Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:48:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: What are your Bitcoin Client Feature Request / wishlist?  (Read 4096 times)
Matt Corallo
expert

Activity: 755
Merit: 515

View Profile
March 10, 2011, 04:21:34 PM

It is much easier to break stuff than to build it.

Removing the miner and GUI is a nobrainer. Just remove it and let someone else to build GUI on top of JSON API, in just a few weeks there will be a handful of competing GUI implementations. Every PHP 'programmer' out there would take a shot at it. The best way to improve stuff in open source world is to let go.
There already is one client that runs via RPC, and it is very unstable...I think its a good idea, in theory, and may be good for some people, but most people don't want to have to bother with opening multiple programs just to run Bitcoin.  There already is bitcoind which does what you want, just help make Spesmilo better.
Currently, the devs dont want to deffer too much from what Satoshi intended.  This keeps one client which is "mainline", but with all the new clients there should be plenty to do what you want. 
I do, however, agree that "Generate Bitcoins" should be removed or, at least, renamed to something like "Donate CPU Time to help the Bitcoin Network" due to the extreme difficulty of mining on CPUs these days. 

Spesmilo isn't unstable but it requires a patch to bitcoin that has been ignored,
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3856.0

This is needed. But nobody has merged it in yet.
The patch isn't necessary if you run bitcoind 24/7 anyway (which I do).  It is still unstable for me.  I set some setting a long time ago, and now it wont open to let me revert it (and I have no idea where it saves it, some retarded qt location which I can't seem to find). 

Bitcoin Core, rust-lightning, http://bitcoinfibre.org etc.
PGP ID: 07DF 3E57 A548 CCFB 7530  7091 89BB B866 3E2E65CE

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
genjix
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
March 10, 2011, 05:13:39 PM

It is much easier to break stuff than to build it.

Removing the miner and GUI is a nobrainer. Just remove it and let someone else to build GUI on top of JSON API, in just a few weeks there will be a handful of competing GUI implementations. Every PHP 'programmer' out there would take a shot at it. The best way to improve stuff in open source world is to let go.
There already is one client that runs via RPC, and it is very unstable...I think its a good idea, in theory, and may be good for some people, but most people don't want to have to bother with opening multiple programs just to run Bitcoin.  There already is bitcoind which does what you want, just help make Spesmilo better.
Currently, the devs dont want to deffer too much from what Satoshi intended.  This keeps one client which is "mainline", but with all the new clients there should be plenty to do what you want. 
I do, however, agree that "Generate Bitcoins" should be removed or, at least, renamed to something like "Donate CPU Time to help the Bitcoin Network" due to the extreme difficulty of mining on CPUs these days. 

Spesmilo isn't unstable but it requires a patch to bitcoin that has been ignored,
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3856.0

This is needed. But nobody has merged it in yet.
The patch isn't necessary if you run bitcoind 24/7 anyway (which I do).  It is still unstable for me.  I set some setting a long time ago, and now it wont open to let me revert it (and I have no idea where it saves it, some retarded qt location which I can't seem to find). 

You must be using the gitorious branch from luke-jr... Try this version https://github.com/genjix/spesmilo

I guarantee that's stable.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
March 11, 2011, 01:47:50 AM

True, but why the hell it requires all those widget and X libs.

bitcoind doesn't require wxwidgets. The GUI isn't built when you compile bitcoind.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
March 11, 2011, 03:50:35 AM

keep your private keys secure in the same way that gpg dose.  Grin

One off NP-Hard.
SATOSHl

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2011, 03:59:59 AM

How about a 1000 BTC bonus for new users?  That way everyone will have bitcoins.  I'll ask Gavin.   Grin
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 11, 2011, 04:30:00 AM

How about a 1000 BTC bonus for new users?  That way everyone will have bitcoins.  I'll ask Gavin.   Grin

Great idea!  Then I'll write a script that installs a new client, transfers the free 1000 BTC to my other client, deletes the new client and repeats forever!  Give everyone free money, and we will all be rich!

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2011, 05:27:26 AM

I would like to be able to see my client running on Fluxbox WM.  I'm guessing that it tries to minimize to a tray, but does not show up in the Fluxbox tray.  Some command line switch to prevent auto-minimizing would be helpful.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

Groc (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

Bounty manager (https://t.me/Gudwinn)

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 03:39:23 AM

This would be nice:

My top feature request is the ability to choose which coins to send in a transaction.

In another thread, they proposed bringing accounts into the UI, and doing them a little differently. Every transaction would be labelled with an account name. You could filter your wallet and only view txns for a certain account. And most importantly, you could pay from an account, and it would only use coins from that account.

This would make accounts be like virtual wallets, so you could have anonymous accounts and identity based accounts, and the coins wouldn't get intermixed. This should satisfy at least some use cases for choosing coins to pay with.

Maybe these should be called something different from accounts, as current accounts are kind of fictitious. Moving money between accounts is currently just bookkeeping, while with what I am talking about it would require an actual transaction. Maybe these should be called something like virtual wallets, or wallet partitions.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 05:25:27 AM

This is a really old thread.  Strangely, the best ideas here still aren't implimented for most clients.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: