Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:33:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best practices for altcoin wallets  (Read 575 times)
2bfree (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 251

I'm investigating Crypto Projects

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 02:25:46 PM

Ok, I'm at 20+ altcoin wallets some on mac some on windows it's a figin mess Sad

Is there someone some best practices guide how to handle all this so I can read it.

In the mean time for the wallets that I opened just for giveaway's I was thinking to to encript the wallet.dat and rename it to the name of the coin for example earth.dat then put one copy on dropbox one on some other free cloud storage my guestion is if i leave it there for a year come back can i restore knowing my password and get all the coins that was send to me next question is if I delete the wallet just save the wallet.dat can someone still send me money to my wallet address even if the wallet is deleted?

Sorry I'm new to all this trying to figure it all out. Thanks and bfree!

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
>>FREE SEO AUDIT/WHITE LABEL MAKE MONEY!<<
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheNexusProtocol

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 02:36:35 PM

http://neuvira.com/

This is a altcoin wallet that is going into beta tonight, it is designed to solve your problems. Do not place any coins in it yet though as it's alpha and will be wiped before beta.

Kind Regards,

The Nexus Protocol Team.
Denmor

Activity: 98

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 02:47:56 PM

Just use Cryptsy if you don't want those 20 wallets sitting on your PC. You can see the link below.

And yes, they can send coins to your address even if you don't have a wallet installed. Also dropbox isn't the best place to store your wallet.dat, anything can happen so in addition to cloud storage, always make a backup to flashdrive.

Trade your Crypto: https://www.cryptsy.com/users/register?refid=32253

My tradekey: 05fa7e3250aeca31946ee5943666cdeed93525fb

Get some free Coins every day!    
http://qoinpro.com/2ab59ea5f5fac439231ba2a86d7948fb
2bfree (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 02:52:17 PM

Just use Cryptsy if you don't want those 20 wallets sitting on your PC. You can see the link below.

And yes, they can send coins to your address even if you don't have a wallet installed. Also dropbox isn't the best place to store your wallet.dat, anything can happen so in addition to cloud storage, always make a backup to flashdrive.

I was thinking about just buying and keeping on Cryptsy I did a test the other day it was super easy.

The thing I want to know lets asume no one can break the wallet.dat (encrypted) and I made 10 copies a year later grab one can I then download a brand new wallet and restore it knowing the password. In other words if i save wallet.dat and delete the wallet files can I a year later have my money, in other words is the wallet.dat all I need in order to preserve my savings for that coin?

Sorry if this is an ignorant questions I just need to get to some understanding. Thanks

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Denmor

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 03:00:28 PM

Yes, of course you can. The only thing that can happen is wallet.dat getting corrupt, and that's why you need to have a few backups instead of just one. Just install a wallet to your PC whenever you want (a year later as you say) and paste your wallet.dat to it's original place and you will get all your coins. Oh, and backup your password aswell, it's even easier to forget it than lose your wallet.dat :p

2bfree (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 03:05:21 PM

Yes, of course you can. The only thing that can happen is wallet.dat getting corrupt, and that's why you need to have a few backups instead of just one. Just install a wallet to your PC whenever you want (a year later as you say) and paste your wallet.dat to it's original place and you will get all your coins. Oh, and backup your password aswell, it's even easier to forget it than lose your wallet.dat :p

Ok, great thank you @Denmor, just so I have this 100% straight tell me if there is a flaw here, lets say I put $100 in Feather coin, then I encrypt  the wallet (save the password somewhere safe I got that worked out already over the years) then make 10 copies verify a few to make sure they are not corrupt put 10 in 10 places, zip drive, cloud storage, my website etc...

Come back in a year, download the Feather coin wallet on a brand get laptop, grab my Feather.dat from dropbox rename it Wallet.dat replace the current wallet.dat and wolla my $100 in Feather coin are there?

I'm assuming no one can break the encryption other then that is this reasonably safe to do? I would just need 1 of the 10 Feather.dat files to survive in order to retrieve the money right?

Denmor

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 03:10:03 PM

Yes, yes and yes. It's absolutely safe if you do everything right, those are called CRYPTOcurrencies for a reason. No one can break it.

2bfree (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 03:22:48 PM

Yes, yes and yes. It's absolutely safe if you do everything right, those are called CRYPTOcurrencies for a reason. No one can break it.

Thanks @Denmor for having patience with me I really appreciate it. I sell my services for for fiat via websites what my plan is to start selling for crypto currencies then I'm going to start spreading them across the ones I think might survise and put some on cryptcy, some in different wallets some in online wallets etc I figure they all can get lost or stolen in other words spread the risk as much as posible some of them will be worth something in the future. I use to dream about stuff like this had no idea Satoshi invented it, it's just amazing!

Kenshin

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 03:48:46 PM

I put all my wallets on Google Drive. It has 2 factor authentication. It is a lot more secure than dropbox.

I create a folder name of the coin, and put the wallet.dat in that folder.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: