”

Story: http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2014/01/17/lawyer-for-winkelvoss-twins-bitcoin-etf-says-sec-review-going-smoothly/?mod=WSJBlog

I think this would be a multi-billion-dollar event for bitcoin, and I'm hoping it goes through.

rext

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 10:30:02 PM

good that bitcoin is taken more seriously now Cheesy
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 10:35:04 PM

Until you can't go to a random store in the end of the world and find out they accept BTC, it won't be considered more seriously. Although this is positive exposure.

whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 10:37:33 PM

He said the Trust is making the case that bitcoin – often referred to as a digital currency – should be treated as a capital asset rather than, say, a currency or a commodity. That means bitcoin investments should be subject to capital gains taxes. Although some of the early enthusiasts for bitcoin might be put off by the arrival of a taxation regime, big institutions will welcome clarity on the taxation status for the new technology, Mr. Greebel said.

"The Trust" is doing what?

Are they making decisions about Bitcoin to some entity behind the Bitcoin users' backs?

I hope I just misunderstood that.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 10:40:07 PM

He said the Trust is making the case that bitcoin – often referred to as a digital currency – should be treated as a capital asset rather than, say, a currency or a commodity. That means bitcoin investments should be subject to capital gains taxes. Although some of the early enthusiasts for bitcoin might be put off by the arrival of a taxation regime, big institutions will welcome clarity on the taxation status for the new technology, Mr. Greebel said.

Are they making decisions about Bitcoin to some entity behind the Bitcoin users' backs?

I think virtually all Americans already assume that bitcoins will be taxed as Capital Gains.  This isn't that big of a deal since everyone expected it already.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 10:42:51 PM

I think virtually all Americans already assume that bitcoins will be taxed as Capital Gains.  This isn't that big of a deal since everyone expected it already.

That is changing quite fast with the UK decision to treat it as a private currency to which capital gains tax does not apply. Unless the US wants to be left behind. 
bluemeanie1

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 10:43:37 PM

oh yes, Bitcoin users are going to LOVE this new aspect to Bitcoin.  The Winklevoss twins said so!

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 10:44:32 PM

That's news to me. But that's beside the point.

Personally, I don't like the idea of some private trust working behind the scenes in their own self-interest.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
SirBitsalot

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 10:46:25 PM

Could be bad or good. The more eyes on Bitcoin means more chances for bad things to happen (ex: bans)
ohiofarmer (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 10:48:53 PM

He's referring to the "bitcoin trust," which is the official name for the etf. I wouldn't say they're making decisions so much as trying to guide the SEC toward viewing bitcoin in a certain light (i.e. as an asset rather than currency or commodity). I haven't done enough research to know if that's a good thing or not, though I do know the capital gains tax rate is lower than other tax rates (if you make more than $72k a year). Capital gains are taxed at 20% in 2013. Personal income is taxed on a sliding scale with the bulk of people paying 15%. if you make more than $72k, though, your tax rate jumps to 25% and keeps climbing from there all the way up to an obscene 39%! So, I guess it's good if you're making a lot of dough.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: